Question for the Lick Haters - Who do you get?

BSpringsteen

How good of a job is Iowa BBall right now?

You have zero facilities... sure they are being built, but right now you got bupkis.

You have no fan support...

You have very little talent...

So who is the magical basketball coach that leaves whatever school they are at to go coach at a school that has been to won 1 NCAA tourney game in the last decade with no fan support, no facilities and no talent?

Maybe we ought to be hoping Lick is able to turn it around.

Relying on history and tradition built by Mr. Davis is like Notre Dame calling themselves a powerhouse in football for the same reason.

All of these things that you have mentioned, while somewhat valid, is very passe. If you shell out the scrilla you can get pretty much any coach you want from a mid major conference or a top assistant from anywhere...also, a coach with bigger aspirations could see Iowa as a quality stepping stone job...

Last edited:
You know what? I'm sick and tired of people who may not like a coach being labled as "haters". This just needs to stop. Believe it or not, wanting a coaching change in our BB program because Lick is not getting the job done does not mean that person "hates" him.

And for the record, I support Coach Lick and believe he needs another year or two.

You are either a hater or an apologist.

Unless it is in regards to Kirk Ferentz. Then you are either a lover or a moron.

The hater / apoligist label is way over used. Believe it or not there are a bunch of us who support this coach and hope he gets this turned around fully believing it will be best for the program if he does but are ready to go another direction if that does not show signs of happening in the next (fill in your own personal time frame).

To answer the OP, there are coaches out there but getting a name coach at this point would be a enormou$ task.

Last edited:

Unless it is in regards to Kirk Ferentz. Then you are either a lover or a moron.

I don't hate Coach Lickliter. I think he is a good guy that just got in over his head. He stepped into a job not knowing what it would take to be competitive and/or successfull at the high-major level. His lack of experience and poor decision making have been his downfall. At this level the job shouldn't be a "learn as you go" process. Lick was a decent mid-major coach at a school that had a system and tradition that was already set in stone, which when he took over made it easy for him to carry forward that success.

Can he build that system and tradition at Iowa? Maybe, but time isn't on his side, and I think he needs at the least 2-3 more seasons to establish his system, philosophy and tradition at Iowa. But again, nothing is guaranteed even if he did get 2-3 more seasons at Iowa.

Iowa needs someone who has high-major experience under their belt. If Iowa seeks a new coach I don't want to see another hire from the mid-major ranks because I feel that has just not worked out for Iowa.

I'm sure NO ONE would want to get paid millions to coach basketball at Iowa and play in the big ten. Who would think otherwise. By the way, we are vastly improving our facilities, talent is on the way, and the fans will return if there is a product on the floor.

Interesting, that sure wasn't the case a couple of years ago with Capt Kirk there were plenty of people that I am sure post on this board that were calling for a change, but I doubt that you will get many people to admit that they were one of the posters that wanted him gone.

I would guess the same can be said for those that want Lick gone as well if he gets the program back on track or has the chance to do it.

My four choices in no particular order are

Wayne Morgan
Larry Eustachy
Tim Floyd
Johnny Orr

Edit: Bill Fennelly. Can't believe I forgot Bill.

Wayne Morgan
Larry Eustachy
Tim Floyd
Johnny Orr

Exactly. I would add...
  • Jud Heathcote (is he still alive?)
  • Isiah Thomas
  • Dan Gable -- he has lots of coaching experience, and lots of Iowa connections

Wayne Morgan
Larry Eustachy
Tim Floyd
Johnny Orr

Good lord, any more Cyclones you'd like to put on the list? Here's why I like, and dislike, each of them.

Wayne Morgan - Had a nice run at ISU, though is his Big XII record of 22-26 overall isn't all that compelling.

Larry Eustachy. Hmm. Scandal in background, but gotta give it up to him for returning his bonus to Southern Miss after a dissappointing season.

Tim Floyd? After what happend at USC? Not sure I'd go for that. Plus, he has this bad habit of not looking at people, but through them.

While I like Johnny Orr, the guy is 81. How long could walk the sidelines. Orr is a dang fine coach, but could he handle the job physically?

