Questionable Call

Does anyone know the rule they were going by? A search indicates the hand has to be waved above the head. He was clearly motioning to indicate to players to clear away from the ball. This must be considered a type of fair catch signal. Doesn’t make sense unless there is a specific rule against it.

There was no get away signal, BS
Yeah there was. Cooper clear as day was making a “get away” motion to his blocker. However if that is a rule it’s a stupid rule because typically that’s being done by a punt returner when it’s a short punt and if the ball takes a crazy bounce for the punting team I don’t understand why the returner should not be able to pick the ball up on the bounce and advance it. Just a bad rule

Last edited:
Not for nothing but Iowa should have never been in a position to need a PR for a TD to win. The offense is a disgrace and the coaches are even worse. How can any head coach not try something new the way the offense played today.
Damn near ever 1st play was a run to the middle. Which resulted in nothing. Hill was embarrassingly terrible and yet no QB change.
No excuse and goes to show Kirk doesn’t care about winning or the fans. He would rather keep in his old stubborn ways but still collect that big ass pay check

Don't the refs actually have to make a call that it was a fair catch on the field to actually reverse it? Beyond confusing. If trying to get your guys away from a short punt isn't able to be advanced, then a really stupid rule. Only takes 1 ref to make the call, none did

First of all, I agree with everyone that it is a stupid rule. Any waving above the head is a valid fair catch signal. Any waving of any kind below the head is an invalid fair catch signal. A lot of people I have read different places are mistaking the word "invalid" for "illegal". What I don't understand (because I don't know the rules in depth) is what the difference is. If one makes an invalid fair catch signal, the ball is dead where it is possessed. How is that different from a valid fair catch signal?

What Cooper could have done is stop at the 1 and take a knee. I'm guessing that, because it wouldn't have been a scoring play, it wouldn't have been reviewed. The clock would run before 1st down, after 1st, 2nd, and 3rd downs. They had 2 time outs left so we could call time out with 3 seconds left on 4th down, kick a 20 yard FG and win the game. It's stupid, but so were a lot of things about this game.

First of all, I agree with everyone that it is a stupid rule. Any waving above the head is a valid fair catch signal. Any waving of any kind below the head is an invalid fair catch signal. A lot of people I have read different places are mistaking the word "invalid" for "illegal". What I don't understand (because I don't know the rules in depth) is what the difference is. If one makes an invalid fair catch signal, the ball is dead where it is possessed. How is that different from a valid fair catch signal?
Thats what I was thinking. If an invalid fair catch has the exact same outcome as a fair catch, then there is no such thing as an invalid fair catch signal. It's just a different way to signal a fair catch.

Also am I crazy or do people signal to get away from the ball and then return it after a wild hop all the time?

Thats what I was thinking. If an invalid fair catch has the exact same outcome as a fair catch, then there is no such thing as an invalid fair catch signal. It's just a different way to signal a fair catch.

Also am I crazy or do people signal to get away from the ball and then return it after a wild hop all the time?

I am sure some Hawk fan will put together an extensive video real of people doing just that.

Latest posts