Rb problems are not just bad luck

It would have been decided if KF would not have done his signature move of taking his foot off the gas and go into prevent D when he has a decent lead at the half.

So just to make sure I'm reading this right, KF took his foot off the gas. I guess I saw something different since the missed tackles in one on one situations (the result of blitzing) led to points on the board and I don't remember seeing KF on the hands team when they recovered the onside kick. I guess KF must have played a phenominal 50+ minutes since he's being blamed for the last few. Haven't heard anyone suggest that maybe the players lost some of their focus when they got such a big lead. It looked like we did go a little more into bend don't break mentality playing with the lead, but forgive me if I don't think its on the staff.

So just to make sure I'm reading this right, KF took his foot off the gas. I guess I saw something different since the missed tackles in one on one situations (the result of blitzing) led to points on the board and I don't remember seeing KF on the hands team when they recovered the onside kick. I guess KF must have played a phenominal 50+ minutes since he's being blamed for the last few. Haven't heard anyone suggest that maybe the players lost some of their focus when they got such a big lead. It looked like we did go a little more into bend don't break mentality playing with the lead, but forgive me if I don't think its on the staff.
You're correct, the players lost a little focus and made some technical and mental errors. Our coaching staff is also paid millions to make sure that these same players are prepared for situations such as Saturday's fourth quarter, to avoid those errors. It's not all on the players and it's not all on the staff.

I'm not willing to say run Weisman 35 times a game but ride this horse as long as he'll take you. If he gets injured we'll deal with it at the time.

Can you imagine the uproar if we would have used Weisman less and somehow lost the game and KF says in his post game that he held Wesiman back to keep him healthy for future???

I'm not willing to say run Weisman 35 times a game but ride this horse as long as he'll take you. If he gets injured we'll deal with it at the time.

Can you imagine the uproar if we would have used Weisman less and somehow lost the game and KF says in his post game that he held Wesiman back to keep him healthy for future???
He's not an idiot. He wouldn't ever let those words out of his mouth.

Play action pass in the the 4th would have wide open and would have led to less running plays. Its hard to not just keep running the ball when you are getting 4 yards everytime. However if you dont have another rb that you trust to run the ball then at that point you are risking more than just one win.

Weisman will get hurt and then errbody can cry about how the ball didnt bounce Iowas way........again. OHHH we would have made a bowl if our rb didnt get hurt.

So they should just run Weisman and then hope he doesnt get hurt? You also have to notice that Bullock will get one carry and then go out and Weisman will get a couple in a row. I think if Bullock was featured a in series more he would do just fine.

I don't think anyone is saying that. Running backs other than Weisman got 16 carries in the game yesterday. 16 is a big number to give your non-starting running backs. The obvious adjustment is to get Daniels more into the mix. That will have to happen if Iowa continues to have this much success running the ball. Need to give Daniels a series or 2 in the first half. If the decision has been made to burn his redshirt, then Iowa needs to go ahead and get him in the game in the first half for meaningful snaps.

There will also be games this year where Iowa doesn't have 50+ rushing attempts by the backs. You have to convert a lot of 3rd-down opportunities to get that many touches for the backs, and not every game is going to be like last weekend in Ames.

But I don't think the philosophy is just to run Weisman until he gets hurt. The workload the last 2 weeks is excessive, but it's not like the other backs aren't getting carries. They just probably need a few more.

It would have been decided if KF would not have done his signature move of taking his foot off the gas and go into prevent D when he has a decent lead at the half.

Did you watch the game?? Please explain how KF took his foot off the gas in second half.

Have coaching staff teach running backs how to get lower than opponent, how to fall when being tackled, if it's your running style, deliver the blow before the D does, not absorbing the D's collision head on... how to keep from getting hurt when tackled... even Mr. Wrecking Ball...

Play action pass in the the 4th would have wide open and would have led to less running plays. Its hard to not just keep running the ball when you are getting 4 yards everytime. However if you dont have another rb that you trust to run the ball then at that point you are risking more than just one win.

Weisman will get hurt and then errbody can cry about how the ball didnt bounce Iowas way........again. OHHH we would have made a bowl if our rb didnt get hurt.

