Rank next year's Big 10 teams

WindsorHawk

Go ahead and list order of finish and records if so inclined. With the unbalanced schedule, etc. I am simply ranking the teams based on how good I think they will be.

Michigan State (reload)
Penn State (with Carr)
Indiana
Maryland
Iowa
Michigan (without Wagner)
Nebraska (with Palmer and Copeland)
Purdue (lose 4 starters)
Ohio State
Wisconsin (without Happ)
Northwestern
Minnesota
Rutgers
Illinois

1. MSU
2. Indiana
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Maryland
6. Purdue
7. Ohio State
8. Wisconsin
9. Nebraska
10. Northwestern
11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Illinois

I like to do this by tiers due to the uneven scheduling and all the other unknowns.

Tier 1:
PSU
MSU

Tier 2:
Indiana (maybe tier 1 if they sign Langford)
Michigan (Wagner is gone IMO)
Maryland
Nebraska (if both return)
Wisconsin (Happ returns & Healthy Trice)

Tier 3:
Purdue
Ohio State
Iowa (if Cook returns)
Northwestern
Minnesota

Tier 4:
Rutgers
Illinois

I don’t think there is a huge difference between tier 2 and tier 3 for the most part.

Go ahead and list order of finish and records if so inclined. With the unbalanced schedule, etc. I am simply ranking the teams based on how good I think they will be.

Michigan State (reload)
Penn State (with Carr)
Indiana
Maryland
Iowa
Michigan (without Wagner)
Nebraska (with Palmer and Copeland)
Purdue (lose 4 starters)
Ohio State
Wisconsin (without Happ)
Northwestern
Minnesota
Rutgers
Illinois

Dude, Iowa ain't finishing 5th.

1. MSU
2. Indiana
3. Michigan
4. Penn State
5. Maryland
6. Purdue
7. Ohio State
8. Wisconsin
9. Nebraska
10. Northwestern
11. Iowa
12. Rutgers
13. Minnesota
14. Illinois
Purdue, Ohio State and Northwestern are being gutted. The rest are just one person's opinion versus another's.

I like to do this by tiers due to the uneven scheduling and all the other unknowns.

Tier 1:
PSU
MSU

Tier 2:
Indiana (maybe tier 1 if they sign Langford)
Michigan (Wagner is gone IMO)
Maryland
Nebraska (if both return)
Wisconsin (Happ returns & Healthy Trice)

Tier 3:
Purdue
Ohio State
Iowa (if Cook returns)
Northwestern
Minnesota

Tier 4:
Rutgers
Illinois

I don’t think there is a huge difference between tier 2 and tier 3 for the most part.
I think Michigan State is placed alone and then the tiers begin. Michigan has some intangibles going for it this season. I think those go away and they are more of a 2 games over .500 type team next year. Nebraska seems to follow up every surprisingly good year with a surprisingly bad one...considering the personnel returning. So I'm simply going with history. Purdue, Ohio State and Northwestern are losing too much IMO. You may be spot on just giving my thoughts.

Edit - And I suspect Wisconsin will slide a bit more each year as they become more removed from the Ryan era.

I think Michigan State is placed alone and then the tiers begin. Michigan has some intangibles going for it this season. I think those go away and they are more of a 2 games over .500 type team next year. Nebraska seems to follow up every surprisingly good year with a surprisingly bad one...considering the personnel returning. So I'm simply going with history. Purdue, Ohio State and Northwestern are losing too much IMO. You may be spot on just giving my thoughts.

Edit - And I suspect Wisconsin will slide a bit more each year as they become more removed from the Ryan era.
Wisconsin won 7 league games this year without their PG (likely 2nd best player), and without arguably their best freshman (King). Happ will be back because he already stated if he doesn’t grade out as a first rounder he will be back, so they basically return an all american level player. They don’t lose anyone and are still well coached, I think they will at least be that high.

MSU is a completely different animal without Bridges and Jackson. They have a nice core but they aren’t leaps and bounds above anyone.

Other than that I’m not really sure but it’s all kind of a crapshoot at this stage.

Wisconsin won 7 league games this year without their PG (likely 2nd best player), and without arguably their best freshman (King). Happ will be back because he already stated if he doesn’t grade out as a first rounder he will be back, so they basically return an all american level player. They don’t lose anyone and are still well coached, I think they will at least be that high.

MSU is a completely different animal without Bridges and Jackson. They have a nice core but they aren’t leaps and bounds above anyone.

Other than that I’m not really sure but it’s all kind of a crapshoot at this stage.

