Ranked?

Ah, got ya. I thought you might be referencing the new DT's. The pass coverage over the middle hasn't been stellar, I'll agree. But in each of the past two weeks, we've faced either a truly elite receiver (Boyd) or a strong receiver corps (ISU). Not many teams left on our schedule can stress a pass defense as much as Boyd or Lazard/Bundrage/Montgomery can. I'd be more concerned about Northwestern, but other than that, I'm not too worried about that aspect of our defense.

WE all know that zone defense is meant to capitalize on other qb mistakes right? If a qb is on, he will complete passes. If he is off or makes the wrong read we are in position to get a pick. When a fs gets a pick it's an overthrow or under throw deep. Zone defense by definition is bend don't break. Expecting a qb won't be 5-5 on 3rd down conversions is kinda the thinking.

I was thinking about this more today. I believe that this team has played as well if not better than Iowa's 3 previous teams that were ranked at this point in the season.

2010 2-1 was ranked 18 after the Arizona State game. They were more dominant in weeks 1 and 2, but ASU was a let down with the way it ended.

2006 3-0 after 3 though ranked 14 with relatively close wins over Syracuse and the clowns. All though the goal line stand was epic, and Tate was injured.

In 2005 Iowa was ranked #21 after going 2-1. The wins over Ball State and UNI were dominant but the clown game was a mess although Tate was injured for that game also.

The case can easily be made that this team should be as high as those teams after 3 games. I also believe that this team will finish better than any of those teams.

As much as you hate to hear it, we don't deserved to be ranked yet. We beat beat a couple of below average teams and a team who went 6-7 last year and is missing one of the best running backs in the nation. For a school who has been irrelevant on a national scale in the past 5 years we are going to have to earn our way back into the rankings. I think a win next weekend and against Wisconsin will be enough for people to start respecting us again and get us into a ranked spot. This is just the reality of the situation.
With all that being said I think this team definitely can do it and I am very impressed with the play this season thus far. I think Pitt was a very solid team with a pretty good defense, and two huge mistakes by us really left them close in the game. This team plays hard and knows how to stay composed enough to win. If we can clean up those few mistakes each game and can stay healthy, this team can end up with double digit wins by the end of the season.

Iowa beat the runner up to the fcs national championship and 2 power 5 teams. That resume puts them ahead of several teams in the top 25. They would have my vote.

In the world of a National Championship playoff era this thread is useless. Polls do not matter

Latest posts