Rank our 5 current head coaches

I cannot imagine why Fran would not be happy for Bluder's success. A rising tide lifts all boats. If anything, Lisa should be pissed that Fran makes over double her salary, but that is what it is. Both are actually underpaid.

I have seen both McCaffrey boys at the women's games as fans.

Just because Fran is ranked last in this little exercise does not mean anything. He is still a very good coach. Rather it speaks to the quality of coaches Iowa has in its major sports. We are fortunate and should remember that more often.

I agree. What's hurting him is not getting out of the first round of the NCAA, which is fair. But, I like the style of play and culture. But, results have to be a major part of it.

Bluder on top of the world right now and has had nice success going back several years now. Heller has taken the baseball program to new heights and having great success. Brands is Brands and Iowa wrestling is Iowa wrestling. That leaves Ferentz and McCaffery, ironically the most noticeable and viewed, and high-profile sports in college athletics. This probably plays into the expectations and why they end up near the bottom of the list, but, as you point out, doesn't mean they haven't done good things.

I cannot imagine why Fran would not be happy for Bluder's success. A rising tide lifts all boats. If anything, Lisa should be pissed that Fran makes over double her salary, but that is what it is. Both are actually underpaid.

I have seen both McCaffrey boys at the women's games as fans.

Just because Fran is ranked last in this little exercise does not mean anything. He is still a very good coach. Rather it speaks to the quality of coaches Iowa has in its major sports. We are fortunate and should remember that more often.
What? Bluder making half of Fran's salary? Given the disparity between the profitability of men's and women's sports in general, but still. This is Iowa City and all.

Put the following in order of best coach to 5th best coach:

Bluder
Brands
Ferentz
Heller
McCaffery

I've got:

Heller-- Most fans of Iowa sports don’t understand what we’ve got here.

Brands--I’ll admit I know nothing about wrestling so I’m just throwing him in here. His record speaks for itself.

Ferentz--I know he gets bashed a lot, but the dude develops players, surrounds himself with great coaches, and wins.

Bluder--Bad timing to put her this low. More of an overall assessment. Kudos to her for developing players lately and using their abilities to win.

McCaffery--To have him 5th of 5 with how much he wins is saying a lot about our coaches.
After the first quarter…Bluder #1

I guess what is one's definition of a niche sport? That is the confusion. Many see wrestling as a niche sport I think. I mean women's basketball is prob pretty equal as far as interest, merely due to pure numbers, but many more tune in to the women's NCAA tournament than the NCAA wrestling championships.

We are kind of in a bubble in the midwest with wrestling and we get it, but not so much in the south or either coasts. Pennsylvania is another bubble and there are some others, but the vast majority in the US don't really follow wrestling. Does that make it niche?
I think wrestling is a niche sport is among the national media and fans.
During the wrestling NCAA's I went to ESPN web site for info and updates. Information was hard to come by. I could find cricket league scores but no NCAA wrestling.

What? Bluder making half of Fran's salary? Given the disparity between the profitability of men's and women's sports in general, but still. This is Iowa City and all.
Brian Ferentz makes more than Lisa Bluder and Brian makes about 7 times more than Jan Jensen, who is so instrumental in the women's success. I think Jan makes in the $100,000's a year but not up to $200,000.

Doesn't seem right.

Brian Ferentz makes more than Lisa Bluder and Brian makes about 7 times more than Jan Jensen, who is so instrumental in the women's success. I think Jan makes in the $100,000's a year but not up to $200,000.

Doesn't seem right.
The money has to come in to pay it out. The Tiger Woods effect completely changed golf tournament payouts. It's very possible the Caitlin Clark effect will chance woman's basketball coaches salaries.