Bill Fennelly. The guy knows winning, in women's hoops. Don't for a second kid yourself, the games are very different. If we wanted a women's coach, why not Vivian Stringer? More success than Fennelly, a hall of fame member and has a tie to Iowa.

Exactly. I would add...
  • Jud Heathcote (is he still alive?)
  • Isiah Thomas
  • Dan Gable -- he has lots of coaching experience, and lots of Iowa connections

Jud is a heck of a coach, but like Johnny, the guy is in his 80s.

Isiah Thomas -- has next to no experience as a college coach. I like his move of donating his entire first-year salary to FIU, however, the guy has not coached at the college level befe.

Dan Gable -- THE MAN. Dan Gable is one of the 10 greatest athletic coaches of all time in any level of any sport. Few can come close to his level of success. He may not be a hoops coach, but he would be a great person to consult in the hiring of a coach.

Now, for my list....though I want to give Lick another year.

John Thompson. Yeah, that John Thompson - not his son. JT is not coaching, and should be.

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State. The guy knows how to win, and how to increase the level of play at the D1 level. Another mid-major guy.

Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M. Had nice run at a mid-major, and is now slugging it out in the Big XII. Has grabbed 20+ wins 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Chris Collins, Associate Head Coach, Duke. The guy is at Duke. I hate Duke, but the team and his success speaks volumes.

Last edited:
Now, for my list....though I want to give Lick another year.

John Thompson. Yeah, that John Thompson - not his son. JT is not coaching, and should be.

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State. The guy knows how to win, and how to increase the level of play at the D1 level. Another mid-major guy.

Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M. Had nice run at a mid-major, and is now slugging it out in the Big XII. Has grabbed 20+ wins 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Chris Collins, Associate Head Coach, Duke. The guy is at Duke. I hate Duke, but the team and his success speaks volumes.

I think Lick should get one more year too, but the only coach you listed that even makes a little sense is Marshall.

For some reason I can't see Thompson wanting to jump back into coaching in the midwest in a state that is like 95% white.

Texas A&M to Iowa is a lateral move at best for Turgeon, and Collins has passed over several better job openings than Iowa. He is either waiting for Coach K to retire, or a top flight basketball school to come calling.

One guy I would have on my list is Tracy Webster, DePaul's interim coach. He probably won't get that job full time, but he will gain valuable head coaching experience and is a very solid recruiter - especially in the Chi area.

HawkeyeMike - You are very right. John Thompson is a dream coach in my eyes. Of the three, Marshall would likely be the easiest to get. However, dangle enough green in front of Turgeon, and he might jump.

I've been watching Marshall for the past couple of years, and he has done some really nice things at WSU. Turgeon built them to respecatblity, then left. He benefitted from a big renovation project at Koch Arena, and got a nice offer from A&M. The program faltered a little in his last year and after he left, but Marshall has a done a nice job of rebuilding.

Was gonna go to the WSU game Saturday afternoon, but the wife and I were celebrating our anniversary that day. Ah well, what ya gonna do?

One guy I would have on my list is Tracy Webster, DePaul's interim coach. He probably won't get that job full time, but he will gain valuable head coaching experience and is a very solid recruiter - especially in the Chi area.

I have been thinking about him as well but I don't think it will happen because he either does poorly at DePaul and loses his job or he does well and gets the head coaching spot. Would we really want him if he has limited success and DePaul gives him the axe?

I have been thinking about him as well but I don't think it will happen because he either does poorly at DePaul and loses his job or he does well and gets the head coaching spot. Would we really want him if he has limited success and DePaul gives him the axe?

Oh he is going to do poorly this season, hell there's a chance he might not win a game. This is his first season with DePaul and he was thrown into a tough situation with Wainwright being let go recently. They just don't have the talent to compete in the Big East now but it still is going to be valuable experience with being "the guy" on the coaching staff now. I think it would be very unfair to judge him on his record this season.

My picks would be:
Lisa Bluder (you don't have to pay re-lo expenses and she's better looking)
The Dude from Northwestern St. that took out Alford's gimps
Gino Aureama (UConn women's coach because he could beat us now with his Lady Huskies) and the dude has won everything at the women's level.

Latest posts