Quick Take: How Many B1G Wins for Iowa Hoops in 2014?

What will Iowa's Big Ten record be in Hoops?

• 12 or more wins

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 11-7

Votes: 38 45.2%
  • 10-8

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • 9-9

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • 8 or fewer wins

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters
at Indiana- L
at Penn State -W
home v Purdue -W
home v Nebraska -W

Michigan - L
@Michigan-L
Michigan State- L
@Michigan State -W
Ohio State -W
@Ohio State -L
Illinois- W
@Illinois- L
Northwestern -W
@Northwestern -W
Wisconsin -W
@Wisconsin -W
Minnesota -W
@Minnesota -L

Write this down.

Iowa will go 11-2 in non-conference again and finish at 22-9, losing on Sat in the B1G tournament, finishing at 23-10 with a ranking in the 20-30 range, and a top 15 RPI. We're back baby.

Last edited:
Double losses to Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State.
Single losses to Indiana, Penn State.
Wins and losses with Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.
Wins over Purdue and Nebraska.

To get more than 6 or more wins will take a victory at Penn State (possible); a sweep of Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, or Minnesota without getting swept (possible); and/or upsets over Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Indiana (unlikely).

I would say there is virtually no chance that UM, OSU sweep Iowa. Almost none. 1-3 possible, 2-2 likely.

Indiana and Illinios basically lose their entire team and will not be anywhere near as good and Minnesota isn't going to be good at all.

And calling a loss to NW is the worst prediction Ive seen in some time.

You are significantly overrating Iowas opponents, 9-10 wins is a very safe bet.

I went 10-8. But that is also against a more difficult B10 schedule than we saw this past season. That, along with a much improved non-con should treat us well in the RPI this year.. Hawks will be dancing this year.

To get more than 6 or more wins will take a victory at Penn State (possible); a sweep of Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, or Minnesota without getting swept (possible); and/or upsets over Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Indiana (unlikely).

Would like to know what you are smoking, cause you are clearly clueless if you think this is going to happen.

I would say there is virtually no chance that UM, OSU sweep Iowa. Almost none. 1-3 possible, 2-2 likely.

Indiana and Illinios basically lose their entire team and will not be anywhere near as good and Minnesota isn't going to be good at all.

And calling a loss to NW is the worst prediction Ive seen in some time.

You are significantly overrating Iowas opponents, 9-10 wins is a very safe bet.

Vegas will disagree with you on the Michigan and Ohio State games. Can anybody win? Sure. Would I bet my last $1000 on it? No way.

2-2 is the fan in you speaking. I hope for your family's sake that you don't bet like this.

Vegas will disagree with you on the Michigan and Ohio State games. Can anybody win? Sure. Would I bet my last $1000 on it? No way.

2-2 is the fan in you speaking. I hope for your family's sake that you don't bet like this.

The 2-2 prediction is a realistic one. Your prediction simply shows that you don't watch Iowa basketball...or simply don't understand basketball in general. Iowa lost 2 close games at home this year with a key player injured in each game. Next year's Ohio State and Michigan teams won't be as good as this year's Michigan State and Indiana teams.

You make yourself look even worse with the Vegas reference. You obviously didn't bother to check your facts before you posted. Iowa was excellent against the spread this year. If you are betting your last $1,000 on anything your lack of basketball knowledge is the least of your problems.

I won't be surprised if Iowa is favored at home against both Michigan and Ohio State. There goes your pointless Vegas comment. Finally, I think Iowa has a better chance of winning at Ohio State and/or Michigan than they do of winning in Carver.

The 2-2 prediction is a realistic one. Your prediction simply shows that you don't watch Iowa basketball...or simply don't understand basketball in general. Iowa lost 2 close games at home this year with a key player injured in each game. Next year's Ohio State and Michigan teams won't be as good as this year's Michigan State and Indiana teams.

You make yourself look even worse with the Vegas reference. You obviously didn't bother to check your facts before you posted. Iowa was excellent against the spread this year. If you are betting your last $1,000 on anything your lack of basketball knowledge is the least of your problems.

I won't be surprised if Iowa is favored at home against both Michigan and Ohio State. There goes your pointless Vegas comment. Finally, I think Iowa has a better chance of winning at Ohio State and/or Michigan than they do of winning in Carver.

Are you saying that you think Iowa has a better chance winning on the road than at home? Or that Iowa has a better chance of winning on the road than Michigan and Ohio State have of winning at Carver? The former is crazy, but you seem to be on a rant, so maybe that is what you mean. The latter is at least conceivable, though I doubt it.

