Ranked?

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

coaches poll is out. Iowa is 38th if you count others recieving votes. so not even close to being in the top 25.

In the bigten, OSU, MSU, NW, and Wisc are in the top 25.

Iowa and Minn also recieved votes, with Iowa getting more votes than Minn.

Going to take victories over North Texas and wisc to get ranked.

This is a joke - Iowa is better than Northwestern by a wide margin. Stanford played like crap in week 1, but they were ranked and so NU snuck into the rankings. Northwestern's QB is a freshman and he just isn't good (he probably will murder us when he is a junior and senior, but he sucks right now). You can beat Stanford and Duke if your D and ST make big plays, but no way they can sneak past Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska without the QB making some decent passes, which he really hasn't done all year. The voters clearly don't watch the games.

It is already a weird season, I watched that Bama/Badger game and thought Bama was the best college team in the country and no one would beat them, then with Ohio St. Two weeks later Bama gets beaten, OSU hangs on, this is going to be a wild ride.

NIU would probably be firmly in the top half of the Big Ten (they would likely contend to win the West). I think OSU just sleep walked through that game. I also don't know how good their QBs are if asked to put the ball in a tight window, but you have to play a really good defensive game to force them to make those tight throws and aside from MSU and possibly Michigan, I don't know that OSU will be tested again until the playoffs.

The fact we are even thinking about this shows some progress has been made. 4-0 in the non-conference would exceed most expectations. Best case I thought was 3-1 and likely that or 2-2. I think we would need to win the next 2 to get cleanly in.

Wisconsin should be favored, but Iowa should have a puncher's chance there. Take care of North Texas first.

Doesn't matter a ton to me right now. Either way you have to beat wisky in two weeks. Ranked and lose to them and you'll have to climb the charts again. Winner moves up. Gotta beat them

Win the next 2, I think we are top 20. Crazy, I know, but if we can beat Wisc at their place we will be miles ahead of where anyone thought we would be (except Hawknick).

Take care of business early next Saturday, rest a few guys, get healthy, and get some 2nd-3rd string meaningful snaps. Gotta be a full strength in 2 weeks.

Playing like a top 25 team right now, but the schedule is a dog. Iowa needs some style points next week to crack the rankings prior to Big Ten play.

I hate to say it but the media members in far off places would likely take note if Iowa's QB was rolling up huge numbers...that would influence ap voters. Not the only thing but it would help Iowa get noticed.

Of course this would not replace winning.

This is silly to even care about yet....if, and when, we start playing full games against good teams and only then should it matter...based on season so far, we are clearly a better team than in recent years, but we have no idea how our defensive middle will fare (poorly so far) or our punt protection against stiffer competition. It is not like we have been on the right side of blowout wins.

Our schedule is very favorable and our division is wide open, but it is too soon to worry about ranking if we don't have a team that can back that rank up.

I do think we will get there though, and in my own justification system, it will mean we at least are a step in the right direction towards again being relevant, entertaining, and competitive.

This is silly to even care about yet....if, and when, we start playing full games against good teams and only then should it matter...based on season so far, we are clearly a better team than in recent years, but we have no idea how our defensive middle will fare (poorly so far) or our punt protection against stiffer competition. It is not like we have been on the right side of blowout wins.

Our schedule is very favorable and our division is wide open, but it is too soon to worry about ranking if we don't have a team that can back that rank up.

I do think we will get there though, and in my own justification system, it will mean we at least are a step in the right direction towards again being relevant, entertaining, and competitive.

This is based on what? The fact that they've given up a grand total of 153 rushing yards this season? I won't argue that they've seen elite competition, but there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that the defensive middle has performed poorly thus far. Maybe their success won't translate going forward, but that's not the same as saying they've performed poorly.

If the hawks play really well saturday and go into madison and get a win they will and should be ranked after beating a ranked wisky team. But there are probably more deserving teams right now.

This is based on what? The fact that they've given up a grand total of 153 rushing yards this season? I won't argue that they've seen elite competition, but there is no evidence whatsoever to suggest that the defensive middle has performed poorly thus far. Maybe their success won't translate going forward, but that's not the same as saying they've performed poorly.

Talking pass coverage over the middle Tork. Rush D and deep coverage db play has been exceptional.

If the hawks play really well saturday and go into madison and get a win they will and should be ranked after beating a ranked wisky team. But there are probably more deserving teams right now.

Yep, gotta get to 5-0 before they'll be ranked IMO. A win over N. Texas won't sway any voters. You would think a win @Wisconsin would get us into the polls.

I'm not too concerned about being ranked at this point, though. If Iowa is truly a good team and takes care of business on the field, the rankings will take care of themselves by season's end.

Talking pass coverage over the middle Tork. Rush D and deep coverage db play has been exceptional.

Ah, got ya. I thought you might be referencing the new DT's. The pass coverage over the middle hasn't been stellar, I'll agree. But in each of the past two weeks, we've faced either a truly elite receiver (Boyd) or a strong receiver corps (ISU). Not many teams left on our schedule can stress a pass defense as much as Boyd or Lazard/Bundrage/Montgomery can. I'd be more concerned about Northwestern, but other than that, I'm not too worried about that aspect of our defense.

Latest posts