Ratio of Iowa fans to ISU fans?

But when they do, you better believe that the grey sweatshirt is in as they walk through that airport. Look at me look at me as everyone laughs at their first time out of the state.

I grew up close to Ames and it was still 60-40 hawkeye country. However, the influx of FIB hawkeye fans and their hate for tavernhoks, I would guess that ISU is gaining ground. I know they are making me change my mind.

I'm not sure really what are the actual numbers... need to distinguish between paying, fair-weather and "true" fans, Iv'e lived in North Carolina for over 30 years and travel often enough, in those years I've encountered fans wearing IA ST colors... 5 or 6 times.

I've encountered and engaged Iowa fans wearing Iowa colors (or myself wearing such) hundreds of times. Certainly the Hawkeye fans travel and live out side the state a bit more.

no. I run into as many ISU fans and Iowa fans here in San Fran.

I was debating this with a Cyclone fan the other day. What do you think the ratio of Iowa fans to ISU fans is in the state of Iowa? I estimated it was 75% Hawks to 25% Cyclones? What do you think?

Well let's look at a map. I-80 and I-35 split the state into 4 semi-equal quadrants, so it's pretty easy to make a guess.

1. Northeast. That 3:1 ratio is probably about right, with the exception of Cedar Rapids and it's heavy engineering presence. In that town, I'd say it's probably more like 3:2.

2. Southeast. Heavy Iowa, probably isn't close.

3. Southwest: Harder to say here; these folks are outside of the "sphere of influence" that surrounds Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, so it's harder to say what they're exposed to in terms of media. Probably see a lot of Husker red blending in once you get west of Highway 71.

4. See previous.

Here in Polk county, it's pretty even. Neither side can make a legit claim that one side has more fans than the other. The only thing we all agree on is that the Registers coverage of both teams sucks.

There used to be a sign along Hiway 30 in Westside, in Crawford County, I believe, that read, "This may be Cyclone country, but it is still a Hawkeye State."

At least that is how I remember the wording. Towards the western end of Iowa, and here in Nebraska, I see a lot more Hawkeye apparel than I ever see Cyclone. Saw a young boy about 12 yo in church one evening in Norfolk, Nebraska handing out bulletins wearing a Hawkeye hoodie. I whispered, "How about them Hawks", and you should have seen the smile on his face as he returned with "Go Hawks!".

My sons tell me about running into Iowa fans in LA, Albuquerque, and Norfolk, VA. We are all over the place.

I've lived in the QCA, IC, and DM

Growing up in the QCA, I never even heard of an ISU fan (literally) until I got into HS and the ag/ffa teacher was a Clown Alum. I'd heard so little about ISU that I thought they were UNI-west or something until I got old enough to figure out that they were actually in a major conference. So, I'll say it was 95-5 (maybe 90-10 nowadays).

Out here in DM I'd say it's 60-40 ish.

Well let's look at a map. I-80 and I-35 split the state into 4 semi-equal quadrants, so it's pretty easy to make a guess.

1. Northeast. That 3:1 ratio is probably about right, with the exception of Cedar Rapids and it's heavy engineering presence. In that town, I'd say it's probably more like 3:2.

2. Southeast. Heavy Iowa, probably isn't close.

3. Southwest: Harder to say here; these folks are outside of the "sphere of influence" that surrounds Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, so it's harder to say what they're exposed to in terms of media. Probably see a lot of Husker red blending in once you get west of Highway 71.

4. See previous.

Here in Polk county, it's pretty even. Neither side can make a legit claim that one side has more fans than the other. The only thing we all agree on is that the Registers coverage of both teams sucks.

That's not even close. Cedar Rapids it probably closer to 5:1, despite Rockwell (my GF works there and says it's still pretty much 50/50). With the proximity to the U of I, there are way more Iowa fans than ISU fans in CR.

That's not even close. Cedar Rapids it probably closer to 5:1, despite Rockwell (my GF works there and says it's still pretty much 50/50). With the proximity to the U of I, there are way more Iowa fans than ISU fans in CR.

It's just a guess. Perhaps my judgement is clouded by ISU's marketing attempts in that area of the state. Billboards, fan functions and whatnot.

probably 60-40ish. ISU has been narrowing the gap in recent years

In the 80s and 90s it was 75/25 Iowa. The last 10 years though I really do believe it changed to 60/40 Iowa. Not in east Iowa obviously, but I travel a lot and Des Moines and other bigger cities north and south are decidedly way more Cyclone-centric than it used to be. West is anyone's guess.

That Waterloo/cr/Iowa city corridor is the iron curtain, Iowa State fans are really rare there.

I've lived in Des Moines for 8 years and I see a lot more cyclone stuff every year.

But when they do, you better believe that the grey sweatshirt is in as they walk through that airport. Look at me look at me as everyone laughs at their first time out of the state.
I have spent time in 10+ countries on 3 different continents. And no I was not in the military. Are you saying you can top that?

It has shifted significantly over the last two or three years. Not sure how you measure? We'll always own Eastern IA!

Latest posts