At this point in the year, I think you still have to expect Michigan and Ohio State to come to Carver as favorites. Well, maybe not you, but even most people on this forum are looking at those games as winnable, not the sure things that you claim.

Are you saying that you think Iowa has a better chance winning on the road than at home? Or that Iowa has a better chance of winning on the road than Michigan and Ohio State have of winning at Carver? The former is crazy, but you seem to be on a rant, so maybe that is what you mean. The latter is at least conceivable, though I doubt it.

At this point in the year, I think you still have to expect Michigan and Ohio State to come to Carver as favorites. Well, maybe not you, but even most people on this forum are looking at those games as winnable, not the sure things that you claim.

Iowa was only an underdog at home twice last year, to No. 1 Indiana and against MSU without Marble, even missing Marble they were only a +1.5 favorite. It's very reasonable to think that Iowa will be favored at every game at Carver this season.

You say Iowa will only win 6 games in a weaker B1G next year and then call someone else crazy?

Since you seem to speak for "most" people, show me anyone else anywhere that picks Iowa as 10th in the B1G, which is what a 6-12 record would probably get them.

You say Iowa will only win 6 games in a weaker B1G next year and then call someone else crazy?

Since you seem to speak for "most" people, show me anyone else anywhere that picks Iowa as 10th in the B1G, which is what a 6-12 record would probably get them.

Actually, I identified what I think the 6 most likely wins are and where I think the additional wins will need to come from.

I'll admit, when I voted, I figured 10-8. But thinking about it, I believe it will be better than that. Michigan State is the odds on favorite to be the B1G Champ. And to be honest, I have to agree. Having said that, consider these two items:
  1. In game one of two, RoyDev was injured/slumping. Iowa still led with just over a minute to go in the game.
  2. In game two, the Hawks had a comfortible 10 point lead with just over 9 minutes to play when the muggings started and the officials looked the other way when Iowa had the ball and called touch fouls when MSU had the ball. (Except when MSU had the ball.)
  3. The total margin of defeat: 6 points.

Given that, and the fact that we lose only one player, Iowa has a good chance of splitting with MSU. Ergo, if they can split with MSU, the best team in the conference, they can split with Michigan and tOSU.

SOOOOOOOOOOO .. .. if I could change my vote, I would. I now believe that 12+ wins in the B1G is very doable.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

PS - Yes .. I know Iowa loses Pat Ingram as well.

Actually, I identified what I think the 6 most likely wins are and where I think the additional wins will need to come from.

Well I can identify 18 games that the wins will need to come from, but that is not what you posted.

We've won more than 6 conference games each of the past two seasons, and this year's team will be better than the past two seasons. A road victory at Penn State is only "possible"? I'd say it's very likely. I definitely feel like we can beat Michigan at Carver, especially with them losing Burke and Hardaway. I'm confident we'll win somewhere from 9-11 in conference, but I voted for 11 because I'm a bit of a homer.

^ Yes.

People need to set their expectations reasonably. We can be a *damn* good team and "only" win 10 games.

and i also agree with this. we will be improved, but the schedule will be too. we'll find out early thanks to the non-con schedule what we're made of. let's hope that pays off come conference time.

Turd

We've won more than 6 conference games each of the past two seasons, and this year's team will be better than the past two seasons. A road victory at Penn State is only "possible"? I'd say it's very likely. I definitely feel like we can beat Michigan at Carver, especially with them losing Burke and Hardaway. I'm confident we'll win somewhere from 9-11 in conference, but I voted for 11 because I'm a bit of a homer.

You're exactly right, but why do you single out the Penn St game? What about an "upset" win over Indiana as unlikely? What about "a sweep of Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, or Minnesota" as only possible? It's not out of the question to sweep all of them.

You post foolish things and I point out the foolishness. That's all...no rant. Oh sorry! You're slow on the uptake so this part is to answer your question. I believe Iowa has a better chance of winning at Ohio State than Ohio State has of winning at Iowa. The same is true of Michigan.

One more thing...I know you're a troll. I just had to give you a little rope to hang yourself. No worries...I'm done with you.

They better beat MSU once next year. They let them off the hook twice last season.

If the NCAA is serious about enforcing the rules, and take away MSU & Wisconsin's defense of hand checking, body bumping and arm defense. We beat MSU everytime last season.... We will win regardless of the rule changes....er...enforcement .

Latest posts