RB for 2015

I'll say this much, it is a damn good thing that kfootball doesn't have to practice his personnel decisions and game and clock management during the week. He's so bad on game day, at times, there is no way he should be the starting head coach.

All of you folks that believe kfootball is infallible and never makes a wrong decision just don't understand the reality.

I am NOT among those folks.

But I DO understand reality. And reality is that Kirk has the final say in all the personnel decisions. Not me. Not you. Not anyone on HN. THAT is a reality that so many here on HN don't understand.

You bolded a question in post you quoted, then you answered a question he didn't even ask. He didn't ask if he starts who YOU think is the best player. He asked if he starts the best player.

No one cares if he starts who HE believes is the best player. They only care if he starts the best player.

How you think people actually think Kirk might change his mind by reading what is posted on here is beyond my comprehension.

You have made an incorrect assumption. For example, when you make the statement, "They only care if he starts the best player", I'll ask you this: Who determines the criteria for being the best player? You see, you are leaving out the subjectiveness of the player evaluation. What one coach values the most is not what another values the most. One coach may value ball security the most. Another may value speed and elusiveness the most. Another may value a power runner the most. Yet another may value the ability to pass block. And another may value the ability to catch passes out of the backfield. These are a few of the criteria coaches use.

In Kirk's mind, he plays who he thinks is the best player. EVERY coach does that. The problem is that many here on HN don't agree with Kirk's decision.

And I DO think some people here on HN believe they can change Kirk's mind about who plays. How else do you rationalize 5,273 threads about who should be playing at (insert any skill position here) instead of who actually is playing?

Well one thing about the rb situation next year is this. I think the options will be better. We aren't sure what Daniels is really capable of yet. If he's good to go next year I like him as a short yardage guy at the least. I think his pass blocking leaves alot to be desired... The rest of them I don't see a ton of difference in. Between Canzeri Wadley Parker and Hilliard any one of them could emerge or some combo of them. If Smith or Higdon are playing that means either AIRBHG is back or they are absolute studs. Either way no more Weisman and Bullock... Bullock it's too bad they found his role so late. If he could have just been a 3rd down guy all this time he could have been pretty effective.

Finally, somebody else brings up something just as important for being a RB under Kirk. If you can't pass block, and pick up that blitzer, you're going to struggle to stay on the field. Couple years ago when everybody was saying McCall should get more playing time I remember him being in for two pass plays. On the first play he completely whiffed on the block and JVB got hammered, on the second play he got trucked letting JVB get hammered and fumbling. No more McCall on any potential pass play.

I'll say this much, it is a damn good thing that kfootball doesn't have to practice his personnel decisions and game and clock management during the week. He's so bad on game day, at times, there is no way he should be the starting head coach.

All of you folks that believe kfootball is infallible and never makes a wrong decision just don't understand the reality.

You'll have to show me the post that suggests anything of the sort.

Ill just wait here patiently. Kthx.

You have made an incorrect assumption. For example, when you make the statement, "They only care if he starts the best player", I'll ask you this: Who determines the criteria for being the best player? You see, you are leaving out the subjectiveness of the player evaluation. What one coach values the most is not what another values the most. One coach may value ball security the most. Another may value speed and elusiveness the most. Another may value a power runner the most. Yet another may value the ability to pass block. And another may value the ability to catch passes out of the backfield. These are a few of the criteria coaches use.

In Kirk's mind, he plays who he thinks is the best player. EVERY coach does that. The problem is that many here on HN don't agree with Kirk's decision.

And I DO think some people here on HN believe they can change Kirk's mind about who plays. How else do you rationalize 5,273 threads about who should be playing at (insert any skill position here) instead of who actually is playing?

Very well said Knight. Plus if you really break it down, there are about 10 examples that people get really fired up about on playing a certain player over another over KF 16 years. Put in perspective, KF puts out 22 starters a week, and has coached in 214 games, so that is making 4,708 position player decisions over those 16 years, and most people point to 5-10 decisions and say that proves KF doesn't play "the best player"

Finally, somebody else brings up something just as important for being a RB under Kirk. If you can't pass block, and pick up that blitzer, you're going to struggle to stay on the field. Couple years ago when everybody was saying McCall should get more playing time I remember him being in for two pass plays. On the first play he completely whiffed on the block and JVB got hammered, on the second play he got trucked letting JVB get hammered and fumbling. No more McCall on any potential pass play.

I think you're confused on the player because McCall played until he got hurt then fumbled right away after coming back from injury. He never played again after the fumble.

Iowa now looking at a JUCO according to HawkeyeReport. A recent offer and now he's taking an official visit this weekend. The coaching staff apparently doesn't like the options currently in the program for next season.

Your post is what I've been saying for years in response to people who say "I can't believe people actually think Kirk doesn't play the best players on porpose". I'm not sure how it applies here though.