When did Iowa have the chance to run play-action in the fourth quarter? Iowa's first possession of the fourth quarter took nearly 8 minutes off the clock and resulted in Iowa scoring to go ahead 27-7 with a bit over 7 minutes left. What exactly should Iowa have done differently on that drive? That was beautiful, start the quarter with a 13-point lead, run half the quarter off while scoring a TD.

After that, ISU scored a TD with a bit over 4 minutes left to cut it to 27-14. ISU recovered the onside kick, then Lowery made the great interception on the Iowa 15-yard line. A bit over 4 minutes left at this point. ISU had 3 timeouts. Weisman tried one run (loss of 2). Then Rudock ran a bootleg with run/pass option. ISU read it well so he just ate the ball for loss of 1. 3rd and 12 on the 13 Iowa runs Weisman for 6. I agreed with how Iowa handled this drive as it made ISU use all 3 of their timeouts and Iowa didn't turn it over.

After ISU got the ball back and scored again, Iowa recovered the onside kick. Because ISU had no more timeouts, all Iowa had to do was run 3 plays and milk the clock down to under 10 seconds for the punt. Iowa had 3rd and 1 and gave it to Weisman but he didn't make it.

I agree that play-action would have been ideal had Iowa simply recovered the onside kick with 4 minutes left and Iowa ahead 27-14. Then you have the ball at midfield and you can do whatever you want. As it was, Iowa ended up at its own 15 with 4 minutes left and the goal became making ISU use its timeouts and not turning it over deep in our own end. One can argue that Iowa should have been more aggressive in that situation, but what happens if you throw it twice and its incomplete? Now ISU doesn't have to burn its timeouts and we aren't able to milk the clock. KF has faults as a game manager and time/score situations, but how they handled things up 27-14 and possession at our own 15, ISU with 3 timeouts was spot on. I want the coach to make choices that maximize the team's chances of winning, and forcing ISU to burn their timeouts was the right move.

When did Iowa have the chance to run play-action in the fourth quarter? Iowa's first possession of the fourth quarter took nearly 8 minutes off the clock and resulted in Iowa scoring to go ahead 27-7 with a bit over 7 minutes left. What exactly should Iowa have done differently on that drive? That was beautiful, start the quarter with a 13-point lead, run half the quarter off while scoring a TD.

After that, ISU scored a TD with a bit over 4 minutes left to cut it to 27-14. ISU recovered the onside kick, then Lowery made the great interception on the Iowa 15-yard line. A bit over 4 minutes left at this point. ISU had 3 timeouts. Weisman tried one run (loss of 2). Then Rudock ran a bootleg with run/pass option. ISU read it well so he just ate the ball for loss of 1. 3rd and 12 on the 13 Iowa runs Weisman for 6. I agreed with how Iowa handled this drive as it made ISU use all 3 of their timeouts and Iowa didn't turn it over.

After ISU got the ball back and scored again, Iowa recovered the onside kick. Because ISU had no more timeouts, all Iowa had to do was run 3 plays and milk the clock down to under 10 seconds for the punt. Iowa had 3rd and 1 and gave it to Weisman but he didn't make it.

I agree that play-action would have been ideal had Iowa simply recovered the onside kick with 4 minutes left and Iowa ahead 27-14. Then you have the ball at midfield and you can do whatever you want. As it was, Iowa ended up at its own 15 with 4 minutes left and the goal became making ISU use its timeouts and not turning it over deep in our own end. One can argue that Iowa should have been more aggressive in that situation, but what happens if you throw it twice and its incomplete? Now ISU doesn't have to burn its timeouts and we aren't able to milk the clock. KF has faults as a game manager and time/score situations, but how they handled things up 27-14 and possession at our own 15, ISU with 3 timeouts was spot on. I want the coach to make choices that maximize the team's chances of winning, and forcing ISU to burn their timeouts was the right move.
I love when people actually watch the game instead of using language they heard on espn.

I dont understand why they need to run Weisman soo much? Bullock looks very good and we are hearing good things about other backs. Bullock was having his way with ISU also so there was no reason he couldnt have taken the load in the 4th quarter.

