Quarterback and Other Observations from Saturday

Winterhawk

Was able to be in Kinnick on Saturday and the same things that can be seen on film were more obvious in person.

Those who complain about the lack of big plays and throwing down field are accurate to note the lack of plays, but the reason we don't have them is Rudock. He flat out doesn't have the physical tools to get the ball down field on time, with air and accurate. He pushes the deep ball more than he throws it, and too often waits for the receiver to run open and then underthrows him because of the lack of arm strength. If the ball comes out on-time it is flat and ends up out of reach of the receiver. So those who complain about the coaches not calling more plays down field, or not taking shots, I'm going to give them credit and acknowledge that they are not putting their quarterback in a position that he is unlikely to succeed.

With that said, I'm not inclined to put in C.J. just yet because he throws a better deep ball. The samples we have with C.J. show a live arm, but also less accuracy and significantly lower completion percentages. Those percentages would no doubt go up with more playing time, but I do trust the coaching staff enough to evaluate these players. The offense does have to get better though and it is largely on Rudock. My guess is that he has been coached hard this entire off-season about the interceptions, and it shows in that he is taking his eyes off the deep middle of the field. It's a throw that he can make with his arm strength, but is also where a lot of interceptions happen with crossing defenders. He's checking down before those routes are developing and it messes with the entire offense. You saw the improvement in the last couple drives when he had to hold onto those routes longer. Ultimately this will hold linebackers and safeties to open up running lanes.

Aside from QB play we have two other issues - the obvious kicker and maybe just as obvious John Lowdermilk. Lowdermilk may not be fast enough to play outside linebacker for us, let alone safety. He very well could lose us multiple games.

I hate 2 QB systems, they don't work. You need to pick one guy as the man and stick with him. Also, you can ONLY make that switch once. You flip flop and you get in the head of both QBs. Im not against CJ being the guy, but think long and hard about it before you do it.

However, I really like the idea CJ being a change of pace guy. Defenses will back up and it could clear some running room as well. You use him like Tebow in his first year (not in the plays they run, obviously) Leake was the starter and everyone knew it and Tebow was there to mix things up.

I think the decision on who ultimately plays at qb is whether Rudock can or cannot figure out how to be accurate on the deep ball. I think we can all agree that Rudock is KF's (safe) choice because he manages the clock and doesn't take risks. However, the cost of Rudock's current type of play is that the running game is suffering, due to the horizontal routes and dump-off passes to RB's. This appears to be allowing teams to clock the middle and play run/pass at the same time, because we aren't forcing the LB's or DB's to turn their back to the LOS. The flipside would be to use CJ, which would bring less clock managing but, likely, more vertical passes. This could and should help the running game. To me, if Rudock doesn't prove he can accurately and consistently stretch the field, KF and GD need to figure out who can. If by putting in CJ, the completion percentage goes down, but the vertical threat is legitimate, then you could "clock manage" by being able to run the ball.
This decision is likely to make or break our chances of getting to the B1G championship game, or not, this season. But this is also what KF is getting paid for; to make this very decision.
If it were me, I'd play CJ against ISU to see what he has. And I mean meaningful reps. Rudock has shown he is in sync with the passing game he prefers, so why not see how CJ can do? Regardless of how good a team ISU is or isn't, if CJ cannot help improve the running game by utilizing accurate deep vertical passes, then the case is closed, you go with Rudock and figure out how to get the running game going. If CJ can, however, then you have perhaps started the engine to a high octane offensive engine. QB controversy be damned; it's about getting to the B1G championship game and I, personally, don't care which players get us there. We have 3 legit deep threats (Willies, Smith and Powell) and we should utilize them by trying to target them at least once, each possession, in a 25+ yard pattern.

Greg Davis isn't doing Jake (or the Offense in general) any favors. This horizontal offense lets teams play tight to the line and really sell out vs the Run.

What are jakes numbers through two games?

I think you have to acknowledge they are a mixed bag. Yes, interceptions are 0 and the completion percentage is high, but 6-7 yards per attempt, 24 pts per game against lower level competition and less than 100 yards per game rushing are also a consideration. I don't think anyone would look at the body of work in the first 2 games and say the offense has been the definition of success.

I agree. But.... I would say that although jake hasn't thrown 16 bombs for td's, he has done very well, especially the last game where we couldn't run at all and ball state only had to defend the pass. They knew it was coming, it was all on jakes shoulders, and he came through with two td drives

Greg Davis isn't doing Jake (or the Offense in general) any favors. This horizontal offense lets teams play tight to the line and really sell out vs the Run.

Is that the same horizontal passing attack that CJ was in to throw the 38 yard TD pass?

You are trying to do a ABP - Agenda Based Post

I find it interesting some fans are complaining about Jake ... a guy who has thrown for 550+ yards ... 4 TDs, and no interceptions. Short ball or long ball, that is still impressive... And folks ... we are 2-0! Not saying we don't have concerning issues ... But I will take the 2-0 and just hope we keep growing and learning. There is a reason Jake starts over CJ ... If the coaches felt CJ legitimately gave them a better option at QB then CJ would be our starter. Jake must be doing something right in practice ... There is some reason coaches have make him our starter.

All I have to say is you don't get a good idea what is going on unless your at the game to see the whole field, not what TV shows you. I've been to the ball state game and spring practice. Players are downfield, Ruddock is just to scared to throw to them, and when he does.... He can't complete a ball longer than 15 yds. I saw plenty of open players downfield that he ended up just checking down. CJ should have started the 2nd half, Ruddock was given the chance to win this week, and by the glory of god/our Defense and Ball State's inept offense we won. CJ should get to start a game, he has earned it. I'd rather have a risk taking QB/Stanzi, then this guy. And turn down that speaker system, holy moly. We won't be winning much games with 17 point performances, granted the kickers missed several FG's, but we want TD's, CJ's throw on saturday was perfect, I admire him for taking a shot downfield, nice throw son.

Latest posts