Quit Blaming the Defense

SirJamaLot

There has been a ton of criticism directed toward the Hawkeyes 4th qtr. defensive collapses this season but in reality the defense has played well enough in each game to give us a win. they held osu to 3 half time points. I think Coach Ferentz has to look at his offensive approach and decide whether or not you can win championships playing smashmouth football in 2010 and beyond. Alabama (Saban) is also very physical and run oriented but you look at Oregon, Auburn, Boise State, Tcu, ect. and the Hawkeye coaches may have to tweak the system.

I love the physical run-oriented style Ferentz has brought here but have we recruited enough talent to win championships? I think Coker is going to be special but we may need to recruit a faster version of Arob, I think we need to recruit faster wide receivers, I love DJK and Mcnutt, but we may need to find a legit burner, not all possesion type receiving,

interested in in seeing what everyone else thinks, keep the current offensive philosophy, tweek it, or go to an Oregon style?

let us know experts

Current offensive scheme is not good and we need new ideas!!! For sure!!! The defense has not played well in 4th when it matters most this season that is a fact not up for debate.

The issue is not the scheme, it is the ultra conservative, play not to lose with the lead starting in the 2nd Half. KF is incapable of keeping his foot on the gas until the game is out of reach.

We need to get a defense that is in better shape. Our defense is consistently looking winded at the end of games this year. Is this due to practicing against an offense that is one of the slowest paced teams in the nation? I don't know, but watching other games I don't see other teams' defenses looking this tired every game.

We need to get a defense that is in better shape. Our defense is consistently looking winded at the end of games this year. Is this due to practicing against an offense that is one of the slowest paced teams in the nation? I don't know, but watching other games I don't see other teams' defenses looking this tired every game.

To me it is due to the fact the offense can't seem to get a first down to run some clock in the 4th quarter when it is needed most.

To me it is due to the fact the offense can't seem to get a first down to run some clock in the 4th quarter when it is needed most.

I couldn't find the official stats for the Arizona game, but here's how the other games shook out.

4th quarter offensive stats vs.

Wisconsin: TOP 7:19; 3rd and 4th down conversions 5/7
Indiana: TOP 5:05; 3rd and 4th down conversions 0/2
Northwestern: TOP 5:56; 3rd and 4th down conversions 3/8
Ohio State: TOP 4:19; 3rd and 4th down conversions 0/4

There is definitely a trend here of not being able to pick up a first down when it's needed. Against NW we were actually 1/5 on 3rd down, but 2/3 on 4th down.

The offense has been absolutely putrid in the 4th quarter. Just reprehensible. Zero killer instinct, little poise, generally pathetic playcalling and execution.

Still, the defense has to make a stop when the opportunity arises. You get a team in 3rd or 4th and long, you have to get off the field or it's your fault.

a guy at the wedding i was at this weekend said norm should be fired i about came across the table with my bud light bottle swinging

It's called a TEAM LOSS.

That means that it's on the ENTIRE TEAM. The lion's share is on the players and issues of execution. However, the coaches have certainly contributed to the pot too.

Anyhow, I wouldn't say that there is ANY requirement for changes in scheme.

The bottom line is that ANY losses HURT ... and close losses tend to sting fans all the more because we also tend to play the "what if" card all the more.

a guy at the wedding i was at this weekend said norm should be fired i about came across the table with my bud light bottle swinging

That would have absolutely been a justified response. If Norm were with the team all year long, who knows how things would have turned out.

This. Seriously people, our offense has been horrid and as a result the D is out on the field WAY too much and as a result they're gassed and wind up giving up the late score.

Look at the stats. The D has played well despite all the injuries.

There is a reason Iowa's losses look the same...(heck, go back and look at the 05 Cap 1 bowl )

With the clock rules as they are now, offensive possessions are precious. They are especially precious when you play the type of defense iowa plays. (Iowa's scheme forces teams to go on long drives. By the end of the game, Iowa's D is gassed as ANY d would be gassed. )

Iowa's scheme fails when the offense cannot sustain drives. This exacerbates the problem above. ( My biggest complaint is the low percentage long ball when moving the chains is imperative to rest the D.) Punting is not the worst thing but it certainly isn't the best thing....

