Question for Barta

Agree in theory, but IMO getting out of one hole, but seeing them in another hole shortly down the road means its time to move on. I said it last year and stand by the fact that I see the state of the program going in the same direction as it did during the Lick era.

I see it as only being a matter of time before our non-conference play begins to mirror what we've done in conference play. The weak nonconference schedule has managed to mask things a bit. While I try to remain optimistic and continue to support the program I simply don't see anything jumping out at me making me think that Fran will turn things around. While I'm thrilled that we went undefeated in non-conference slate, and realize how tough our conference is, I simply don't see the progression or changes going forward that make me think we're going to be in the top half of the conference any time soon. Would love to eat crow.
It's hard to say. I don't think we are in danger of getting that terrible again. I think we could fall to 10th or so but not the absolute basement necessarily.

I mean next yr we lose Cook (assuming he's done anyway he could come back if he wants) and Baer but gain PM and Tousant. We'll see how the recruitment of that Foster kid in Oskaloosa goes. The future is always tough to see. I just don't think with how the college basketball landscape is laid out we should almost never not be in the NCAA tourney.. Especially after starting off unscathed through the non con part of it.. That makes absolutely no sense. Now we haven't missed the dance just yet but if I had to bet if we do or don't I know which way I'm leaning.

It sucks that I cannot disagree with you. I'm hopeful they can rebound Sunday against Nebraska, maybe that will restore a little of my confidence. But the Big Ten is up this year, I don't see anybody being an easy win. Illinois is going to play us tough no matter what their record is, maybe Rutgers and Penn State?
I've seen Nebraska play and they are way better in the back court. I don't see how we beat them. But I didn't see us beating Uconn or Oregon either, so, we'll have to wait and see. I'm not optimistic.

I've seen Nebraska play and they are way better in the back court. I don't see how we beat them. But I didn't see us beating Uconn or Oregon either, so, we'll have to wait and see. I'm not optimistic.

Uconn and Oregon turned out to be pretenders. Especially now that Bol Bol is likely out for the year. Pitt is likely going to lose their first 7 ACC games.

By far Iowa's best win of the season is the Iowa State game. Of course they were missing key players.

Uconn and Oregon turned out to be pretenders. Especially now that Bol Bol is likely out for the year. Pitt is likely going to lose their first 7 ACC games.

By far Iowa's best win of the season is the Iowa State game. Of course they were missing key players.
I know. That doesn't help make a prediction either way. What I saw in 3 BIG games, looks like what I expected to see at the beginning of the year. I'm still hopeful they can turn things around. They looked so much better in the OOC.

Dolphin may have been wrong to single out Dailey, but he wasn't wrong. How is Fran going to get better players to come to Iowa? That is the one question Barta should ask Fran. There was so much promise when Fran came in, but it seems like the program is settling into mediocrity. True mediocrity, not the type that some here like to pin on the football program.

I don't think just missing the tournament is enough to fire Fran. I think Iowa will have to be really bad in the Big Ten for Fran to be on the hot seat, like a 14-20 loss Big Ten season. Even if Iowa goes 7-13 in conference that's 18 wins and should get Iowa into the NIT, finish 6-14 or worse and it becomes a little more dicey.

I find it tough to find 6 wins..

Realistically, I think we'll win the following games. +/- 1 game either way.
Neb LOSS
@NW LOSS
OSU LOSS
@PSU LOSS
ILL WIN
MSU LOSS
@Minn LOSS
Mich LOSS
@Ind LOSS
NW WIN
@Rut LOSS
Mary WIN
Ind LOSS
@OSU LOSS
Rut WIN
@Wis LOSS
@Neb LOSS

I find it tough to find 6 wins..
Me too now... Never know about the injury bug for other teams and whatnot. But yeah what teams are we beating on the road? If we can't even put up a fight at Purdue I can't put up much faith in winning just about anywhere. So then when it comes time to playing at home is our home court going to propel us to win any games we 'shouldn't' I can't sit here and say we can upset MSU, Indiana, OSU, or even Neb, or MN at home. It could be a bumpy downhill ride the rest of the way....

I'm a firm believer in this conspiracy theory as well. Fran's contract is guaranteed until 2023, which **coincidentally** is the year Patrick would graduate.
If you can't see the need for the AD to extend a contract to the coach so the recruit knows the coach will be there his four years then you can't be helped. Other schools would use that as an advantage.

If you can't see the need for the AD to extend a contract to the coach so the recruit knows the coach will be there his four years then you can't be helped. Other schools would use that as an advantage.

There's a massive difference between an extension and a buyout. They could extend Fran to 10 years for all I care as long as the buyout is only 500k

Realistically, I think we'll win the following games. +/- 1 game either way.
Neb LOSS
@NW LOSS
OSU LOSS
@PSU LOSS
ILL WIN
MSU LOSS
@Minn LOSS
Mich LOSS
@Ind LOSS
NW WIN
@Rut LOSS
Mary WIN
Ind LOSS
@OSU LOSS
Rut WIN
@Wis LOSS
@Neb LOSS

Maybe they can win @Rutgers but, yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Converting any of those losses to wins would take an upset and playing MUCH better on the road.

But if Iowa finishes 4-16 in the Big Ten (15-16 overall, probably 15-17 after a BTT loss) that HAS to put Fran on the hot seat regardless how much his buyout is.

Gary Barta must be fired. It is irresponsible on his part to award these ridiculous contract extensions for mediocre performance. Barta cannot identify a talented coach who can recruit, especially recruit quick, athletic point guards. As it was with Lickliter, if the attendance goes down, something is likely to be done with a coach being fired. But really, to make way for positive change, both Barta and Fran need to go.

If this team doesn't make the NCAA tourney are you going to fire Fran?
I would like this to be asked to him point blank by someone in the media next chance they get...
I'd be nice to have a point blank question brought to him so fans know where he's at. I mean if a team that runs the table in the non conference for the first time in forever can't make the dance... I know the league is tough. But if we can't even put up a fight against a middle of the road Purdue team.... Yes Garza didn't play and yes we are down Pemsl too. But can any of us sit here and say they'd have made a difference last night? I don't think they'd have made that big of one... Things are going to get a little hot around Fran and Barta's collars if last night was a sign of things to come..

Gary Barta must be fired. It is irresponsible on his part to award these ridiculous contract extensions for mediocre performance. Barta cannot identify a talented coach who can recruit, especially recruit quick, athletic point guards. As it was with Lickliter, if the attendance goes down, something is likely to be done with a coach being fired. But really, to make way for positive change, both Barta and Fran need to go.
No debate from me... Honestly how Barta survived after the school lost that lawsuit is beyond me to begin with... That should have drummed up more backlash towards him then it did... But he's great at raising money and mingling with the high rollers. That's the end all be all. Not wins and losses or how the fans feel...

Latest posts