Question regarding NCAA Violations

DP5555

As an avid Hawkeye fan I'm proud of the fact Ferentz runs his program the way that he does. Now I realize that sometimes things happen that you would never expect to happen, but I'm pretty confident in saying that Iowa's football program does everything the right way. I'd be shocked if anything ever came out that proved Ferentz knowingly paid a kid or knew about a booster or member of the coaching staff paying a kid. The only thing you could argue Ferentz has been guilty of is possibly working the kids too hard (Rhabdo case) to try to get them better.

Now, with that said, how much does it bother you all when crap like this Laremy Tansil situation occur? Personally, I'm well aware that other programs are cheating. That much is obvious. Cheating is rampant in the SEC. Ohio State has been busted. I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan State is doing the same thing. It's going on all over the college football landscape and I'm having a difficult time trying to make sense of it all. I love college football. Like to a point that it's probably not healthy. I typically try not to focus on the fact other programs are cheating because it ruins the way I see the game, but when these things come to light it's really difficult not to think about it.

How in the hell is Iowa supposed to compete for a B10 Championship or National Championship when major college football programs are cheating? The reality is there isn't a whole lot stopping them from cheating either. What's the worst that can happen? They get caught and they still remember these special seasons that they put together. I'd be surprised if getting caught stops them from continuing to do it. Especially in the South. The SEC programs have money runners and all sorts of scumbags doing their dirty work for them. It's impossible to put an end to it. Tunsil gets paid millions to play for the Dolphins. Pete Carroll conveniently bolted from USC as soon as the hammer was about to drop.

Basically, the more I think about it the more frustrated I get. The Hawks, and many other programs I'm sure, are doing things the right way. The reality is the right way isn't good enough for them to consistently compete with top tier programs who are cheating. It's hard to keep it out of sight out of mind anymore, and it's ruining the game for me. Iowa has enough challenges that they face on a level playing field. When you add the fact other programs are paying players they just can't compete with that and it isn't fair.

Maybe Iowa cheats as well but just does it better???

I see what you are saying. It is frustrating, but, Iowa did play in the BIG championship game last year. I hate losing high caliber players to the cheating programs, though, but they go where the money is. Maybe that explains why the majority of Iowa's recruits are 3* or lower 4*. Maybe that is the cut-off line for the illegal payouts.

And just as I read this Yahoo and CBS Sports is reporting that Nick Saban's longtime defensive line coach is resigning maybe due to recruiting violations. Surprised? Not me? Oh by the way the Tuscaloosa newspaper reports that this Dee Line coach has a salary of $475,000 per year which I think is more than the Iowa Off and Def Coordinators I think, wow

There is lot to the OP and there is a lot to the Laremy Tunsil situation. Imo, there is no such thing as a 100% clean D-1 program. Even at Iowa there are probably things you would cringe at. Too much money at stake, too many bylaws to follow that no matter who you are something is going to get compromised. You have to decide what you will look the other way at and what is a deal breaker.

Now I am deciding if we are at the point where we would be better off just blowing this up and starting over.

Last edited:
Maybe Iowa cheats as well but just does it better???

I see what you are saying. It is frustrating, but, Iowa did play in the BIG championship game last year. I hate losing high caliber players to the cheating programs, though, but they go where the money is. Maybe that explains why the majority of Iowa's recruits are 3* or lower 4*. Maybe that is the cut-off line for the illegal payouts.

They did play in the B10 Championship game last year. Which makes it all the more impressive to me. I think Ferentz and his staff's development skills are incredible. For them to get the kids they get and develop them to the point they are competing as well as they are is pretty remarkable.

Maybe I'm just naive. Maybe I'm too biased. I don't know. It's very hard for me to imagine Ferentz or his staff intentionally doing anything illegal to get a kid to come play ball at Iowa or to help him out financially while he's here. It's sad to say, but if proof came out that they were cheating then I wouldn't be so ticked off every time another one of these SEC scandals hits the airwaves.

They did play in the B10 Championship game last year. Which makes it all the more impressive to me. I think Ferentz and his staff's development skills are incredible. For them to get the kids they get and develop them to the point they are competing as well as they are is pretty remarkable.

Maybe I'm just naive. Maybe I'm too biased. I don't know. It's very hard for me to imagine Ferentz or his staff intentionally doing anything illegal to get a kid to come play ball at Iowa or to help him out financially while he's here. It's sad to say, but if proof came out that they were cheating then I wouldn't be so ticked off every time another one of these SEC scandals hits the airwaves.

Ferentz can afford(literally and figuratively) not to take risk on certain guys. Ferentz has the utmost job security in D-1 football and do not get it twisted he has earned it.....I am just saying there is no reason to get his hands dirty.

I live like 3 hours from Ole Miss... It's terrible. Freese tries to promote himself as if he's the Tim Tebow of coaches but his hands are as dirty as they get and have been since he's been there... The culture around their aluni/boosters is pretty SMU like from the rumblings locally. Has anyone checked Treadwells pockets? If that tackle was getting paid how do you think they got a stud WR from Chicago to go down there to that dump? I'm sure he just 'clicked' with whomever was his main recruiter at their first ($100)handshake. Ole Miss has the pressures of trying to compete in that tough conference and when your looked at as the bottom of that league they see only one way to climb up....