Did Wisconsin have an easy Big 10 schedule this year? I'm not sure what their two plays were. One thing I know is they went from terrible at the beginning of the year, to just kinda bad by the end of the year. I'm not sure what changed tho. It could be improvement due to good coaching. If that's the case, they will probably be better next year. But it could be just randomly catching some teams on an off night or getting hot at the right time to steal some wins they had no business getting. If that's the reason, they won't necessarily be better next year.

I think the second reason I gave is the reason why Nebraska had a good year a few years ago and why Minnesota had a good year last year. In my opinion, they overachieved and it wasn't sustainable. I'm really hoping that's what happened to Wisconsin at the end of this year.

Michigan State
Indiana
Michigan
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Rutgers

Did Wisconsin have an easy Big 10 schedule this year? I'm not sure what their two plays were. One thing I know is they went from terrible at the beginning of the year, to just kinda bad by the end of the year. I'm not sure what changed tho. It could be improvement due to good coaching. If that's the case, they will probably be better next year. But it could be just randomly catching some teams on an off night or getting hot at the right time to steal some wins they had no business getting. If that's the reason, they won't necessarily be better next year.

I think the second reason I gave is the reason why Nebraska had a good year a few years ago and why Minnesota had a good year last year. In my opinion, they overachieved and it wasn't sustainable. I'm really hoping that's what happened to Wisconsin at the end of this year.
Wisconsin played MSU and Purdue twice. They beat Purdue and were playing much better at the end of the year even though it was slightly under the radar. Beat Maryland in the BTT and had a shot to beat MSU a day later.

I know it’s easy to say they're going to fall off now that Bo is gone which is likely true, but people forget they played the entire season without 2 of their top 7 guys including their PG. That would have been like Iowa playing this year without JBo and Nunge... we might not have won 10 games.

Wisconsin played MSU and Purdue twice. They beat Purdue and were playing much better at the end of the year even though it was slightly under the radar. Beat Maryland in the BTT and had a shot to beat MSU a day later.

I know it’s easy to say they're going to fall off now that Bo is gone which is likely true, but people forget they played the entire season without 2 of their top 7 guys including their PG. That would have been like Iowa playing this year without JBo and Nunge... we might not have won 10 games.
Sounds more like Iowa playing this year without their 2nd or 3rd string PGs...Christian and Connor. We may have won 10 conference games with either of them.

Last edited:
Michigan State
Indiana
Michigan
Maryland
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Rutgers
I'm not sure if you are uninformed or trolling...not even sure which is worse. Putting Illinois (lost 5 of their top 8 players) ahead of Iowa (lost no one) is beyond ridiculous.

I'm not sure if you are uninformed or trolling...not even sure which is worse. Putting Illinois (lost 5 of their top 8 players) ahead of Iowa (lost no one) is beyond ridiculous.

Illinois does bring in a 5 star Point Guard and Underwood is a better coach than Fran. That being said I still think we finish ahead of them next year.

I'm OK with your optimism. We need more of that around here. But I can't tell if you're joking with this last post or not.
I edited my post. Somewhere between thinking and typing I lost what I meant to say. The edited post is a combination of joking and serious. The upside is Dailey will be that much better moving forward. I'm not suggesting he's Devyn Marble. But Marble being forced to play PG helped his overall game in the long run.

Some people like Fran. Some don't like Fran. All I'm going to post here are facts. Below is Fran's Big 10 conference record by year.

4-14
8-10
9-9
9-9
12-6
12-6
10-8
4-14

Based on Fran's 8 year history 9-9 is the average year...actually 8.5-9.5 but I have included his 1st year with an empty cupboard. This year 9-9 tied for 6th. The 3 years prior to this year Fran's average record is a little better than 11-7. So the data supports a record of 9-9 or 10-8 in conference play next year.

I believe this year was an outlier...perhaps the lowest collective basketball IQ and worst defensive team relative to talent I have ever seen at Iowa. This isn't all that shocking considering virtually all of the talent on this team are freshmen and sophomores. So my suggestion that Iowa may finish 5th next year is hardly a reach based on 8 years of historical data...and with a junior class loaded with experience.

I believe this year was an outlier...perhaps the lowest collective basketball IQ and worst defensive team relative to talent I have ever seen at Iowa. This isn't all that shocking considering virtually all of the talent on this team are freshmen and sophomores. So my suggestion that Iowa may finish 5th next year is hardly a reach based on 8 years of historical data...and with a junior class loaded with experience.

No that's a good point. It's just that the talent doesn't suggest 5th in the B1G next year, especially if Cook bails.

Latest posts