Question on Beathard's injury

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but if it has to haven't seen it: I swear I've read statements from CJ and even maybe some coaches' comments that his injury will continue to slowly get better. My question is, how is that? i always thought that the only way for repair was rest and therapy.

Dont get me wrong, if they say he can play and he insists on playing, I trust their decision. I just don't see how playing him isn't gonna make it worse. Help me out

Ferentz has said that Beathard won't be one-hundred percent until January. Because of the injuries, the Hawks will not call any roll outs, bootlegs & play action passes the rest of the season. CJ is basically a statue because of the injuries. This issue has been in the newspapers & discussed on this board for weeks. Where have you been?

Mississippi, to answer your question.

im not asking WHAT the injury is, or whether he will play, etc. what I'm asking is HOW does an injury like that continue to heal while somebody keeps playing. Again, I want to be clear that in not questioning the decision. I've just been wondering and haven't seen this specifically discussed

I haven't heard / read anyone saying it will slowly get better. All I've read is, as C-Bus said, Beathard will not be healthy for the rest of the season.

Maybe the 'slowly get better' was about someone else, or, if about CJ, within the context of taking time off to rest / heal, which isn't happening.

Misississippi.or Mississippi!! :)
Well, not too sure anyone but CJ knows the full extent of his owies.

Why play then? It is because two qb's played the last two years. CJ is one of them. The other qb is residing in Michigan currently. Consequently, CJ is experienced, but has started only a handful of games ( like 9 or so ). However, no one else on our current squad has started at qb and some have entered the game only to hand the ball off.

So, guess who plays. ?! He IS a trooper!

I haven't heard / read anyone saying it will slowly get better. All I've read is, as C-Bus said, Beathard will not be healthy for the rest of the season.

Maybe the 'slowly get better' was about someone else, or, if about CJ, within the context of taking time off to rest / heal, which isn't happening.

Pretty sure he has a sports hernia...complicated injury, one that just takes time to improve. Obviously playing each week will slow the healing. Having close to a month off will be pretty big in December.

I wonder if the injury isn't what was originally rumored... I'm now thinking it is. Captain Kirk MD really keeps a tight lid on injuries. If you remember, scherff had surgery during the isu week and we only found out about the surgery after it was leaked. This year, Tevaun has a "sprain" only to find out he had surgery after the fact. Sunshine playing with sports hernia reported as "groin" wouldn't surprise me. Oooohhhhhh MHA talked about an injury! Woooppppiddddeeeedoo talking about a sports injury on a sports message board.

Mississippi, to answer your question.

im not asking WHAT the injury is, or whether he will play, etc. what I'm asking is HOW does an injury like that continue to heal while somebody keeps playing. Again, I want to be clear that in not questioning the decision. I've just been wondering and haven't seen this specifically discussed

It's not a given, but the plan is likely in 5-10% heal during the week, maybe 3-8% setback during the game = slow improvement.

The challenge becomes the fact he gets very limited work in real time/speed drills. Which limits a ton of things. Plus, we have to hope he doesnt get worse.

PT and rehab have come a very long way and that shortens recovery.

All I hope is that he shows more and more mobility each week, and doesn't get a setback.

Oline, RBs, and playcalling need to be on point going forward. Unfortunately, we likely are going to have to go to timing and shorter routes mostly. AND, CJ has to throw it away a few more times.

I heard from someone on the team that CJB had surgery for a sports hernia going into the NW game. It would make sense that it was reported as a groin injury because a lot of the time a sports hernia and a groin strain have overlapping symptoms. Could've initially thought it was just a groin strain and then when they found the sports hernia they decided to just roll with the groin injury to make it seem less of a problem.

I heard from someone on the team that CJB had surgery for a sports hernia going into the NW game. It would make sense that it was reported as a groin injury because a lot of the time a sports hernia and a groin strain have overlapping symptoms. Could've initially thought it was just a groin strain and then when they found the sports hernia they decided to just roll with the groin injury to make it seem less of a problem.