Last edited:
What i really would like to discuss is whether or not Coach Ferentz is going to look at changing our offensive philosophy. I think we have the best coaching staff in the country but every staff evaluates and makes changes in order to stay successful. I know Pete Carrol ran the same sytem at usc but had a ton of pro football players at his disposal, I know ferentz's teams will always be physical but I really feel the offense never quite came together this yr.

Jon would love to hear what you think about the offense and whether you think the Hawks will make some changes

What i really would like to discuss is whether or not Coach Ferentz is going to look at changing our offensive philosophy. I think we have the best coaching staff in the country but every staff evaluates and makes changes in order to stay successful. I know Pete Carrol ran the same sytem at usc but had a ton of pro football players at his disposal, I know ferentz's teams will always be physical but I really feel the offense never quite came together this yr.

Jon would love to hear what you think about the offense and whether you think the Hawks will make some changes

I think this offense would have looked a whole lot different with a healthy Hampton. Robinson did a great job, but there were many times throughout the year where I think a fresh RB would have turned that 5-6 yard gain into a 20 yard gain or more but Robinson just didn't have the energy left in him. I wish the staff would have trusted Coker more earlier on, and we could have had a two RB attack even after Hampton got hurt.

I think this offense would have looked a whole lot different with a healthy Hampton. Robinson did a great job, but there were many times throughout the year where I think a fresh RB would have turned that 5-6 yard gain into a 20 yard gain or more but Robinson just didn't have the energy left in him. I wish the staff would have trusted Coker more earlier on, and we could have had a two RB attack even after Hampton got hurt.

Agreed.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the system. Look at the Northwestern game...there were receivers running free everywhere, Rick just wasn't seeing/hitting them.

There has been a ton of criticism directed toward the Hawkeyes 4th qtr. defensive collapses this season but in reality the defense has played well enough in each game to give us a win. they held osu to 3 half time points. I think Coach Ferentz has to look at his offensive approach and decide whether or not you can win championships playing smashmouth football in 2010 and beyond. Alabama (Saban) is also very physical and run oriented but you look at Oregon, Auburn, Boise State, Tcu, ect. and the Hawkeye coaches may have to tweak the system.

I love the physical run-oriented style Ferentz has brought here but have we recruited enough talent to win championships? I think Coker is going to be special but we may need to recruit a faster version of Arob, I think we need to recruit faster wide receivers, I love DJK and Mcnutt, but we may need to find a legit burner, not all possesion type receiving,

interested in in seeing what everyone else thinks, keep the current offensive philosophy, tweek it, or go to an Oregon style?

let us know experts

It's not a zero sum game. Blaming the defense doesn't mean the offense gets off the hook, but because the offense was ineffective when it mattered, it doesn't give the defense an excuse either, to say nothing about special teams or shortcomings in coaching decisions. There were failures to go around this year. Offense didn't score (or at least keep the ball) in crucial situations, and the defense didn't stop the other team in the 4th quarter, when it is at it's most glaring time. Citing to how the defense stacks up statistically begs the cliche - statistics are for losers. Well, Iowa lost 4 games this year. All games they could have won, but didn't. No part of the team is exempt from criticism.

This team is built and coached to exist on very slim margins for error. They must stay sharp mentally at all times, execute plays without penalties, and when the time comes, have the right person in the right place at the right time. Maybe it's too much to ask of college kids to do week in and week out.

The entire TEAM has been bad in the 4th quarter. The defense hasn't been able to make crucial stops, but the offense hasn't done enough to keep the ball/score more points.

Maybe when the offense can execute a 2 minute drill, I'll stop blaming them.

Agree to disagree. The 2-minute drills have all followed long, late drives that the defense gave up. Blame it on whatever you want, but the bottom line is that great teams make plays when it counts, and this defense has not. Simple really. Iowa's defense is very good, and the stats back that up, but they are far from great. Greatness comes from making plays in crunchtime and giving up 70-80 yrd TD drives 5 times late in the 4th quarter to lose the game means that the defense deserves the criticism they get.

Last edited:

Latest posts