Question for Jon

Jon. Where do you stand on Ferentz and whether he needs to go or should stay? Thanks.

On his toes?

Here is the deal; he's getting 2014. So to sit here and say he should stay or go when I know he's getting 2014 is playing in traffic. Plus, let's see how the rest of this year plays out.

I would say this; if Iowa loses Saturday....no. Not going there unless I have to.

On his toes?

Here is the deal; he's getting 2014. So to sit here and say he should stay or go when I know he's getting 2014 is playing in traffic. Plus, let's see how the rest of this year plays out.

I would say this; if Iowa loses Saturday....no. Not going there unless I have to.

So you are saying you are standing on his toes? That has to be awkward:) I guess the reason I ask is because I have been a huge fan and as time goes by I wonder what he is going to have to do to appease the masses. Thanks for the response. Love the podcasts.

So you are saying you are standing on his toes? That has to be awkward:) I guess the reason I ask is because I have been a huge fan and as time goes by I wonder what he is going to have to do to appease the masses. Thanks for the response. Love the podcasts.

I have a great deal of respect for Kirk. He and his wife Mary have been amazing assets to the community and state. I truly believe that and always will, and the things he has done for people in this state...well, the stories could fill a shelf on a library.

He's also done a fantastic job of leading the Iowa football program...he's on the Iowa football coaching Mt Rushmore, along with Hayden Fry, Howard Jones and Evy. The success Iowa has had the last decade has paid for the facilities upgrades and he has helped position Iowa well for what comes after him.

All this said, he's not perfect. No one is. He has blind spots and I hope those don't ultimately leave a smear on his legacy.

I have a great deal of respect for Kirk. He and his wife Mary have been amazing assets to the community and state. I truly believe that and always will, and the things he has done for people in this state...well, the stories could fill a shelf on a library.

He's also done a fantastic job of leading the Iowa football program...he's on the Iowa football coaching Mt Rushmore, along with Hayden Fry, Howard Jones and Evy. The success Iowa has had the last decade has paid for the facilities upgrades and he has helped position Iowa well for what comes after him.

All this said, he's not perfect. No one is. He has blind spots and I hope those don't ultimately leave a smear on his legacy.

On the College Sports Report on WNSR in Nashville yesterday, they were discussing about Virginia Tech and replacing Frank Beamer, as some fans are getting tired of him.
Jon has alluded to coaches staying too long in this day of age.

1987 - Frank Beamer (Virginia Tech)
1991 - Larry Blakeney (Troy)
1998 - Mack Brown (Texas)
1999 - Bob Stoops (Oklahoma) and Kirk Ferentz (Iowa)
2000 - Gary Patterson (TCU)
2001 - Jim Grobe (Wake Forest), Mark Richt (Georgia) and Gary Pinkel (Missouri)

We've heard the rumblings with Mack Brown, but despite a 4-0 conference record, half of the fans and boosters want Mack gone.

A good number of Oklahoma fans are tired of Bob Stoops, due to longevity and Stoops being far from "Big Game Bob."

With Jim Grobe, he went to an Orange Bowl, and then inked a 10-year contract extension. Sound familiar?
His record at Wake Forest is 77-79 overall and 42-60 in the ACC. His contract ends at the end of the 2016 season, and this is the only thing keeping him there.

Patterson is having a lean year at TCU, but has lots of credibility built up from previous years.

Mark Richt is seemingly on the hot seat every year (mainly due to Florida's success under Urban). His contract ends at the end of the 2017 season.

Gary Pinkel had both on and off-the-field issues in the past 15 months. He's signed through the end of the 2017 season.
Despite last season, Pinkel is 98-62 overall (53-49 in the Big 12) at Missouri.
Since 2005, his win totals are 7, 8, 12, 10, 8, 10, 8, 5 and 8 (so far in 2013). Overall, that's 76-37 since 2005.

Earning my MBA at MTSU, I'm familiar with Troy, and it's, overall, a solid mid-major every year. Blakeney's overall record is 161-80-1. Keep in mind, on average, that Troy plays 2 BCS conference schools every year.

Well said, imo.

On the College Sports Report on WNSR in Nashville yesterday, they were discussing about Virginia Tech and replacing Frank Beamer, as some fans are getting tired of him.

We've heard the rumblings with Mack Brown, but despite a 4-0 conference record, half of the fans and boosters want Mack gone.

A good number of Oklahoma fans are tired of Bob Stoops, due to longevity and Stoops being far from "Big Game Bob."

With Jim Grobe, he went to an Orange Bowl, and then inked a 10-year contract extension. Sound familiar?
His record at Wake Forest is 77-79 overall and 42-60 in the ACC. His contract ends at the end of the 2016 season, and this is the only thing keeping him there.

