Reaction to Bowl Wins: Iowa and Iowa State

jameskalina

Seems to me the Iowa State team was very animated about their Insight.Com bowl win. I read comments suggesting the players expect their program to really take off and do great things in the future. The way they were celebrating makes one think they just won the Big Twelve conference title or won a New Years Day bowl game for the first time.

Iowa, on the other hand, seemed less animated and seemed to take the win more in stride. The Hawks also expressed optimism for the fuure but not to the extent of the Cyclones.

I guess there's difference on how a team reacts to success in expecting to win (Iowa) verse hoping to win (Iowa State).

Oh wow. Truly a great post. Where to start....

Have you ever, and I mean EVER, heard a player say that they expect their program to stink the next year?!?! Of course the players think the program is going to take off next year. They won 2 games last year and 7 this year. They now have confidence they didn't have before. Nothing wrong with that

Iowa's players were also very animated after the game. Really no different at all. As they should be! They just won the Orange Bowl

I think it also has a lot to do with the personality the team on from it's coaches. Kirk is a pretty subdued guy and the team follows. Rhoads seems a lot more animated, just like Iowa follows Kirk, Iowa State follows Rhoads.

You also have to remember that Iowa State had 5 wins in the last 2 years... that was their 7th win this year alone.

Last edited:
Agree with everybody except the O.P.

Iowa State should be excited. They have a coach who has shown them how to win, how to enjoy life, your job, and is doing a phenomenal job up in Ames.
With that being said... Paul Rhoads and Kirk Ferentz both represent everything that the state of Iowa has come to expect from their coaches, not only as coaches, but as positive representatives of this state.
Iowa players were going crazy last night, it was fun to watch both teams celebrate the end of great seasons and be happy and excited about the future of each program.

I respect your opinions.

It's how I observed the reaction of each team after their wins with a possible explanation of why this is.

I think it also has a lot to do with the personality the team on from it's coaches. Kirk is a pretty subdued guy and the team follows. Rhoads seems a lot more animated, just like Iowa follows Kirk, Iowa State follows Rhoads.

You also have to remember that Iowa State had 5 wins in the last 2 years... that was their 7th win this year alone.

I thought Kirk looked pretty damn happy and excited last night. Kirk generally does the poker player thing. He gets that little corner-of-the-mouth-smile on the sidelines, but rarely would I describe it as "joy". I thought at the end of the game he looked downright joyous...for Kirk. And the players were absolutely mobbing him.

I was expecting a much different read when I opened the thread, thinking it was going to be about state pride rather than a little bit of a pot stir.

I for one am very excited about both bowl wins. I think ISU is on a good path, but I've thought that before as well.

If they are, and the two teams continue on the paths they have established this year, the Cy-Hawk Trophy game will be one a lot of eyes will focus on. That's my dream - I doubt it will ever reach the level of national implications that the wrestling duals do - but that the in-state game becomes one of national importance would be really cool.

Yes I disagree with the OP also. I thought both teams looked very happy to win their respective bowls. Ferentz momentarily forgot who he had just played, Wake Forest? ANyway, good for Iowa St. good for Iowa.

Iowa State Fans are reacting very similarly to how Iowa fans did in 2001 for the Alamo Bowl. Until this year the cyclones had gone four years without a bowl. The post McCarney years were a time of rebuilding with vast internal improvements being done to the team. Though the talent and attitudes were improving, the record did not indicate it. Finally Rhoads entered and molded Chiziks efforts into a bowl eligible squad.The Insight Bowl recognized this and invited a hungry fan base to its warm weather site. This scenario almost duplicates the beginning of the Ferentz era at Iowa. If ISU can duplicate even three fourths of Ferentz success can you imagine the powerhouse that this state would be.

Did any cyclone fan look at their schedule next year yet?

I don't see 7 wins there -- I see a few flat out killings by the opponents.

Hope is the only thing ISU has going for it. God it must suck to be a cyclone fan.

Sat, Sep 04 Northern Illinois Ames, Iowa TBA
Sat, Sep 11 Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa TBA
Sat, Sep 18 Utah Ames, Iowa TBA
Sat, Sep 25 Northern Iowa Ames, Iowa TBA
Sat, Oct 02 Texas Tech (Family Weekend) * Ames, Iowa TBA
Sat, Oct 09 Kansas State * at Kansas City, Mo. TBA
Sat, Oct 16 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla. TBA
Sat, Oct 23 Texas * at Austin, Texas TBA
Sat, Oct 30 Kansas (Homecoming) * Ames, Iowa TBA
Sat, Nov 06 Nebraska * Ames, Iowa TBA
Sat, Nov 13 Colorado * at Boulder, Colo. TBA
Sat, Nov 20 Missouri * Ames, Iowa

ISU has or had a right to celebrate they way they wanted to. If I was one of the players at ISU I would have whooped it up to. Think of what the kids went through with most of them seeing three HC. I'm not saying this to disrepect ISU but who knows how soon they will be back to a bowl, so why not celebrate after all the time and effort put into their season. Iowa on the other hand seem to have adopted our coaches personality which is great. Act like you have been there before, which Iowa has. I saw a lot of BIG smiles on the Iowa players faces, I'm sure they let loose once in the locker room. I don't have a problem with either team and as an Iowan I'm proud that both teams represented the state of Iowa very well.

This is not a day to stir up meaninless crap with ISU. They should be happy. We should be happy. Nuff said. A good day for both programs.

Iowa v. Isu will be a tussle. That's a good thing.

Hope is the only thing ISU has going for it. God it must suck to be a cyclone fan.

I only see 5 for sure losses (TX, OK, Iowa, Utah, and Nebraska) The rest are winnable I think.

Not a clone fan by any imagination but let's see how this comes out.

Northern Illinois - Win as the game is in Ames
Iowa - Loss
Utah - Loss
UNI - Win
Texas Tech - Loss
K State - Win
Oklahoma - Loss
Texas - Loss
Kansas - Win
Nebraska - Loss
Colorado - Win
Missouri - Close Loss

Looks like 5 - 7 to me???

I agree it is a tougher schedule than this years but it isn't as daunting as it looked a couple years ago. I'm usually the last one to pimp the Clowns but looking at this schedule they could go to another bowl next year. The non-con home games are all winnable (UNI and Utah neither are gimmies) and once the conference season starts anything goes. Tech will be breaking in a new coach with possibly a new system, the K-State game is a neutral field game that came down to a missed PAT last year, Kansas (see Tech) and they beat Nebby on the road last year! Win all those and split the last two and that's seven wins! Difficult but not impossible.

Latest posts