QB Wiegers commits

who knows - rivals has him listed as a pro-style QB. 4* 6'4". With so many teams going to 'fancy' offenses, maybe 'pro-style' qbs are less in vogue - this should be good for a team like IA. also, perhaps the teams that do want a qb like him - perhaps their qb needs were already filled? he did have offers from IA and Rutgers - two relatively good programs, along with a handful of MAC programs. The MAC has put out plenty of really good QBs.

I’ve heard it rumored that Greg Davis can actually coach quarterbacks, was once an offensive coordinator for a national championship caliber team, had something to do with their success, has a top quality offensive line that is good at protecting the quarterback, has some decent tight ends and serviceable running backs to work with.

I’ll try not to get my hopes up too much.

Last edited:
Hawkeye Gamefilm ‏@hawkeyegamefilm 1h
@Jwg1213 @JoshHelmholdt Interesting; wonder if maybe because he's a not a dual-threat QB some schools overlooked him; Iowa's gain either way

Hawkeye Gamefilm ‏@hawkeyegamefilm 3h
Impressive job consistently transitioning off his back foot; doesn't get much pressure but seems to scramble well when play breaks down tho

Watching more highlights of Wiegers; clearly has had some high-level coaching; tight release frame; gets the ball up and out

@deetncee Beneventi is '15 I believe: bigger framed kid, very good arm; not as mobile as current Iowa QBs, more like Stanzi/JVB there

@chillsocray Yeah first thing I thought was; holy hell, who's #9? Catches very naturally and can move. Got to be a D1 prospect if a SR

As a prospect Wiegers resembles current Iowa QB, Jake Rudock; but Wiegers flashed a stronger arm & appears to have a bigger frame.

Above avg athleticism for a pro-style QB; throws well on the run; very accurate on half-rolls&boots;patient and puts ball on front hip

Throws with VG touch on his deep ball;doesn't always drive throws on deep outs but has above avg arm for a HS JR;manages his feet well

Saw Iowa picked up a 4* QB Tyler Wiegers; Running thru JR highlights of Weigers kid; how did this kid not have more offers?

Gamefilm is a rock solid evaluator, and if he is excited, I am excited!! Tyler looks like a great get for the Hawks...talented, with a 4.0 GPA from a good school! Has a quick release and a stronger arm and body than Jake Rudock.....loving this class more all the time...GO HAWKS!

Give the kid a break! I remember when I was just a wee tyke, my Grampa would tell us kids that he played for State Pen and I'm pretty sure he meant Penn State...

Pretty sure...

There is a really bad joke in there somewhere about those two places being the same thing.

Gamefilm is a rock solid evaluator, and if he is excited, I am excited!! Tyler looks like a great get for the Hawks...talented, with a 4.0 GPA from a good school! Has a quick release and a stronger arm and body than Jake Rudock.....loving this class more all the time...GO HAWKS!

Exactly, I feel better hearing that from him than some guy on a message board or even the recruiting sites. Some of those guys have no resume that supports their ability to evaluate talent.

so, we're all in agreement for HawkeyeGameFilm for president? okay!

also, is it a little weird that he has never revealed his identity? is he a former Hawk? if not, why does he like the Hawks so much. if he is a former Hawk, what's there to hide? regardless, his stuff is awesome, and i'm hopeful that he'll do some writeups for the NFL draft.

Whenever I see these comments about what offers a kid has/doesn't have, I have to remind people that it is illegal for a college to announce who they have offered a scholarship to. Only the kid can announce who he has received an offer from, if he wants to. (look up famous stories about kids lying about getting offers from school that didn't - schools can't confirm or deny anything involving schollie offers)

And the pessimist in me says......how long until he flips?

Sorry, it's the Piersbacher I had for lunch.

Let's not be that way. Think what we'll do with all those QB's. Jake will be here too.

Will there be a position switch? i.e. WR Might there be a new position such as a single wing type "WildHawk"?

I hope your indigestion passes quickly.:(

also, is it a little weird that he has never revealed his identity? is he a former Hawk? if not, why does he like the Hawks so much. if he is a former Hawk, what's there to hide? regardless, his stuff is awesome, and i'm hopeful that he'll do some writeups for the NFL draft.

I smell a HawkeyeNation investigative report...much like Dateline, but with less guy trying to get away with murdering his wife because, "who wants to go through the hassle of a stupid ol' divorce!?!?" and none of that Chris Hanson guy catching dudes with condoms, alcohol and bags of weed because they just "wanted to see if the 13 year old girl is ok"...

By the way...I'm still holding out hope that Pierschbacher flips back to Iowa...

Not sure why I'm doing that to myself, but I'm doing it anyway.

He's like batman but more bad *** cause he likes the hawks.

IIRC, Jon said he wouldn't be doing his regular evals this Fall, as he was now employed by the NFL in some fashion. So, Jon probably knows his ID.

Maybe he preferred to remain anonymous because he was under hire by someone else. He offered his insights to HN free as he's a former Hawkeye player or coach.

Whatever the case, he really knows his stuff.

I think the biggest issue is that we now how QBs stacked up like cord wood. NO way all these QBs stay at Iowa....sucks though you'd think we could recruit other positions to even things out a bit....like DL like WR etc.

Latest posts