RB for 2015

Iowa has proven what it needs at rb...power with quickness and vision...think Greene, Russell, young, Hampton. That is what works best in our style.

As is listed above I hope Wadley can hang onto the ball because he shows some very good promise. I was surprised at his power between the tackles in his one shining game.

I would be OK with Canzeri or Daniels being number 1 if they can show the full package. Canzeri needs to show some power to go along with vision and quickness. Plus Canzeri when healthy can plant his foot and cutback.

Daniels has shown the ability to make one cut and I think he has decent power (not a lot of reps to get a good idea). If he is just a little faster than MWeisman that will help Daniels. I think Daniels needs to be ready to take on the straightahead power running and short yardage situations.

Let's not give up on Parker as someone who can run outside zone and maybe cutback ala Russell.

Iowa has proven what it needs at rb...power with quickness and vision...think Greene, Russell, young, Hampton. That is what works best in our style.

As is listed above I hope Wadley can hang onto the ball because he shows some very good promise. I was surprised at his power between the tackles in his one shining game.

I would be OK with Canzeri or Daniels being number 1 if they can show the full package. Canzeri needs to show some power to go along with vision and quickness. Plus Canzeri when healthy can plant his foot and cutback.

Daniels has shown the ability to make one cut and I think he has decent power (not a lot of reps to get a good idea). If he is just a little faster than MWeisman that will help Daniels. I think Daniels needs to be ready to take on the straightahead power running and short yardage situations.

Let's not give up on Parker as someone who can run outside zone and maybe cutback ala Russell.

I haven't given up on any of them...I am a huge Canzeri supporter I just don't think he can stay healthy as the feature back. Parker is smaller than Canzeri was when he got here so I am a little iffy on him as an rb. You compare him to Russell...russell was 200 lbs...Parker is 170 (iirc) huge difference. I like Daniels but he has bad vision and hasn't shown much in terms of cutbacks. He is manly just tried to out run to the outside. I think smith is the true unknown that could do a lot if he is as good as advertised.

MW is a 6th rated fullback out of 78 fullbacks; we get that. MW is a good fullback. But by definition, he isn't a tailback and; therefore, shouldn't have been used as the primary tailback for the past 2 seasons. Don't you agree?

So who beat him out for the position? Who was as consistent as he was?

I haven't given up on any of them...I am a huge Canzeri supporter I just don't think he can stay healthy as the feature back. Parker is smaller than Canzeri was when he got here so I am a little iffy on him as an rb. You compare him to Russell...russell was 200 lbs...Parker is 170 (iirc) huge difference. I like Daniels but he has bad vision and hasn't shown much in terms of cutbacks. He is manly just tried to out run to the outside. I think smith is the true unknown that could do a lot if he is as good as advertised.

Canzeri iss not going to be the guy. His vision is not all that good either, yes he put on weight, but looks slower as well. Not to mention he is constantly hurt. Parker, way too small. He,s about 170 tops, and he isn't going to be able to outrun everyone to the outside. Daniels, to me, is the guy. People say his vision isn't good, but he needs experience. not 1 carry here and there, but he needs to be on the field for a full game so he can get into the flow of the game. His build reminds me a lot of Shonn Greene. Wadley should also get plenty of carries, but isn't going to be able to take the pounding of an every down back.

LeShun Daniels is a better tailback than MW. kfootball should have started grooming LD early last season to become the fulltime tailback by mid-season, last season. I don't know if Markel Smith is better than LD, but Smith wasn't on the team this season to compare. For those who aren't sold on LD yet, that is understandable if you go by stats alone. But look beyond the stats and you'll see a good tb.

Is LD the second coming of Shonn Greene? No. But he reminds me of a Ladell Betts type player and should have 1+ seasons as the starting tb. Having said that, kfootball and staff should approach each recruiting season as an opportunity to upgrade the tb position because it is a position where a freshman can absolutely play, right away. kfootball needs to go out and offer the best running back he can find and tell that player if he comes to Iowa he'll get carries right away. Waiting your turn doesn't sell, at this position.

Wadley can't hang on to the football..he is a fumble waiting to happen every time he carries the ball. I like his quicks could be effective in certain packages not running between tackles however. Wait! We don't run between tackles we call stretch's into the short side hoping the D doesn't know it's coming and our OL can't get there to reach block because the D knows where the ball is going before it's snapped.

Eda, just because kfootball decide to use a fullback as the primary tailback doesn't mean he was the best player. I will tell you that I saw signs last season that LD was good enough to be the primary tailback. You need to move beyond the fact that MW got most of the carries to call that "consistent. I could have gotten all of the carries and been "consistent." I would have been consistently bad, but I would have been consistent. kfootball understands that if a player doesn't play, their performance can't be evaluated by the fans. Just because no one else was the primary tb, doesn't mean there isn't a worthy player on the team. kfootball has made erroneous player personnel decisions and this is just one example.

