Realignment Crystal Ball

Anyone so ill-informed and so without a clue as to how decision-making proceeds in major universities in the modern era should NOT be sp foolish as to expose himself near an elementary school, on a downtown street or on the internet.

If you have the least notion of (a) how faculties have long ago become primary discipline-oriented, career-promotion taking dominant preference over institutional loyalties, (b) how personal reputation & achievements shaped grants and other funding more than institutional identity, (c) the extent to which deans have lost their autonomy and ability to function as a buffer between top administrators & faculty, and (d) the declining governance-role of senior, tenured faculty and even the effectiveness of faculty senates, etc---then you would know how improbable it is that the views of the U of TX faculty about academic quality, other such nebulae of prestige would get much of a hearing from the Texas regents who make the decisions.

You don't even have to know how universities function. If you know American politics you understand that decisions about education not only are made in Texas by Texas politicians...but that they don't brook interence from such as teachers, librarians, writers, artists, intellectuals, or anyone else who smacks of fellow-traveling with learning or educated people.

Big UnTENable Conference (The BUC)

I would like to see the consultant report that said the Big10/11 would be making money (at least no decrease in current share of the pie) with Missouri, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers. I don't know how many times I have seen comments that the big eastern cities are PRO towns, not college (except maybe Big East basketball). Also, given that the federal government has $60+ TRILLION in unfunded liabilities to think about, will there still be all kinds of AAU "research" (actually tax) money around? Notre Dame is not an AAU member, so do they get such research money with so few graduate programs? That's an important issue, since the research money dwarfs the football money and University Presidents, not coaches, will be making the decision on expansion.

The new conference title Big UnTENable Conference (The BUC) would acknowledge how unwieldy 16 teams will be, keeps TEN in the title for nostalgia, and recognizes that it's all about the buck. Let's hear it for the BUC! And pods are for whales, not football conferences.

P.S. Anyone know if O'Keefe has worked all winter perfecting his run right, run left, incomplete pass, punt offense? No opponent is ever out of that kind of game.

PSU division is cupcake city.

Iowa and Illinois should switch places. ILL has a grudge rivalry with Mizzou and Iowa has rivalries with Minn and Wisky.

I think something worth keeping an eye on is any
statements released about the B10 intending to start
their baseball season sooner. I think that would be a
good indicator that Texas is coming.

Re: Big UnTENable Conference (The BUC)

I would like to see the consultant report that said the Big10/11 would be making money (at least no decrease in current share of the pie) with Missouri, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers. I don't know how many times I have seen comments that the big eastern cities are PRO towns, not college (except maybe Big East basketball). Also, given that the federal government has $60+ TRILLION in unfunded liabilities to think about, will there still be all kinds of AAU "research" (actually tax) money around? Notre Dame is not an AAU member, so do they get such research money with so few graduate programs? That's an important issue, since the research money dwarfs the football money and University Presidents, not coaches, will be making the decision on expansion.

The new conference title Big UnTENable Conference (The BUC) would acknowledge how unwieldy 16 teams will be, keeps TEN in the title for nostalgia, and recognizes that it's all about the buck. Let's hear it for the BUC! And pods are for whales, not football conferences.

P.S. Anyone know if O'Keefe has worked all winter perfecting his run right, run left, incomplete pass, punt offense? No opponent is ever out of that kind of game.

Relax, if it does not make sense financially, they will not expand.
You think the Big Ten is exploring it because they will lose money?
Chicago is strictly a pro town also. BTN still does fine there.

Latest posts