I understand giving a rb 30+ carries if hes all you have but thats not the case.

This is not me saying the best player isnt on the field. Its me saying stop running one rb till he gets hurt every year and then transfers. This isnt bad luck anymore.

I should probably file this under 'what did ferentz learn from fry':

Record for most rush attempts per game:

42 - Sed. Shaw
41 - Sed. Shaw
39 - Dennis Mosely
38 - Albert Young
36- Eddie Philips
35 - Mark Weisman

So of the top 6, 4 are Fry backs. You know that none of Fry's backs above transferred, and I'm sure you know who was on the sidelines behind these backs. Given how much you say that Fry was so superior (my words, paraphrase your posts) to Ferentz, I thought it interesting this stat.

The scoring drives were great minus the fact that you are risking your greatest offensive weapon on the worst defense Iowa will play this year.

My main point is they are going to need to use the passing game and put points on the board or go to another rb because at this pace Weisman will not last. If Iowa want to break a cycle of not having any rbs then they need to play more running backs.

Just like a baseball players needs at bats. A rb needs a series to himself to get going.

I should probably file this under 'what did ferentz learn from fry':

Record for most rush attempts per game:

42 - Sed. Shaw
41 - Sed. Shaw
39 - Dennis Mosely
38 - Albert Young
36- Eddie Philips
35 - Mark Weisman

So of the top 6, 4 are Fry backs. You know that none of Fry's backs above transferred, and I'm sure you know who was on the sidelines behind these backs. Given how much you say that Fry was so superior (my words, paraphrase your posts) to Ferentz, I thought it interesting this stat.

So has Kirk been able to keep rbs healthy? So Kirks rbs get hurt and leave and Frys didnt. That is interesting. Sounds like kirk needs to change something.

The scoring drives were great minus the fact that you are risking your greatest offensive weapon on the worst defense Iowa will play this year.

My main point is they are going to need to use the passing game and put points on the board or go to another rb because at this pace Weisman will not last. If Iowa want to break a cycle of not having any rbs then they need to play more running backs.

Just like a baseball players needs at bats. A rb needs a series to himself to get going.
screw getting points we need the backups to have reps. Unless we lose then why are you not riding the hot hand.

screw getting points we need the backups to have reps. Unless we lose then why are you not riding the hot hand.

No you need to not injure your best offensive weapon against the worst defense that Iowa faces this year. Easton have you watched any Iowa football in the last 4 years? Have you noticed the lack of rbs? Games like this last one is why that happens.

No you need to not injure your best offensive weapon against the worst defense that Iowa faces this year. Easton have you watched any Iowa football in the last 4 years? Have you noticed the lack of rbs? Games like this last one is why that happens.
Nope not a one. I was hoping they would go 5 wide the whole game. Never know when you may need to have that set ready. I was also thinking we should have shimonek (sp??) Take a few snaps since this the worst d we will see.

Or we could of run play action all quarter.

Also since Barkley hill got injured running the ball in practice i propose we have all rbs learn crawl in practice. Or we could go win a game.....

What was the point of putting Wiseman in during Iowa's last offensive series... when Iowa's main goal was to eat up clock and/or force ISU to burn TOs? When 9.. er 11 of ISU's defensive players were gunning for Iowa's running back - to punch and gouge at the ball and/or ball carrier?

If you're KF and afraid of fumbling, have the Iowa running back take a knee as soon as an ISU player comes near. Besides, if running into the mass of players, either Bullock or Canzeri could have been more indoctrinated into the Ferentz style of running the ball... or move on like Garmon.

Last edited:
What was the point of putting Wiseman in during Iowa's last offensive series... when Iowa's main goal was to eat up clock and/or force ISU to burn TOs? When 9.. er 11 of ISU's defensive players were gunning for Iowa's running back - to punch and gouge at the ball and/or ball carrier?

If you're KF and afraid of fumbling, have the Iowa running back take a knee as soon as an ISU player comes near. Besides, either Bullock or Canzeri could have been more indoctrinated into the Ferentz style of running the ball... or move on like Garmon.
Or get a first down and you don't have to punt.

Holy crap the football dingbats are out today.

Latest posts