If this is true, which I have no idea if it is or not, then I would find it pretty incredible. Like to the point of being shocked at CJ's ability to handle that kind of pain. Check out this power point presentation on sports hernias that was done by a U of I Athletic Trainer who was studying an Iowa CB who was found to have a sports hernia after more than a year of pain: http://www.hawkeyehealthcare.com/SMConference/2008-9/Leusch-Return to Play from Sports Hernia.ppt

Specifically look at his recovery from surgery. That would be pretty insane for CJ to start playing a live game of football again just a few short days after surgery. It took the CB 16 weeks to go back to football related activities. Hell he didn't even get on a treadmill until 12 days later. My guess would be that he's trying to play with the hernia and receiving treatment and therapy during the week. If we find out later that he indeed had surgery... well then he's got a huge pair of balls.

*For what it's worth though... I do remember Kirk making a comment after the Northwestern game that went something along the lines of "If you knew what I knew heading into that game then you'd understand why the outcome was such a surprise". Kirk has also gone out of his way to mention CJ's toughness dozens of times. Who knows. I guess anything is possible.

Last edited:
If this is true, which I have no idea if it is or not, then I would find it pretty incredible. Like to the point of being shocked at CJ's ability to handle that kind of pain. Check out this power point presentation on sports hernias that was done by a U of I Athletic Trainer who was studying an Iowa CB who was found to have a sports hernia after more than a year of pain: http://www.hawkeyehealthcare.com/SMConference/2008-9/Leusch-Return to Play from Sports Hernia.ppt

Specifically look at his recovery from surgery. That would be pretty insane for CJ to start playing a live game of football again just a few short days after surgery. It took the CB 16 weeks to go back to football related activities. Hell he didn't even get on a treadmill until 12 days later. My guess would be that he's trying to play with the hernia and receiving treatment and therapy during the week. If we find out later that he indeed had surgery... well then he's got a huge pair of balls.

*For what it's worth though... I do remember Kirk making a comment after the Northwestern game that went something along the lines of "If you knew what I knew heading into that game then you'd understand why the outcome was such a surprise". Kirk has also gone out of his way to mention CJ's toughness dozens of times. Who knows. I guess anything is possible.
Agree. I've had several surgeries and I can't imagine anyone having that kind of operation and then playing football a few days later. I realize that everyone is different and recovery rates vary and blah blah but its pretty safe to say that rumor is false

Even if CJB could not play for a game or possibly two, in my non-expert opinion, the Hawks are in better shape at backup (Tyler Wiegers) than they've been in several years.

My Dad played sports, had a sports hernia as a RB. He said it was by far the most painful experience he's had. he could barely lift his leg for the first few days after the injury, but that it healed really quickly (a month or so) for how painful it was initially.

Whatever the injury, CJB is tough. Ferentz doesn't hand out accolades about toughness unless it's deserved. I'm guessing it is a hernia.

Even if CJB could not play for a game or possibly two, in my non-expert opinion, the Hawks are in better shape at backup (Tyler Wiegers) than they've been in several years.

Hope so. If nothing else, Wiegers is in better shape simply because the run game has been a major part of Iowa's success this year. That makes any QB's job easier. Especially a backup.

I'm guessing CJ is doing everything he can to play through the sports hernia and delay surgery until after the season if necessary. His comments about it getting better during the week and then regressing after a game make that theory seem plausible. Treatment and therapy throughout the week would make it improve. Obviously a game is going to make it regress. Young man is tough as nails.

It's very hard for me to believe any surgeon would operate on that part of the body and then give him the go ahead to try and play a few days later. There's just too much risk involved there. I work with Orthopedic Surgeons. The liability would be huge. The muscles and incision would still be healing. The incision could get broke open. An infection could occur. There's very little chance in my mind that CJ had surgery.

Agree. I've had several surgeries and I can't imagine anyone having that kind of operation and then playing football a few days later. I realize that everyone is different and recovery rates vary and blah blah but its pretty safe to say that rumor is false

I agree with that but...Brandon Scherff says hi. still don't know how he went under the knife and played Saturday against Iowa State.

Hmmm...Beathard has been the backup.

I'm talking before Rudock and CJB were at Iowa. Think back.

Just saying watching Wiegers in the limited time he's seen action, he appears to be a capable QB. Don't believe we've always been able to say that as fans.

Latest posts