Quick Question

longtimer

KF spends a lot of time on the sideline taking notes. I assume he is writing something about plays as they happen? What does he do with these notes? Use them as the game continues or looks at them later? Obviously he spends a lot of time looking at game film. I guess I don't see other head coaches spend that kind of time writing notes and have always wonder why he does. Not critical just curious

KF spends a lot of time on the sideline taking notes. I assume he is writing something about plays as they happen? What does he do with these notes? Use them as the game continues or looks at them later? Obviously he spends a lot of time looking at game film. I guess I don't see other head coaches spend that kind of time writing notes and have always wonder why he does. Not critical just curious
Writing down screw ups.

Anytime there’s something stupid going on like a fumble or bonehead penalty they show him writing it down.

Last edited:
I've always thought that it was things to address such as how the other team is attacking our blocking scheme, linebacker depth, RB angle, or plenty of other things. The reason I don't think that is it is, why not just talk over the headset and relay those things to the position coaches? Maybe it's something to address a certain player with outside of x's and o's. I agree with what Fry said, I think it's addressing screw-ups. I've noticed other head coaches writing down things as well, so it's not a novel idea. I've seen Campbell writing a lot too. Of course, he may just be doing it because his dad does it.

The reason I don't think that is it is, why not just talk over the headset and relay those things to the position coaches?
The guy's definitely old school. He probably picked up the taking notes thing from a former coach or carried it over from when he was an OL coach. O-lineman don't really have stats, per se, so evaluation kind of has to be done by taking notes, etc.

The varsity coach I played baseball for in HS was kinda that same way. Super old school. He coached first base instead of third, and I do the same thing. Not for any real reason, I just like it better and I get more contact with runners at first. I like being able to calm guys down after a hit and get in their head as far as what they need to be thinking about and watching for, especially if it's some sophomore or freshman playing his first year of varsity and he's amped up to the max. I always liked having my HC at first when I played, and now I actually see why.

But...it's always been the tradition in HS that head coaches coach third because you're sending and holding guys to/from home (I trust my JV coach 100% so it works well).

It was something I got used to as a player and just kept on doing as I got older.

He is noting the time of the screwup so he can review it later on film.

My guess is Kirk has written down a thought about what to say to whoever at the next practice on what went wrong or how we can not make that mistake again. Usually he is taking that note after a penalty or some kind of mistake. I don't recall much note taking after a successful play.

Writing down screw ups.

Anytime there’s something stupid going on like a fumble or bonehead penalty they show him writing it down.
This is what I have seen and always understood. Stuff to address later.

Hell, I think Kelly-Martin may have his own pad at this point.

If he truly is writing down yards lost or who's at fault on a 5,10 or 15 yd penalty than he must have a court stenographer doing the same for all BF's plays that result in the same minus yardage!

Could be writing a grocery list: gum, gallon milk, offensive lineman, get AARP membership finished.........call Barta to get raise and salary extention, oh and pick up a pair of pants for Brian as Whisky stole them.

Latest posts