Quiet portal

I am excited that we have someone new making decisions about which QBs to recruit, and someone who knows how to train QBs. Say what you will about Greg Davis, but he brought in and coached up some pretty legit QB talent. We need to quit putting such a heavy emphasis on stature and arm strength, and think a little more about accuracy, timing, and play-making. We always pick the Petras over the Zack Wilson. And when it looks like we might have picked a Wilson, he turned out to just be a Padilla.

Petras has earned the starting job at Utah State. Their returning starter entered the portal when Petras made the move there, he is currently the #4 QB available. So, best case scenario in the portal is someone not quite as good as Spencer Petras. But who knows, Petras is probably way better than any of us appreciate, having operated within that turd sandwich of an offense. I hope he tears it up at USU and gets an NFL shot.

Sullivan would arguably be an upgrade to Hill. The Booty kid...come on...

What are you basing that on? He's never even played D1 football before. He played for a JUCO team that Iowa Western would hang 50 on.

Exactly what's gotten nebraska where they're at.
What's Hill done? I'm not saying either of these Qbs are gonna be John Elway but what I do know is Hill is not a D1 qb. He shouldn't have a scholarship to be a part of a D1 program he's just not deserving of one.

If a kid has two healthy legs and 1 healthy throwing arm that's got multiple D1 programs offering them opportunities then I'd take them over Hill. It's just that simple. Both of these guys have enough size and aren't statues to the extent that I'll take what's behind door #3 with either of them over Hill. I couldn't be happier he left.

Had Hill stayed shit woulda been toxic especially if he had to play. I've heard it suggested that this spring they had him take all the 1st team reps against the 1st team D while Lainez took most all the 2nd and 3rd team reps giving him more total reps against the easier defenses to get him confidence and so coaches could have a better idea of what they have in him. My assumption is Hill was told Lainez passed him after spring ball so Hill decided to leave. But who knows it doesn't matter the why now Hills gone and we are where we are. With a need for another QB. Preferably one capable of playing if/when Cade goes down again.

What are you basing that on? He's never even played D1 football before. He played for a JUCO team that Iowa Western would hang 50 on.

Exactly what's gotten nebraska where they're at.
So again, your position is to go into the 2024 season with three total scholarship QBs???? You have spent days on this Board saying you don't think CM will make it past the first couple games. So, you are going to bank the entire season on a QB you have seen play for the same amount of time it took his soon to be back-up to put on his prom tux this past weekend? That's your position? Really?

Look, what I know about Booty is that he comes from a family of QBs. Does that make him awesome? No. But its not nothing. I also know that he received an offer from Oklahoma and spent a year developing in a legit program. Does that mean he is awesome? No, but its not nothing. Finally, while his JUCO may have been a joke, he has at least put up considerable offensive numbers against college athletes, which is more than either of Iowa's current back-ups can say. I don't know if he is awesome or not, and he probably isn't. But, he is better than the wildcat RB that will come into the season as the 4th String QB under the FRY PLAN. Wowza.

Any QB is better than no QB right now. As for Nebraska, they have sucked in everyway. No arguments from me. But, outside of Purdue, name me any BigTen West program that hasn't played musical crappy QBs for the last decade. That is no excuse to be wildly negligent in understaffing the most important room in the facility.

Well the weekend visit for Sullivan came and went and there's been no commitment from him to Iowa... Read into that what you will. Did Iowa offer him? Did Sullivan not want to come after all? Did Iowa tell him they gotta let process play out and talk to other Qbs first? I have a tough time thinking Sullivan would get a much better opportunity at another BIG school no less.

I could be way off but my guess is Iowa wants to try and get Booty to visit too and see what they think of each other before deciding.

Both of those guys have to look at this one way and that's to see how confident they are in beating out Lainez. If they are confident they can beat him out then I would think both would trip over themselves for the chance to come here. But if not then being 3rd string this yr and 2nd next yr isn't exactly all that envious of a situation to be in either.

In fairness, can we all agree that Hill hasn't really played D1 football before either? I mean, he was in the games but wasn't really playing D1 football.

Well the weekend visit for Sullivan came and went and there's been no commitment from him to Iowa... Read into that what you will. Did Iowa offer him? Did Sullivan not want to come after all? Did Iowa tell him they gotta let process play out and talk to other Qbs first? I have a tough time thinking Sullivan would get a much better opportunity at another BIG school no less.

I could be way off but my guess is Iowa wants to try and get Booty to visit too and see what they think of each other before deciding.

Both of those guys have to look at this one way and that's to see how confident they are in beating out Lainez. If they are confident they can beat him out then I would think both would trip over themselves for the chance to come here. But if not then being 3rd string this yr and 2nd next yr isn't exactly all that envious of a situation to be in either.
Sullivan is coming in today for his visit, leaving tomorrow. Where are you getting your info?

Sullivan is coming in today for his visit, leaving tomorrow. Where are you getting your info?
So yes now it's being reported that Sullivan is 'officially' visiting again today. He 'unofficially' did over the weekend too. I saw that from Corey Brada on Friday or Saturday he'd been saying that. So the difference being the school foots the bill for his 3 hour commute and they feed him this time I suppose. I'm not sure what all else that means. But I think that means he's got an offer from Iowa and there's a good chance he commits today. I can't see why he'd come visit twice in 3 or 4 days otherwise. Unless Iowa wants to wait on accepting it to entertain others. We'll know this week for sure who it'll be I would think

So yes now it's being reported that Sullivan is 'officially' visiting again today. He 'unofficially' did over the weekend too. I saw that from Corey Brada on Friday or Saturday he'd been saying that. So the difference being the school foots the bill for his 3 hour commute and they feed him this time I suppose. I'm not sure what all else that means. But I think that means he's got an offer from Iowa and there's a good chance he commits today. I can't see why he'd come visit twice in 3 or 4 days otherwise. Unless Iowa wants to wait on accepting it to entertain others. We'll know this week for sure who it'll be I would think
Reality is that he probably stayed for a long weekend and they carved out some of it as official.

