Rb problems are not just bad luck

OUTofTOWNHAWK

I dont understand why they need to run Weisman soo much? Bullock looks very good and we are hearing good things about other backs. Bullock was having his way with ISU also so there was no reason he couldnt have taken the load in the 4th quarter.

I understand giving a rb 30+ carries if hes all you have but thats not the case.

This is not me saying the best player isnt on the field. Its me saying stop running one rb till he gets hurt every year and then transfers. This isnt bad luck anymore.

I dont understand why they need to run Weisman soo much? Bullock looks very good and we are hearing good things about other backs. Bullock was having his way with ISU also so there was no reason he couldnt have taken the load in the 4th quarter.

I understand giving a rb 30+ carries if hes all you have but thats not the case.

This is not me saying the best player isnt on the field. Its me saying stop running one rb till he gets hurt every year and then transfers. This isnt bad luck anymore.

Bullock didn't have his way with the defense until his last series. He ran for 32 of his 50 yards in the first possession of the fourth quarter. The rest of the game, he was getting nowhere.

Bullock averages 4.2 On 40 carries. Weisman 5 on 85 carries. Not hard to figure that one. 4.2 isn't bad, but when you have a back that gets nearly a yard more? Canzeri averages 3.6 for 8 attempts.

Last edited:
Bullock averages 3.8? On 30-40 carries? Weisman 5 + on nearly 100 carries. Not hard to figure that one.

So they should just run Weisman and then hope he doesnt get hurt? You also have to notice that Bullock will get one carry and then go out and Weisman will get a couple in a row. I think if Bullock was featured a in series more he would do just fine.

I hear what you are saying. But this is KF we are talking about. The guy who refused to let anyone except JVB take a single snap at QB last season.

I think he runs Weisman into the ground. It's KF. What are ya gonna do?

Bullock didn't have his way with the defense until his last series. He ran for 32 of his 50 yards in the first possession of the fourth quarter. The rest of the game, he was getting nowhere.

Agree with you ...
Bullock has been pedestrian, at best, through 3 games and struggled to do anything against ISU, even after Weisman would soften them up each series.

Also agree with OoTH ...
They are overplaying Weisman and he WILL get hurt. However, the m.o. against ISU was clearly defined as, "We're gonna run you over." About 6-8 of Weisman's and all of Bullock's carries should have gone to Daniels to keep up that basic strategy of "ground-pound". (You're not worried about Daniels being a "tell" or if Daniels is gonna miss a blitz pick-up because neither of those situations were in the strategy. All you want out of Daniels is to continue to smash his 235# into Iowa State as hard and fast as he can, without fumbling.)

Going forward, as Iowa continues (finally) to actually play to it's strength and Badgerfy it's identity -- an overpowering OL followed by a platoon of enormous RB's that simply pound you into submission -- it would be a complete coaching crock if Daniels doesn't take more and more of Bullock's carries and some of Weisman's. Ideally, if Iowa truly plays to it's strength, they will be rushing the ball at least 65% (50 carries) of the time and Weisman and Daniels should be getting some combination of 40+ of those carries. Ruddock will probably get 3 or 4 and that leaves a handfull to give to Bullock and Canzeri.

We currently have one B1G caliber running back on the team.

His name is Mark Weisman. We'll see what Daniels turns into but Bullock and Canzeri are not the answer.

This is not me saying the best player isnt on the field. Its me saying stop running one rb till he gets hurt every year and then transfers. This isn't bad luck anymore.

When I saw the 35 carries tally at the end of the game I thought the same thing. But in fairness, the game never was "decided". You obviously want your most productive back in the game as much as possible, but I think there were opportunities to give Weisman a breather on a play here or there and keep him at 25 carries.

When I saw the 35 carries tally at the end of the game I thought the same thing. But in fairness, the game never was "decided". You obviously want your most productive back in the game as much as possible, but I think there were opportunities to give Weisman a breather on a play here or there and keep him at 25 carries.

It would have been decided if KF would not have done his signature move of taking his foot off the gas and go into prevent D when he has a decent lead at the half.

It would have been decided if KF would not have done his signature move of taking his foot off the gas and go into prevent D when he has a decent lead at the half.

Actually, the avalanche of scoring by ISU was due to just the opposite -- leaving disciplined contain and aggressive rush with the DL to attack mode by the LB's and 1-1 by the DB's. It's just that the back 4 on D aren't very good, aren't very athletic to compensate for not being very good, and keep getting burned.

Please explain for me what you mean by taking his foot off the gas...I really would like to read a couple of examples of this. Also, they actually were not in prevent defense...they blitzed continually in the second half and actually got burned for a TD because a LB blitzed right out of the underneath coverage on a slant route.

Actually it has been a lot of bad luck. The ARob injury is the only one that I can think of that could/should have been avoided.

Young/Schnoor/Lewis/Simmons in 2004 were all injured during games and they never had a real heavy workload.

Hampton was injured in camp, IIRC, in 2009.

ARob and Wegher were both banged up in 2009 towards the end but who else was Stanzi going to hand the ball off to that year?

I dont think we see Weisman go over 30 carries again this year as I think starting this week Daniels will get a lot more work as the #2 guy.

against Mizzou St we were rotating backs a lot. I'd like to see that pattern more, as the competition gets tougher. Weiseman isn't going to be able to bowl over Big Ten defenders as easily.

It will give Wieseman some rest, and lessen his chance of injury. It's also good to have fresh legs hitting the hole in the 2nd half as the defense tires. Hayden used Damien Simms at just the right time, to spell Albert Young. And he broke a lot of long runs. Canzeri has the same potential. Now that the redshirt is off of Daniels, we have a stronger back too.

Play em all.

against Mizzou St we were rotating backs a lot. I'd like to see that pattern more, as the competition gets tougher. Weiseman isn't going to be able to bowl over Big Ten defenders as easily.

It will give Wieseman some rest, and lessen his chance of injury. It's also good to have fresh legs hitting the hole in the 2nd half as the defense tires. Hayden used Damien Simms at just the right time, to spell Albert Young. And he broke a lot of long runs. Canzeri has the same potential. Now that the redshirt is off of Daniels, we have a stronger back too.

Play em all.
Hayden came back and coached in the mid 2000's? Because that is when Sims and Albert Young played here.

Are you that reluctant to give KF any sort of credit?​

Was there this much rumble about Le'veon Bell last year from Michigan State fans and media?

Bell carried 382 times last year, for 1793, 4.7/carry, and a long run of 40. Those are Weisman-esque numbers through a full thirteen game season.

Hayden came back and coached in the mid 2000's? Because that is when Sims and Albert Young played here.

Are you that reluctant to give KF any sort of credit?​

Nope, that was actually my point. We've had success with it before, let's do it again.

Obviously I typed Hayden in error. My bad. I need to concentrate on one thread and website at a time.