R.I.P Hankies

MelroseHawkins

I have a head cold today and blowing my nose every half hour. It made me think about the old days. For any of you who grew up in the 1970's or before knows of God forsaken hankies. These were the most disgusting things and worst concept on the face of the planet. Utterly disgusting when you think about it, but, it was the way of the world and the way it was.

Everybody's dad or gandpa had them all the time and when you had a cold as a child, he'd supply you with a few of them to get thru the cold. You would use the same hankie to blow your nose all day and shove the slimy cloth back in your pocket each time after every blow, in home, school, church, etc.. Oh, and after some time the hankie would dry and harden up from the dried slime. Sometimes they wouldn't even bend anymore. Utterly disgusting. Talk about rough on the nose after a day or two. I don't think anybody still has them or uses them, and rightfully so!! My dad may still use them.

To those of you young enough you never had to experience this, lucky freakin you!

Anyway, carry on.
1637684793226.png

I have a head cold today and blowing my nose every half hour. It made me think about the old days. For any of you who grew up in the 1970's or before knows of God forsaken hankies. These were the most disgusting things and worst concept on the face of the planet. Utterly disgusting when you think about it, but, it was the way of the world and the way it was.

Everybody's dad or gandpa had them all the time and when you had a cold as a child, he'd supply you with a few of them to get thru the cold. You would use the same hankie to blow your nose all day and shove the slimy cloth back in your pocket each time after every blow, in home, school, church, etc.. Oh, and after some time the hankie would dry and harden up from the dried slime. Sometimes they wouldn't even bend anymore. Utterly disgusting. Talk about rough on the nose after a day or two. I don't think anybody still has them or uses them, and rightfully so!! My dad may still use them.

To those of you young enough you never had to experience this, lucky freakin you!

Anyway, carry on.
View attachment 8299
I remember those. Never used one myself but I remember seeing them all the time when I was a kid.

Funny though, as gross as we say they are now, it seemed like people were a whole lot less sick and fickle back then and I'm only 41. I think it's because our immune systems actually had to work back before everything was hand sanitizer this and bleach wipes that.

Anyway, carry on.
View attachment 8299
I am going to call you MelroseHankies from now on.

And Melrose, the whole idea of a hankie is to have several and wash them a lot. I cant help it if you were around people who never washed their hankies.

I think the people who just wipe their snot on their sleeves are shirts are the smart ones. haha
I don't know about you guys, but if I'm outdoors doing something without a bunch of people around, especially in cold weather that makes my nose run, I use the farmer blow with reckless abandon.

If I'm say, fishing, out walking, blowing leaves, doing just general yard work, I ain't stopping to go get a Kleenex. I've been doing it for approaching 40 some years now and I'm elite-level skilled at not getting anything on me or my face.

If someone hits me up on it (doesn't generally happen because I try not to surround myself with soft, easily-offended snowflakes), I tell them I'm being green and helping the environment by not wasting trees.

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm outdoors doing something without a bunch of people around, especially in cold weather that makes my nose run, I use the farmer blow with reckless abandon.

If I'm say, fishing, out walking, blowing leaves, doing just general yard work, I ain't stopping to go get a Kleenex. I've been doing it for approaching 40 some years now and I'm elite-level skilled at not getting anything on me or my face.

If someone hits me up on it (doesn't generally happen because I try not to surround myself with soft, easily-offended snowflakes), I tell them I'm being green and helping the environment by not wasting trees.

Oh yes that farmer blow works, I have used it. And not to be real gross but the Lugie makers and spitters, which I can be, can get it done by just snuffing it up and spitting it out,

Anyway, carry on.
View attachment 8299

This works for me every time

Take it when you feel the first symptoms

The Nighttime might knock you out

It works well

1637703373507.png

I used to have the art mastered of doing the farmers blow while running, then getting out of the way....

I did a double take when I saw the title of this thread. I thought Matt Hankins was only injured. Good thing it was typed accurately.

Yep. The good old snot rocket is the way to go.

I use the farmer blow with reckless abandon.

If I'm say, fishing, out walking, blowing leaves, doing just general yard work
Coaching bases? My wife says I do and I don't even know I do, not that I have a problem with it. As she says, "at least you don't scratch your junk while you're out there."

Also, I'm going to have to admit that, when I'm in the classroom, I do have a hanky in my pocket. I never know the temperature of my room from day to day. When it's cold in there, everyone's noses run and the Kleenexes are gone in no time. With 3 minutes between classes, I don't have time to go to the supply room on the other side of the school to get more and prepare for my next class. It's just easiest to use when I don't want to disrupt the flow of my class. Besides, even as gross as it is, there's no grosser group of people on the planet than HS kids...except MS kids.