Raymon dismissed?

So it seems like only defensive linemen get homesick once they get to campus? At least at a much higher rate than the rest of the team.

That smells like something in the coaching staff and as others have said the d line coach is not known to be well liked by current and former players. This is an obvious problem that cannot be ignored otherwise Iowa will have a d-line that, well looks like next years line.

it seems his situation is different from the other D-line defectors, but still, this is getting old, fast.

Raymon wasn't likely to play anytime soon. If he couldn't beat out some of the guys we have up there now chances are he was mediocre talent anyway. None the less I hate to see guys leave like that especially when we have an issue up front on the D line anyway!

Yes, Iowa has a problem and it is not easy to overcome. Fans will blame KF for a lack of depth but Raymon is a perfect example of Iowa's problem. Due to a lack of state-wide Div 1 recruits,Iowa has to go out of state,and often out of region to get good recruits. That means kids like Raymon,who are coming from the east coast, often get homesick and just do not adjust well. He is probably a good kid,but the odds are anytime you get kids from out of the region,you are going to have a higher attrition rate. How many Iowa recruits leave? None,almost.

So, how does KF overcome this fundamental problem of geography and demographics?
No answer. Just keep plugging and hope to get lucky.
Most successful programs have to deal with this. Nebraska gets kids from a much wider range than we do, and they don't seem to lose too many.

from what i've heard/seen about Coach K, he is the most intense coach, and probably the most demanding coach. i think that is a good thing. if you can't take it, you probably shouldn't be playing D1 football. i highly doubt Coach K was the reason for Raymon leaving.

Ok, a dude getting homesick???? As soon as I left for college I only came home on holidays when they kicked us out - suck it up, you are man. Homesick is for the girls!!

Most successful programs have to deal with this. Nebraska gets kids from a much wider range than we do, and they don't seem to lose too many.

Do you know that for a fact? Have you tracked their attrition rate for recruits from the east and west coasts for the last decade. I would like to see that data...thanks.

Just wondering why you say this? Seems like he rubs some people the wrong way.

I've met him and been around him several times and always thought he was a nice guy. I know he is well respected by the other coaches. He is intense but that is a trait of a lot of coaches. If someone leaves because a coach is too intense that seems pretty weak

The fact that only the DL position has this problem, leads me to believe only a certain type of kid is able to withstand Coach K's style. If it was all the "homesick" issue, we would see that happening with other positions.

The fact that only the DL position has this problem, leads me to believe only a certain type of kid is able to withstand Coach K's style. If it was all the "homesick" issue, we would see that happening with other positions.

This. And I don't mind that he's intense. At that position group, that's something that can be very good. We just need to do a better job of finding the kids that can take that kind of intensity.

Just wondering why you say this? Seems like he rubs some people the wrong way.
I've met him and been around him several times and always thought he was a nice guy. I know he is well respected by the other coaches. He is intense but that is a trait of a lot of coaches. If someone leaves because a coach is too intense that seems pretty weak

I promise I'm not trying to be a smart ***, but doesn't a boat load of players leaving at his position say something to his coaching personality/style. That or doesn't it say something about his ability to recruit guys who would succeed in playing for him?

Something not very right is going on there and Iowa has been lucky the last few years that they had 4 studs who could take the majority of the snaps at those positions. They covered up the lack of depth but this year and especially next year the talent and depth is at the bottom of the Big Ten levels.

i think it was Thawki who said he had some inside information on this kid. would be interesting to hear his perspective, if he has any.

I think KF should talk to Dan Gable and maybe have Dan talk to Coach K about his style. Somehow we were able to win 15 National Titles with Gable's style of letting the kids practice when they wanted and motivate themselves into being as good as they could be. It seemed to work for Gable. The ice cream truck in the middle of practice was also a nice touch for the wrestlers.

All kidding aside, Gable absolutely loved his guys, and would do anything for them. I saw it first hand. In return, he expected much from them. The old adage, "from whom much is given, much is expected."

It's a little strange, this position sees the most attrition and there has to be something to it. I hope we can find a few JUCO players that have potential as things look very thin next year.

Do you know that for a fact? Have you tracked their attrition rate for recruits from the east and west coasts for the last decade. I would like to see that data...thanks.
Look it up yourself. I live in the Omaha media zone, so I am forced to pay attention to their program. They've had a few guys leave, but not as many as Iowa.

Look it up yourself. I live in the Omaha media zone, so I am forced to pay attention to their program. They've had a few guys leave, but not as many as Iowa.

I would say its about a wash - it seems the Huskers can't hold on to a QB like we can't hold on to a DL (Cody Green, Patrick Witt, Joe Dailey, Harrison Beck, etc.)

Latest posts