Rank next year's Big 10 teams

I'm not sure if you are uninformed or trolling...not even sure which is worse. Putting Illinois (lost 5 of their top 8 players) ahead of Iowa (lost no one) is beyond ridiculous.

More like nobody knows for sure. It's 8 months away. If I had posted the exact finish of this year in March last year you probably would have said the same thing. No way Iowa finishes that low, Penn State isn't that good, Ohio State is way worse.....and then the season played out. Getting upset about an exercise in futility is stupid.

Sounds more like Iowa playing this year without their 2nd or 3rd string PGs...Christian and Connor. We may have won 10 conference games with either of them.
I don’t think comparing a team losing their starting PG and arguably 2nd best player compares with losing your backup PG and backup backup PG. What do I know though.

Wisconsin played MSU and Purdue twice. They beat Purdue and were playing much better at the end of the year even though it was slightly under the radar. Beat Maryland in the BTT and had a shot to beat MSU a day later.

I know it’s easy to say they're going to fall off now that Bo is gone which is likely true, but people forget they played the entire season without 2 of their top 7 guys including their PG. That would have been like Iowa playing this year without JBo and Nunge... we might not have won 10 games.

Playing without Trice and King is like playing without JBo? Ummm no. Wisconsin still would’ve sucked with those 2

Playing without Trice and King is like playing without JBo? Ummm no. Wisconsin still would’ve sucked with those 2
I was more making a point that he’s arguably their second best player (as Is JBo) and then they lost another top freshman.

Are you sure they would have sucked? They lost 4 B1G games by 5 or less points. Throw your 2nd best player and only PG into the mix I’d say you win at least a couple of those. That would have put them at 9-9 in the league.

Also what’s your point? Iowa did suck with JBo and we would have sucked even more without him. Wisconsin sucked without two of their top 7, including their main PG. I’m not following your logic here other than a dislike for UW which is fine.

Iowa finishing 5th with what they potentially return isn't a stretch - but extremely optimistic after what was experienced this season. I also believe that Fran's teams swing hard - 1 way or the other. Next season, it could swing the other way and it wouldn't shock me at all. Everyone laughs that having a serviceable back up PG would have helped Iowa this season. Everyone says "Christian Williams sucked" and "Connor is too slow and not a B1G player".... those statements might both be true, but just having the ability to spell our only ball handler or take pressure off of him would have changed things drastically IMO. Would it result in more wins? Yeah a few IMO - not enough to make that big of a difference tho.

Hope this thread re-activates in the fall. My brain is toast, this year got me so unexcited, I need a half year to regenerate the batteries. No offense intended, just burnt out.

ap·a·thy
ˈapəTHē/
noun
  1. lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
    "widespread apathy among students"
    synonyms: indifference, lack of interest, lack of enthusiasm, lack of concern, unconcern, uninterestedness, unresponsiveness, impassivity, dispassion, lethargy, languor, ennui;
    rareacedia
    "widespread apathy among the voters"

Hope this thread re-activates in the fall. My brain is toast, this year got me so unexcited, I need a half year to regenerate the batteries. No offense intended, just burnt out.

ap·a·thy
ˈapəTHē/
noun
  1. lack of interest, enthusiasm, or concern.
    "widespread apathy among students"
    synonyms: indifference, lack of interest, lack of enthusiasm, lack of concern, unconcern, uninterestedness, unresponsiveness, impassivity, dispassion, lethargy, languor, ennui;
    rareacedia
    "widespread apathy among the voters"
Totally understandable. Looking ahead is good therapy for me. Especially when I think a significant uptick is coming.

Would Cook be missed that much? He's a great dunker. He is super athletic but only average rebounder. His handles are average at best. Nunge is not as strong but is taller. He has better handles and rebounds better. He can stoke it from three. I think Cook is a better defender at this time. JMO.

Totally understandable. Looking ahead is good therapy for me. Especially when I think a significant uptick is coming.

I have to believe you are right. There simply has to be some motivation for next year. And even if my short term uptick is my 5 PM Friday night martini, well, it is still progress!

Would Cook be missed that much? He's a great dunker. He is super athletic but only average rebounder. His handles are average at best. Nunge is not as strong but is taller. He has better handles and rebounds better. He can stoke it from three. I think Cook is a better defender at this time. JMO.
I agree he's a great dunker. I actually think he has good handles...one of those guys that pretty much palms the ball every time it touches his hand. I'm hopeful the NBA guys will tell him what he needs to hear...IMO. Become a great rebounder, a rim protector and a better defender.

Yes losing our best player would be a huge blow and he would be missed. Luka benefited a lot from the attention Cook received. Nunge doesn't have better handles either both had nearly identical turnover percentages.

Iowa #1

I don’t care about the other teams, except that I want msu to get the death penalty for their crimes involving abusing young women. So they should not even be on the list. Pedo State should also be removed for abusing boys. I think it would be better to have a 12 team conference instead of 14 anyways.

I don’t think comparing a team losing their starting PG and arguably 2nd best player compares with losing your backup PG and backup backup PG. What do I know though.
We have no idea what Illinois will bring in during the off season. Remember what Nebraska's prospects looked like at this time last season?

I'm not so sure about that. King looked like the real deal the couple of times I saw him. Hard to say, though. Probably wouldn't have finished in the top 5 in the BIG regardless.

Go ahead and list order of finish and records if so inclined. With the unbalanced schedule, etc. I am simply ranking the teams based on how good I think they will be.

Michigan State (reload)
Penn State (with Carr)
Indiana
Maryland
Iowa
Michigan (without Wagner)
Nebraska (with Palmer and Copeland)
Purdue (lose 4 starters)
Ohio State
Wisconsin (without Happ)
Northwestern
Minnesota
Rutgers
Illinois

Wisconsin lost 2 of their top players and most dynamic creators last year to injury. Davison was basically playing injured all year. They return everyone. I would expect a rapid turnaround from them

I believe this year was an outlier...perhaps the lowest collective basketball IQ and worst defensive team relative to talent I have ever seen at Iowa. This isn't all that shocking considering virtually all of the talent on this team are freshmen and sophomores. So my suggestion that Iowa may finish 5th next year is hardly a reach based on 8 years of historical data...and with a junior class loaded with experience.

Good point, but you infer that a year of experience will somehow improve things. Not sure now that's gonna happen. I think players tend to develop physically and learn a system better...but basketball IQ...well, you largely have it or you don't. Same thing with defense. What would suddenly make the light go on for these guys? Fran had a summer tour to mold them last year and it yielded virtually nothing.

IMHO, the outlier is the incoming Freshmen. Can they shake things up enough to help drive those changes? We'll see. We'll also see if Fran is worth his money because if that shift doesn't occur we're looking at another horrible year (or two). I think it all comes back to over recruiting guys stamped out the 6'5"-6'9" wing mold, at the expense of ball handlers. That clearly ain't workin'