R E L A X

koralakers

I’m just as frustrated as anyone here BUT, we are ON-PAR right now, halfway thru season.....

-Three games vs Mich (revenge game), PSU (top 10), and ISU (their Super Bowl—been preparing for game since last year, conveniently scheduled UNI and bye before playing us. TWO of these on ROAD also.
-Lost FOUR absolute STUDS to NFL EARLY...absolute KILLER for a DEVELOPMENTAL program (we are not OSU)

EVERYTHING is still in front of us. After losing all the talent we lost, plus TOUGH schedule, was hoping for 8-4. Would still accept 7-5. We are ON COURSE people.

I get that there are injuries on the OL, have had DBs out, etc. But...after watching how we moved the ball on the TD drive, why do we continue to see success from a hurry-up offense, then promptly abandon it right afterward? Unless I'm very wrong, and we go to "hurry-up" the rest of the season.

I’m just as frustrated as anyone here BUT, we are ON-PAR right now, halfway thru season.....

-Three games vs Mich (revenge game), PSU (top 10), and ISU (their Super Bowl—been preparing for game since last year, conveniently scheduled UNI and bye before playing us. TWO of these on ROAD also.
-Lost FOUR absolute STUDS to NFL EARLY...absolute KILLER for a DEVELOPMENTAL program (we are not OSU)

EVERYTHING is still in front of us. After losing all the talent we lost, plus TOUGH schedule, was hoping for 8-4. Would still accept 7-5. We are ON COURSE people.

Nobody, before the season started, really expected us to win at Michigan and Wisconsin, and most didn't really expect us to beat Penn State at Kinnick. We gave both Michigan and Penn State all they could handle, and lost by one TD to Michigan and 5 points to Penn State. Not really all that shabby. If the O line was up to snuff we could and should have won both contests.....

An 8-4 season if certainly very possible and considering all the talent we lost to the NFL, that should be a satisfactory season.....

Onward and Upward for the Hawks

Of course, we should prepare now for the slaughter at Madison

:cool:

It would probably be easier for people to R E L A X if those "FOUR absolute STUDS" had been part of a team last year that produced more than 8 regular-season W's.

Or if the biggest weakness on the DEVELOPMENTAL team wasn't the 5th year guards.

And, what are we ON COURSE for, exactly? Another 7 or 8 win season where the best win was against unranked ISU?

I’m just saying things LOOKED GREAT for us to win 9-10 games this year, UNTIL those guys left early. If just one TE stayed that wudda been huge.
Tough schedule and injuries also working against us

you are right, we should have been 10-2 last year with 4 early entries to the NFL and a historically easy schedule, now I’m pissed again.

This is a huge factor particularly with the D. The problem is trumped when better programs like Wisconsin and the rest of the West isn't losing many players early. Iowa has lost 6 in the last 2 years which more than the rest of the division combined.

And 4-5 more could leave early this year. Iowa is going to have to figure out an adjustment and that isn't exactly their strength.

This is a huge factor particularly with the D. The problem is trumped when better programs like Wisconsin and the rest of the West isn't losing many players early. Iowa has lost 6 in the last 2 years which more than the rest of the division combined.

And 4-5 more could leave early this year. Iowa is going to have to figure out an adjustment and that isn't exactly their strength.
We are a victim of our own “success” at developing “NFL” talent. Ferentz-coached players are actually in high-demand cuz coaches know these kids will be coachable, have integrity, work ethic, and not primadonnas.

That being said, YES, why do these kids wanna leave this program as Sophs or Juniors instead of staying to help The Program?? They seem to stay full term at every other BIG program but OSU, which has an embarrassment of talent. Do they not like KF or the team or something?

Hardly anyone is leaving early.
Have you watched our team against any resemblance of competition?
We might, MIGHT have a couple of third to fourth rounders at best.
Anyone that can leave early and does is a fool. Only one way to go from here.

arnie.preview.jpg

Relax....ah now 7-5 feels so much better. :D

We are a victim of our own “success” at developing “NFL” talent. Ferentz-coached players are actually in high-demand cuz coaches know these kids will be coachable, have integrity, work ethic, and not primadonnas.

That being said, YES, why do these kids wanna leave this program as Sophs or Juniors instead of staying to help The Program?? They seem to stay full term at every other BIG program but OSU, which has an embarrassment of talent. Do they not like KF or the team or something?

You nailed the bold. That is the strength of this program. No doubt.

I don't believe its a matter of players not liking KF. Probably just want to get their pro careers started.

And being honest, IC is a fun place if you're from a small town or like to drink a lot or want a safe place to start a family but for a single, young 20-something I would imagine a bigger city of an NFL franchise would be more ideal.

It is not that they lost. It is how they lost two very winnable games. And did it with one of the most pathetic offensive displays in Iowa history. It is a bad OC coaching a bad O Line, led by a highly immobile and inaccurate QB. So take your "on par" and shove it.

Hardly anyone is leaving early.
Have you watched our team against any resemblance of competition?
We might, MIGHT have a couple of third to fourth rounders at best.
Anyone that can leave early and does is a fool. Only one way to go from here.

I'm guessing Wirfs, Jackson, Gholston, AJ, & Stone are all leave early.

Hankins, ISM, & Smith will probably do the eval thing and see where they stand. Any JR with pro potential will and you never know what they'll hear. It only takes one outside voice to convince them.

Just because you get thrown around a little doesn't mean they can't play in the NFL. Buluga was abused by Michigan's Brandon Graham and Indiana's DE his JR year. Daniels looked foolish against Purdue his JR year. Hooker was beaten last year a few times. It happens. Other teams have good players too.

It’s annoying how we seem to only get 1 maybe 1.5 good years out of the guys that leave early (instead of 3). I really hope these kids don’t get “graded” high by NFL, and come back and blow up as Seniors, especially Stone and Wirfs.

Our young student athletes do not settle for 7-5. We have this team on par for a Big Ten championship. We just have to clean some things up.

On course for what? Another year of a pathetic schedule and beating no one again but being rewarded a b10 negotiated bowl over a similarly overrated sec team where both teams will be talked up as being better than they really are. On has to win and will go 8-5. Rinse and repeat

I'm guessing Wirfs, Jackson, Gholston, AJ, & Stone are all leave early.

Hankins, ISM, & Smith will probably do the eval thing and see where they stand. Any JR with pro potential will and you never know what they'll hear. It only takes one outside voice to convince them.

Just because you get thrown around a little doesn't mean they can't play in the NFL. Buluga was abused by Michigan's Brandon Graham and Indiana's DE his JR year. Daniels looked foolish against Purdue his JR year. Hooker was beaten last year a few times. It happens. Other teams have good players too.
Ok, so they have had some bad games. This year and last.
The difference between Buluga, Hooker, Daniels and them is they all had many, not just a few good games.

It really does make you wonder. One more disadvantage for us. It doesn't seem to have greatly improved recruiting, and we have to replace our best players a year earlier than our divisional rivals.