I think Sullivan is a tough sales pitch for Iowa. He is the starter where he is at, so if he leaves, it will have to be for a better opportunity or money I guess. Perhaps Iowa sells an open competition in the Fall? Perhaps the CM's recovery is behind schedule? I just don't see Sullivan coming in as a predetermined back-up, even with a starter with appreciable injury history. That said, he is here. Hope Lester and KF can get him signed.

I think Sullivan is a tough sales pitch for Iowa. He is the starter where he is at, so if he leaves, it will have to be for a better opportunity or money I guess. Perhaps Iowa sells an open competition in the Fall? Perhaps the CM's recovery is behind schedule? I just don't see Sullivan coming in as a predetermined back-up, even with a starter with appreciable injury history. That said, he is here. Hope Lester and KF can get him signed.
I hope he comes on board. I would be much more comfortable with 3 QB’s all of whom may see action. Resar can learn and show what he has, red shirt, and then compete. I have no strong opinion on Sullivan’s potential, but he has played in the BT. Lainez should show his mettle, stick around, which I think he will. I still hope CM is for real this season.

They must have a good enough pitch that he's coming back for another visit.

Was he going to be the starter at NW or are they moving to someone else? They brought in that QB from Cincy I believe. Some Ben guy. Regardless where he would go, he'd prob have to win the starting job over an incumbent, at least in most situations. He may want to stay in the BIG. He is originally from Michigan. If I was Iowa, I would make it clear that he has a chance to win the starting job. I think that is fair, and as we all know, Cade has had some serious lower extremity injuries. Those kinds of injuries unfortunately seem to reappear.

Iowa is actually an intriguing football program if one thinks about it. They miraculously compete at a high level for having zilch for an offense previous years and compete for BIG titles at the end. Now they bring in an new OC with a more promising style. This could be intriguing to a transfer QB. I mean a chance to win 10 games and play for a title. If a guy wants to stay in the BIG, it's not the worst of places to go to be on a competitive team. In addition, what if he comes in and performs really well? He's going to stick out and be noticed as the guy who resurrected Iowa's offense. That ain't all bad either.

Sign Mr. Sullivan. Sign!

Last edited:
Was he going to be the starter at NW or are they moving to someone else. Regardless where he would go, he'd prob have to win the starting job over an incumbent, at least in most situations. He may want to stay in the BIG. If I was Iowa, I would make it clear that he has a chance to win the starting job. I think that is fair, and as we all know, Cade has had some serious lower extremity injuries. Those kinds of injuries unfortunately seem to reappear.

Iowa is actually an intriguing football program if one thinks about it. They miraculously compete at a high level for having zilch for an offense previous years and compete for BIG titles at the end. Now they bring in an new OC with a more promising style. This could be intriguing to a transfer QB. I mean a chance to win 10 games and play for a title. If a guy wants to stay in the BIG, it's not the worst of places to go to be on a competitive team. In addition, what if he comes in and performs really well? He's going to stick out and be noticed as the guy who resurrected Iowa's offense. That ain't all bad either.

Sign Mr. Sullivan. Sign!
Agree, also Iowa has a potential All-American TE, a 5-star WR who was coming on last season, and.. Okay

Agree, also Iowa has a potential All-American TE, a 5-star WR who was coming on last season, and.. Okay
...and some decent RB's. They have playmakers. They just didn't have a good scheme and had an offense that has been scouted for the past 24 yrs. That truly is a key that should not be overlooked. Teams readily admitted they knew what Iowa was going do. I mean in 24 yrs of running the same offense, they had to show tendencies with certain formations and motions. Most teams prob could get down to 3 plays they'd have to defend by what they saw.

Was he going to be the starter at NW or are they moving to someone else? They brought in that QB from Cincy I believe. Some Ben guy. Regardless where he would go, he'd prob have to win the starting job over an incumbent, at least in most situations. He may want to stay in the BIG. He is originally from Michigan. If I was Iowa, I would make it clear that he has a chance to win the starting job. I think that is fair, and as we all know, Cade has had some serious lower extremity injuries. Those kinds of injuries unfortunately seem to reappear.

Sign Mr. Sullivan. Sign!
Fair points. He is not good enough to walk into any major program and be handed the starting job. Competing with a guy who has barely played in two years due to injury, a totally unproven back-up and a true freshman is about as good a situation as he will find at this level.

I suspect KF tells him something to the effect of the depth chart will be CM at 1, and your and Lainez as co-2s and you will have your chance to prove that you should be the starter. Whether that is true or not is another story. Given KF's history, if CM is healthy, he will play up and until a 2x4 hits him upside the head with a note attached to it to switch QBs.

Fair points. He is not good enough to walk into any major program and be handed the starting job. Competing with a guy who has barely played in two years due to injury, a totally unproven back-up and a true freshman is about as good a situation as he will find at this level.

I suspect KF tells him something to the effect of the depth chart will be CM at 1, and your and Lainez as co-2s and you will have your chance to prove that you should be the starter. Whether that is true or not is another story. Given KF's history, if CM is healthy, he will play up and until a 2x4 hits him upside the head with a note attached to it to switch QBs.

Yes, well put.

IIRC, Sullivan has two years of eligibility remaining. At worst, he can complete with Cade this year. And might have to play even if he doesn't win the job. Then, he has a real shot of winning the job his final year. And that still leaves two years for Lainez.

Latest posts