I couldn't be prouder of how KF has done things. Has he been perfect? No he is human. (Rhabado and his kid living in public housing come to mind that I had beefs with) Head coaches at that level do so much delegating that their most important job I'd say is hiring staff. Top to bottom not just coaches but everyone around the program. HCs just have so much on their plate they can't babysit all the players. And how on earth with their limited time are they expected to shoot 100% on recruits? It's tough enough evaluating the talent aspect but then try figuring in the kids character it's just not as easy as it seems. Doyle is top notch. The people that work with the kids daily not just during the seasons. Look at how often you see players go to the childrens hospital across the street. They do it a lot more often then when you see the pictures taken or it being reported on. I know as I've been there and seen it. The staff strongly encourages the players to do that and it helps them be as well rounded as can be not just on the football field or class rooms...

I live in $EC country (Florida). The article on Saban's assistant doesn't even "blip" in local news. They expect that stuff here.

And people wonder how we lost Pierschbacher? As if we couldn't figure that one out...

I'm not surprise at all about the latest two stories related to two SEC colleges. The old phrase "if you ain't a cheatin you're not a tryin" pretty well sums up the SEC. I think it is why Oklahoma and Texas are reluctant to be members of the SEC. Would you sell your soul to the devil for a trophy knowing that it was earned in a corrupt manner? Obviously there is a lack of consciousness when it comes to SEC football.

In response to the OP comment above, I think one is naive to think Iowa is squeaky clean. Also, the Rhabado thing isn't just about working kids too hard. It was pretty serious. It's serious enough when it happens to one player. It doesn't/shouldn't have happened in a vacuum.

I remember twelve years ago I heard a guy tell me he saw a couple big stud Hawkeye football players walk past the line outside a popular bar and just walk right in. It was like the bouncers recognized them or something. While this might sound minor it actually breaks several NCAA regulations about preferential treatment and accepting gifts from supporters and amateur status.

Cheat your ever loving arse off and never, ever, ever self report a single violation. When the NCAA comes calling because some other program turned you in, lawyer up and threaten, fight and stall until your dying breath!
If you want to have a winning program, that is. If you don't mind mediocrity, by all means, obey the NCAA bi-laws.

Last edited:
I remember twelve years ago I heard a guy tell me he saw a couple big stud Hawkeye football players walk past the line outside a popular bar and just walk right in. It was like the bouncers recognized them or something. While this might sound minor it actually breaks several NCAA regulations about preferential treatment and accepting gifts from supporters and amateur status.

Having been to most every bar in downtown IC, that's not much of a bonus.

As an avid Hawkeye fan I'm proud of the fact Ferentz runs his program the way that he does. Now I realize that sometimes things happen that you would never expect to happen, but I'm pretty confident in saying that Iowa's football program does everything the right way. I'd be shocked if anything ever came out that proved Ferentz knowingly paid a kid or knew about a booster or member of the coaching staff paying a kid. The only thing you could argue Ferentz has been guilty of is possibly working the kids too hard (Rhabdo case) to try to get them better.

Now, with that said, how much does it bother you all when crap like this Laremy Tansil situation occur? Personally, I'm well aware that other programs are cheating. That much is obvious. Cheating is rampant in the SEC. Ohio State has been busted. I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan State is doing the same thing. It's going on all over the college football landscape and I'm having a difficult time trying to make sense of it all. I love college football. Like to a point that it's probably not healthy. I typically try not to focus on the fact other programs are cheating because it ruins the way I see the game, but when these things come to light it's really difficult not to think about it.

How in the hell is Iowa supposed to compete for a B10 Championship or National Championship when major college football programs are cheating? The reality is there isn't a whole lot stopping them from cheating either. What's the worst that can happen? They get caught and they still remember these special seasons that they put together. I'd be surprised if getting caught stops them from continuing to do it. Especially in the South. The SEC programs have money runners and all sorts of scumbags doing their dirty work for them. It's impossible to put an end to it. Tunsil gets paid millions to play for the Dolphins. Pete Carroll conveniently bolted from USC as soon as the hammer was about to drop.

Basically, the more I think about it the more frustrated I get. The Hawks, and many other programs I'm sure, are doing things the right way. The reality is the right way isn't good enough for them to consistently compete with top tier programs who are cheating. It's hard to keep it out of sight out of mind anymore, and it's ruining the game for me. Iowa has enough challenges that they face on a level playing field. When you add the fact other programs are paying players they just can't compete with that and it isn't fair.

While I feel your pain, this type of stuff has been going on for a long time. It's part of the landscape - it doesn't make it any less frustrating, but it is the reality of college football. And, there's no real push to excise it, either, not on any serious basis. My unsolicited advice - Enjoy seasons like last year, and don't worry about the rest of the bastards.

Last edited:

Do you not remember how many of our players were in trouble with the law just a few years ago? We are not as prim and proper as we would all like to think

Latest posts