If a coach places too high value on ball security and too low value on actual running ability, he can trick himself into believing a player like Weisman is better than a player like Gordon. Of course HE believes he made the right choice but it's painfully obvious he didn't. And of course when those decisions happen, people are going to write 5,273 posts on here complaining about it because this is a message board and that's what it's here for.

Very well said Knight. Plus if you really break it down, there are about 10 examples that people get really fired up about on playing a certain player over another over KF 16 years. Put in perspective, KF puts out 22 starters a week, and has coached in 214 games, so that is making 4,708 position player decisions over those 16 years, and most people point to 5-10 decisions and say that proves KF doesn't play "the best player"

There have been 5-10 decisions where it was so obvious it caused an uproar. How many were there that we don't even know about because they weren't so obvious? I don't blame Kirk for those though because those are the ones that every coach gets wrong from time to time. I do blame him for the 5-10 though because they should never happen.

Also your math is flawed. If you're going to multipy how many positions there are with hiw many positions there are, you need to multipy the 5-10 with how many games they would have played had he made the right choice. It would be a lot closer to being wrong 100 times. :)

In skill postiions for example, RB, WR, QB, and DB, some players should automatically be high in athleticism. Some coaches may have athleticism in the top, let's say, 3 reasons to choose a player for an athletic position. KF's first choice of any player for any position is NEVER because of athleticism. Athleticism may not be in the top 5 for KF.

Instead of saying KF picks the wrong player one should say KF never picks the athletic player. Then again, kfootball never has any athletic schemes, either. You have a hint of some ailments, then, of kfootball.

Last edited:
There have been 5-10 decisions where it was so obvious it caused an uproar. How many were there that we don't even know about because they weren't so obvious? I don't blame Kirk for those though because those are the ones that every coach gets wrong from time to time. I do blame him for the 5-10 though because they should never happen.

Also your math is flawed. If you're going to multipy how many positions there are with hiw many positions there are, you need to multipy the 5-10 with how many games they would have played had he made the right choice. It would be a lot closer to being wrong 100 times. :)

I understood that about the math, but I felt if weakened my argument, so I didn't include that. :eek:

My overall point is, there really aren't many instances of a player sitting on the bench that most felt were better. I say this even though I have been banging the drum for CJ for a long time now. Yet overall you just can't point to many mistake over 16 years like this.

See, he's where I disagree with your statement that KF hasn't made many mistakes over 16 years, dean. I think about Paul Chaney Jr... A speedster WR. The staff said Iowa couldn't use Chaney on punt returns because he 'fumbled the ball'.. Well, that bit of false gossip effectively allowed Iowa to continue to let the ball roll on punts (Iowa has never been a team to attempt to fair catch punts) which was KF's preference on punts at the time, anyway. Just like the false gossip by the football staff that CJ 'didn't know the play book'... this season.. which perpetuated KF's need to have a game manager's offense.

Both were major mistakes by the Iowa staff, KF in particular.

Last edited:
Canzeri will end up starting but in my opinion he won't be able to stay healthy enough to keep that locked down. It will be a competition between Daniels and Wadley the rest of the way. I like Parker's speed and play making ability but I think he is also too fragile for a 20 carries a game. Parker needs to be utilized in the slot for the Jet sweep, screens, and a deep passing threat not a primary ball carrier. I would also like to see Parker more agressive in the return game. He consistently let balls bounce and tended to dance a little too much, not to mention the fumbles.

I would also like to see how Wadley's hands are. That is one thing Iowa has lacked the last few years was a good runner and a good reciever out of the back field. I thought Bullock would be better but his vision and tackle breaking skills were poor and seemed to get worse. Part of Iowa's predictability was due to some of the personnel limitations we have and it would be nice to be able to disguise things better from a standrad formation

See, he's where I disagree with your statement that KF hasn't made many mistakes over 16 years, dean. I think about Paul Chaney Jr... A speedster WR. The staff said Iowa couldn't use Chaney on punt returns because he 'fumbled the ball'.. Well, that bit of false gossip effectively allowed Iowa to continue to let the ball roll on punts (Iowa has never been a team to attempt to fair catch punts) which was KF's preference on punts at the time, anyway. Just like the false gossip by the football staff that CJ 'didn't know the play book'... this season.. which perpetuated KF's need to have a game manager's offense.

Both were major mistakes by the Iowa staff, KF in particular.

You do realize that you prove my point when you list ONE SINGLE example over 16 years. Not only that, but sorry for me French, you used a stupid f*cking example that has no bases in reality. Chaney wasn't a good FB player, that is why he didn't get on the field much.

You do realize that you prove my point when you list ONE SINGLE example over 16 years. Not only that, but sorry for me French, you used a stupid f*cking example that has no bases in reality. Chaney wasn't a good FB player, that is why he didn't get on the field much.

Are you a pirate?

Where are all the posters that said KF was stupid for not moving MW to tailback earlier. MW was the "poster boy" for KF doesn't play the best players. You can't have it both ways!

Latest posts