Questionable Call

I’m still confused because the ball bounced. I’ve seen multiple games where an obvious fair catch call was advanced once the ball bounce.

The other part I’m confused about is I’ve never seen a fair catch wave reviewed.

The line on this game moved 2 points in 12 hours to kickoff. Just sayin’….

The word on the twitter from people who know what they are talking about is that this is the correct call by the letter of the law, but that it is NEVER actually called.

When something is "invalid" it means it doesn't work. Why would they call a signal invalid if it works the exact same as a valid signal?

So to recap, a valid fair catch signal is when you wave your hand above your head and the play is dead. An invalid fair catch signal is when you wave your hand below your head and then the play is dead.

Wouldn't it be slightly less complicated to just say it is its a fair catch if you simply wave your hand?

I’m still confused because the ball bounced. I’ve seen multiple games where an obvious fair catch call was advanced once the ball bounce.

The other part I’m confused about is I’ve never seen a fair catch wave reviewed.

The line on this game moved 2 points in 12 hours to kickoff. Just sayin’….
This is my question as well. If a fair catch is waived and the ball hits the ground the fair catch signal is... Wait for it... No longer valid. Why is an invalid signal still on after the ball hits the ground? Answer: they were making crap up

Edit to say I'm wrong:

NCAA Rule 2, Section 8, Article 1. c.

c. A valid or invalid fair catch signal deprives the receiving team of the opportunity to advance the ball. The ball is declared dead at the spot of the catch or recovery. If the catch preceeds the signal, the ball is dead when the signal is first given.

Last edited:
Also am I crazy or do people signal to get away from the ball and then return it after a wild hop all the time?
I think they do. Not sure if it's an obscure rule that never gets called or why we never see it. I read that this was called in a Tennessee game too (not sure if it was today). I'm really not upset with the call. If it was 24-20 and it was a well-played game, it might be something I'd be pissed about. This is something that's way down on my list of things to be pissed about.

The thing that makes me more upset/disappointed is that Coop won't get credit for another return in a crucial game. Very Timmy D-esque.

Iowa ran 56 offensive plays.
By my exactingly scientific calculation....
43 of them were questionable.
Those are the ones we should be discussing.

It wasn’t called. That wasn’t what happened and not what was called
Same result. Should have been called on the field & Goldy should have been called for trying to tackle a dead ball. Didn't happen on the field, TD should have stood.

every year Iowa is called for a penalty that you'll never see called again but you see every week in college football. Ex: Wadley celebrating before the end zone. Defense trying to get the offense to jump offsides. This one costs us the game.

The word on the twitter from people who know what they are talking about is that this is the correct call by the letter of the law, but that it is NEVER actually called.
Precisely! Young douchebag review official trying to earn stripes. Anybody able to dox the cocksucker? Dead man!

I think they do. Not sure if it's an obscure rule that never gets called or why we never see it. I read that this was called in a Tennessee game too (not sure if it was today). I'm really not upset with the call. If it was 24-20 and it was a well-played game, it might be something I'd be pissed about. This is something that's way down on my list of things to be pissed about.

The thing that makes me more upset/disappointed is that Coop won't get credit for another return in a crucial game. Very Timmy D-esque.
That's the main reason it bothers me too. It took one of his greatest highlights off his highlight real.

What’s really sad is if he doesn’t score it likely doesn’t get reviewed and we win.
Not sure how you can say that. We had first down at the 46 and needed just twenty yards to be in range for a field goal. We didn’t get it done. Our offense seldom gets it done. Defense and special teams has rescued us many times.

As far as I am concerned it was a beautiful play that won the game, once again by special teams. The refs did t blow their whistle’s to stop the play. Since when is a play reversed except for an out of bounds call. I have never seen a live play reversed. Bogus call and if you saw Kirk’s post game he called the booth refs out and said screw it, fine me, and donate the money to children’s hospital.

Still the problem is the offense WE ALL KNOW IT. I think there is a feeling that as long as we kept winning this 25 point average with Brian doesn’t matter. The loss squashes that thinking and re-directs all attention at a pathetic offense and the written contract that most following Iowa know about.

I still think a 10-2 record and a West title could still save Brian’s even if he falls short of the requirement. One more loss and he is toast.

Kirk is smart and has to know this. Brian in my opinion is now walking an extremely thin line and I am guessing his Dad knows it. As a father of three I can relate to this type of concern. Think about it, most of all college football followers probably know what’s going on at Iowa. Do you think it’s not going to greatly and adversely affect Brian’s chances of ever getting a head coaching position in any power five program if Iowa lets him go? If it was your son how would you feel?

Kirk was right in his post game comments. You can’t quit because if you do then you are done. He said you have to keep moving forward. Can you imagine the thought process in all of this. The players love their coach and respect him. They aren’t blind and can see the same thing we all see. How long can this go on and at the very least serious questions not creep up in the minds of the players. Seriously, chants at home calling for the firing of Brian just a few games ago.

Yet we won a couple in a row and minds were beginning to hope. A screwed up officials call from some damn review team changed that momentum. Still 10-2 and a West title isn’t bad and may calm some nerves. Move on, and win the rest and do the best you can in the title game.

The bigger issue at hand!
Iowa had the ball damn near midfield with 2 min to get into field goal position to win the game. Heck, if Hill is that bad he can’t manage 20 yards, maybe they should have put Cooper in the Wildcat.

Latest posts