Wadley can't hang on to the football..he is a fumble waiting to happen every time he carries the ball. I like his quicks could be effective in certain packages not running between tackles however. Wait! We don't run between tackles we call stretch's into the short side hoping the D doesn't know it's coming and our OL can't get there to reach block because the D knows where the ball is going before it's snapped.

As much as I like Wadley's talents, you cannot argue against this point. It is his reality, right now. LeShun Daniels doesn't have this problem and it is a head scratcher that he hasn't been the primary back since mid 2013 season. And before anyone starts talking about pass pro and blitz pickup, we just watched kfootball spend the entire 2014 season using Bullock as the primary 3rd down back. The same game plan could have been utilized with LD. Also, there were many times where MW did whiff on a block that got JR sacked or caused him to have to scramble.

You are clueless. More like who was given the opportunity to beat him out? No one. MW is one of KF's favorites, just like checkdown charlie is. In case you haven't noticed, captain clueless has a habit of not playing the most talented players, instead playing the 'feel good' story that no other team wanted because they lack talent. Now come back with the Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark story, that was 10 friggin years ago, and hasn't happened since. Yeah MW was definitely consistent, consistent at 2 yard runs, or turning would be td's for an actual rb into a 3 yard gain.

I get the knock on wadley about fumbling but so did tiki barber and he was able to fix it. Fumbling is something you can fix. Vision and quicks are not as easy to fix. Just look at mw those were his disadvantages. Daniels has the body and could be good but right now in limited reps by both I actually believe more in wadley. Canzeri is someone I really like and he has skills but I can't overlook the injuries. Parkeris just so small I can't see him as a rb in a conventional run game. Even the speed guys that have done well for Iowa were bigger than him...sims, wegher.

Eda, just because kfootball decide to use a fullback as the primary tailback doesn't mean he was the best player. I will tell you that I saw signs last season that LD was good enough to be the primary tailback. You need to move beyond the fact that MW got most of the carries to call that "consistent. I could have gotten all of the carries and been "consistent." I would have been consistently bad, but I would have been consistent. kfootball understands that if a player doesn't play, their performance can't be evaluated by the fans. Just because no one else was the primary tb, doesn't mean there isn't a worthy player on the team. kfootball has made erroneous player personnel decisions and this is just one example.

KirFer doesn't play other backs so you can't scout them out? Let me ask this... Do you take off the tinfoil hat when you sleep at night?

You are clueless. More like who was given the opportunity to beat him out? No one. MW is one of KF's favorites, just like checkdown charlie is. In case you haven't noticed, captain clueless has a habit of not playing the most talented players, instead playing the 'feel good' story that no other team wanted because they lack talent. Now come back with the Bob Sanders and Dallas Clark story, that was 10 friggin years ago, and hasn't happened since. Yeah MW was definitely consistent, consistent at 2 yard runs, or turning would be td's for an actual rb into a 3 yard gain.

Ah yes... The age old argument that "Kurt don't play the bestest players". Take a look at the roster this year, and you'll find several spots where the incumbent/older player was unseated.

Last edited:
Just because he doesn't always start the wrong player doesn't mean he never does. I don't know why people get so defensive on this subject. It's not just a Kirk thing. Every coach gets it wrong on occasion. That says, I think Kirk is worse than most when it comes to choosing who plays. He just places too much value in the wrong attributes for my liking.

I'm not sold on any of the guys that are currently on the team. When you can't beat out a FB playing tailback I don't think that says a whole lot. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see Daniels, Canzeri, or Wadley being the answer. I hope Higdon is the real deal and can get on the field. I'm also hoping Iowa can land Jordan Howard from UAB. He would be an immediate difference maker.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/112307/uab-running-back-to-visit-indiana

KirFer doesn't play other backs so you can't scout them out? Let me ask this... Do you take off the tinfoil hat when you sleep at night?

You can't refute my statement so you use a straw man argument. Nice. I stand by my statement, my opinions and my beliefs about kfootball.

Ah yes... The age old argument that "Kurt don't play the bestest players". Take a look at the roster this year, and you'll find several spots where the incumbent/older player was unseated.

Please provide a list. I think you're wrong on this. In fact, I can't think of one incumbent starter from last season, who is still on the team or couldn't play due to an injury, was unseated.

Please provide a list. I think you're wrong on this. In fact, I can't think of one incumbent starter from last season, who is still on the team or couldn't play due to an injury, was unseated.

There was only one. Mike Hardy. I've seen that said twice now. I assume by saying incumbent, they mean after someone graduates, the upperclassman becomes the starter by default, then they get unseeded. Not sure why someone would say that though but its the only thing I can think of.

Latest posts