Rank the players on this year's roster.

lightning1

No particular criteria. Use your own reasoning for the position you put them in. Explain your reasoning if you want to.

1-Cook. Best offensive player and is going to be on a mission (hopefully) to show he can defend and rebound.

2-Wieskamp. Maybe the best all around player. Can score, defend, rebound, and is dedicated. If Cook doesn't improve on defense and rebounding, Wieskamp moves to number one.

3- Garza. His hustle and attitude puts him ahead of Bohannon.

4-Bohannon. Just behind Garza due to defense.

After this it's a big dropoff and splitting hairs. I'm hoping Nunge or McCaffery can slip into this spot. If Moss ends up this high because he improves a ton, that's a good thing to. If Moss ends up the 5th best by default, we're in big trouble. It would also be ok to see Baer have a great year and end up the 5th best. He's got to play great for that to be a good thing tho.

Good thread idea.

Cook
Moss
JBo
Garza
Baer
Joe
Nunge
Dailey
Connor
Kreiner

Went with Moss over JBo partly on potential and overall game.

Went with Baer over Joe cuz he’s a senior and the different ways he can impact the game. I still expect Joe to start.

Went with Nunge as 7 over Dailey again a bit on potential and because of his length and ways he can impact the game.

Kriener is more complete than Pemsl.

That’d be my list.

Went with Moss over JBo partly on potential and overall game.

There is no way you can have watched the last 2 years of Iowa Basketball and rate Moss over JBo. No way.

Cook
JBo (could make an argument to flip the top 2).
Garza (could be a great Hawkeye with better D).
Baer
Dailey (should play a lot more)
Moss (I should have received an offseason NBA evaluation if they let anyone do it)
Kreiner (would be effective if he can stay healthy and get the playing time he deserves)
Nunge
Pemsl

I haven't seen the freshman and Connor enough to rate them yet.

1. Cook (from a pure talent standpoint, possibly the best I’ve seen at Iowa)

2. Garza (high motor, refined offensive game)

3. Weiskamp (by this time next year I suspect he will be 1 on this list ahead of Garza. I saw in the Exhibiton game notes he has a 6-11 wingspan... nice)

4. Bohannon (offensively he is probably the second best PG in the B1G behind Winston, Defensively he’s a liability)

5. Nunge (T-2nd most pure basketball potential along with Weiskamp behind Cook)

6. Baer

7. Moss (he’s a below average 2 guard. Good shooter, but basketball IQ is very low)

8. Dailey (I could see him passing Moss)

Everyone else

1. Cook (from a pure talent standpoint, possibly the best I’ve seen at Iowa)

2. Garza (high motor, refined offensive game)

3. Weiskamp (by this time next year I suspect he will be 1 on this list ahead of Garza. I saw in the Exhibiton game notes he has a 6-11 wingspan... nice)

4. Bohannon (offensively he is probably the second best PG in the B1G behind Winston, Defensively he’s a liability)

5. Nunge (T-2nd most pure basketball potential along with Weiskamp behind Cook)

6. Baer

7. Moss (he’s a below average 2 guard. Good shooter, but basketball IQ is very low)

8. Dailey (I could see him passing Moss)

Everyone else

We are really close. You're one smart dude!

My list is hybrid quality / importance to success
Garza is #1
- If the offense fails to run thru him, Hawks will barely be .500

#2 Tie between healthy JoBo & Cook
- If JoBos foot is all better, his overall value to the team makes a strong case for #1. If he’s hobbled, he’s still #2.
- Cook is a big-time dunker but mostly one-dimensional. Now, that dimension is pretty dynamic so he draws a lot of attention from opposing D. Until he shows a mid-range and he’s capable of playing even average D, he belongs on the 2 or even 3 line.

#4 Moss - only because we’ve seen a little If his potential. However, if JWeis is merely competent in meeting his recruiting billing, he easily jumps Moss, who can be extremely schizo with his shot selection and is atrocious on D

#5 JWeis - hopefully ascends the list.

#6 Nicholas Baer. Will finish career as the #6 M.o.Y. In Big14.

#7 ConMac. Need him to be a solid sub for JoBo. Hoping he slots, here.

#8 Kreiner / Pemsl gotta have competent production on both ends from these 2 spelling Garza. Last year, these 2 were either MIA or complete liabilities when they subbed in.

Everyone else...let’s hope anything they get is minimal and anything they give is gravy. If Fran continues to think he’s got the deepest team in the Big14 and sticks to his scripted platoons, then Hawks struggle to even be on the NIT bubble and it’s another underperforming year.

Latest posts