Patterson is having a lean year at TCU, but has lots of credibility built up from previous years.

Mark Richt is seemingly on the hot seat every year (mainly due to Florida's success under Urban). His contract ends at the end of the 2017 season.

Gary Pinkel had both on and off-the-field issues in the past 15 months. He's signed through the end of the 2017 season.
Since 2005, his win totals are 7, 8, 12, 10, 8, 10, 8, 5 and 8 (so far in 2013). Overall, that's 76-37 since 2005.

Earning my MBA at MTSU, I'm familiar with Troy, and it's, overall, a solid mid-major every year. Blakeney's overall record is 161-80-1. Keep in mind, on average, that Troy plays 2 BCS conference schools every year.

I don't know what this has to do with anything, but it's a lot of interesting info. Thanks.

The days of teams rolling everyone for a decade straight are over. This is specifically why the NCAA reduced the number of scholarships to 85. The talent pool gets spread out too much to load your roster with 5-star players from top to bottom. No matter what program, there are going to be ups and downs. That being said, not having as much talent might be understandable, but consistent coaching blunders is quite another.

I still think the money dictates he stays until the end of 2015 unless he absolutely tanks with that easy schedule next season. And by tank I mean miss a bowl game.

I still think the money dictates he stays until the end of 2015 unless he absolutely tanks with that easy schedule next season. And by tank I mean miss a bowl game.

I think we're 50/50 to make a bowl next year, but I wouldn't consider 5-7 tanking. People keep saying this team is young, but I disagree. We're young at the skill positions and d-line but that's about it.

We may lose 3 linemen (depending on what Scherff does) and our TE from offensive side of the ball and need to replace 5 of our back 7 on the defense, 4 of which a very good players. That's a lot of blocking and tackling lost. Plus we lose a pretty solid kicker.

I think we're 50/50 to make a bowl next year, but I wouldn't consider 5-7 tanking. People keep saying this team is young, but I disagree. We're young at the skill positions and d-line but that's about it.

We may lose 3 linemen (depending on what Scherff does) and our TE from offensive side of the ball and need to replace 5 of our back 7 on the defense, 4 of which a very good players. That's a lot of blocking and tackling lost. Plus we lose a pretty solid kicker.

5-7 is in the tank, after a 4-8 season and with the schedule we have. If one of the (alleged) premier coaches in the country can't win 6 games with this schedule then something has gone terribly wrong, and the "alleged" premier coach should be held accountable. Oops. I forgot that he is above accountability.

Coin flip to make a bowl next year? You serious Clark? Next years schedule is the easiest we have had on paper in years. It would actually take effort from the coaches to not go bowling next year.

Agreed. With that easy schedule, I think Iowa will make another bowl game, so I believe KF's job will be safe for another year. People who want Kirk gone are going to have to endure him for at least the 2014-15 seasons at a minimum.. Unless I am just completely wrong and there are a lot of big donors who really want KF gone and the buyout is truly the only thing keeping him here. I don't get that impression, though.

To miss a bowl next year with that schedule, Iowa will truly have to tank in a big way.

Anyone who wants to give me 5.5 as an over/under for wins next year (which a "50/50 bowl" claim represents), I'd like to place large money on the Hawkeyes.

Coin flip to make a bowl next year? You serious Clark? Next years schedule is the easiest we have had on paper in years. It would actually take effort from the coaches to not go bowling next year.

I see a lot of unknowns on the schedule. I do know for a fact that we lose a lot from this year's team. We're definitely losing the strength of the defense in the LBs, and we very well may lose the strength of the offense in the entire left side of the line, including the TE.

There's so much uncertainty, it's hard to predict anything. I just wouldn't be shocked if we missed a bowl game. Gun to my head, I'd say 6-6, but I wouldn't be surprise at anything from 3 to 9 wins.

Imo, a lot depends on what happens with Scherff and that's a total unknown right now.

I for one appreciate your willingness to wait until the year plays out to judge the coaching and season. At the outset, everyone was "hoping" for 6-6 and better than that record with a decent bowl is very possible.

I for one appreciate your willingness to wait until the year plays out to judge the coaching and season. At the outset, everyone was "hoping" for 6-6 and better than that record with a decent bowl is very possible.
Except for the fact that a lot of people went 6-6 or worse because you factor in losing 2 games a year based solely on awful gameday coaching. This is what people don't understand.

The fact that we are talking about being 50/50 for a bowl next year means there should have been a change already.

Also saying you will wait until next year to decided is a cop out and is only because you would like to say told you so or I knew it was time.