Purdue Scout: Sizing Up Short

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
#93 DT – JR – Kawann Short – 6’3 310

For the third consecutive game Iowa will face a very good defensive tackle in Purdue’s Kawann Short. In the previous two weeks Iowa had to deal with Michigan St’s Jerel Worthy and Michigan’s Mike Martin. Earlier in the year Iowa saw Penn St’s Devon Still, a player many scouts grade as a 1st round prospect, myself included. Worthy has first round physical tools but hasn’t been as consistent as you’d like to see, and at this point I’d put him as a 1st round grade with an asterisk by his name. Mike Martin is a guy who’s had issues staying healthy throughout his career, but will likely still be a 3rd-4th round type guy come draft day. Iowa has definitely seen their share of quality defensive tackles this season and they can now add Kawann Short to that list. We’ll take a look at Short’s game and see how he stacks up.

Run Game

Short is an active guy in the run game who is able to get into pretty consistently opposing teams back-fields. He is very quick for his size and shoots gaps on his guy often. He’s racked up 15.5 TFL on the season along with 26 solo and 22 assisted tackles. Short lines up mostly as the 3 technique in Purdue’s base 4 man front and will slide out to play a 5 technique in 3 man fronts. He relies mostly on his quickness to get free and will play a little high at times. He’s got solid hand placement but doesn’t have a real violent punch at this point. Purdue will also pinch the A gaps with their tackles pretty often and get a lot of penetration that way. Short is especially effective when they pinch and has produced many of his TFL on A gap stunts. Short is similar to Worthy in terms of first step quickness and Worthy really disrupted Iowa’s run game last week.

Pass rush

Short has 6.5 sacks on the season along many more QB hurries and pressures. He is a pretty good athlete for his size and mostly tries to win with quickness in his pass rush moves. He will use stutter/hesitate+slap moves and some arm overs when lined up inside. He posted two sacks with hesitation moves against Illinois earlier this season. When lined up as a 5 technique he will mix in more variety including spins and rips. Purdue also likes to stunt him back inside from a 5 technique and blitz from the outside from their 3 man fronts.

At times Short will give up on pressing the pocket in his pass rush if his initial burst doesn’t get him free, but he has good awareness of where the QB is in the pocket. He’s pretty crafty at shedding his blocker as the QB tries to scramble and has made some plays doing so. He’s coming off a 3 sack performance last week against Ohio St and 2 of the 3 came on situations where the QB extended the play by scrambling and Short tracked him down. Overall Short is a very solid pass rusher who knows how to pick his spots.

Summary

To effectively stop Short in the run game Iowa will need exhibit sound technique and smart schemes up front. After seeing the Michigan St tape Purdue is almost sure to attack the A gaps on high percentage run situations with Short. Iowa will have to adjust for this and prevent penetration to have success in their zone heavy run scheme. They can do that by switching up the play call some, or fold blocking on Short when he lines up over the A gaps.
As far as the passing game goes, Iowa will need to be aware of where Short lines up and watch for stunts and react quickly. Short only needs a small mistake by the blocker and he’ll get to the QB. The good news in pass protection is that Short is the only real big threat Purdue has. Other than Short the next biggest pass rush threat only has 2.5 sacks on the season and Purdue is 71st in the nation averaging 1.7 sacks per game. This should help Iowa get 2 bodies on him more often than not and give James Vandenberg the time he needs to survey the field.

Good observation Jon. However, they are still allowing 188 yards a game on the ground (unlike MSU and PSU did), so unless he can be everywhere at once, you have to think Iowa will have more success than they did against those two schools.

I think Jon nailed the biggest difference between Short and Still/Worthy/Martin: Purdue's supporting cast on the d-line is not nearly as good. I think Iowa needs to counter Purdue's stunts with counters, misdirections, screens, etc.

And Purdue's pass defense is just 8th in the Big 10, so there should be opportunities there as well. That being said, I expect Purdue to employ the same strategy defensively that we are using offensively: Try to take away one player (Short for them, McNutt for us) and force the rest of the team to make plays. Hopefully Keenan is ready to go this week.

Yeah this piece I put together.

Purdue hasn't been a very good team statistically on defense but has been sporadically good against the run. Their ranking is a bit skewed because of the Michigan and Wisconsin games where they gave up 339(6.4YPC) and 364(6.7YPC) yards, respectively. They held Illinois to 3.7YPC and Penn St to 3.8 YPC; both of whom are respectable rushing teams. I would guess Purdue will give Iowa some troubles in the run game.

Yeah this piece I put together.

Purdue hasn't been a very good team statistically on defense but has been sporadically good against the run. Their ranking is a bit skewed because of the Michigan and Wisconsin games where they gave up 339(6.4YPC) and 364(6.7YPC) yards, respectively. They held Illinois to 3.7YPC and Penn St to 3.8 YPC; both of whom are respectable rushing teams. I would guess Purdue will give Iowa some troubles in the run game.

Purdue will give Iowa troubles or Iowa will give Purdue plenty of opportunities for defensive stops?

I'm still peeved at how mundane Iowa was on 1st down (errr, "Coker" down) against MSU, at an overwhelming rate of failure, yet continued to resort to the same strategy, even when they had opportunities to seize momentum to stay in / win the game. Not that it should be a shock after years and years of continuing to charge directly into the teeth of 7 or 8 man box with little variation to avoid the run-blitz but it still manages to boil my blood.

At times, it almost looks like the staff is so consumed with maintaining balanced play-calling -- oh, oh, we've run a few too many passes and, even though we are having success, we better run the ball, well, because it's what we are supposed to do to keep the defense honest -- that they disregard the probability of success based on situation and game-flow.

I can say this with 100% certainty. With the exception of 2002, whenever a KF/KOK offense has been asked to win a game on the road against even a decent team they will fall short. And no MSU in 2009 doesn't count because we only mustered 15 points that game even with that late drive.

Either the defense wins the game by severely limiting the team or creating turnovers or we lose. It is really that simple. This defense is not 2004 or 2009. We have no chance the next two weeks unless the other team pulls a Nebraska against ISU from 3 years ago and fumbles 8 times.

[/B]

Purdue will give Iowa troubles or Iowa will give Purdue plenty of opportunities for defensive stops?

I'm still peeved at how mundane Iowa was on 1st down (errr, "Coker" down) against MSU, at an overwhelming rate of failure, yet continued to resort to the same strategy, even when they had opportunities to seize momentum to stay in / win the game. Not that it should be a shock after years and years of continuing to charge directly into the teeth of 7 or 8 man box with little variation to avoid the run-blitz but it still manages to boil my blood.

At times, it almost looks like the staff is so consumed with maintaining balanced play-calling -- oh, oh, we've run a few too many passes and, even though we are having success, we better run the ball, well, because it's what we are supposed to do to keep the defense honest -- that they disregard the probability of success based on situation and game-flow.

So you're expecting us to make a comeback by completely abandoning the run with 18 minutes to play against a much better defense than Pitt because that will make all the difference? The run did keep them honest enough. The passing game could have executed better too. It's not like more of that would have gotten better results.

I can say this with 100% certainty. With the exception of 2002, whenever a KF/KOK offense has been asked to win a game on the road against even a decent team they will fall short. And no MSU in 2009 doesn't count because we only mustered 15 points that game even with that late drive.

Either the defense wins the game by severely limiting the team or creating turnovers or we lose. It is really that simple. This defense is not 2004 or 2009. We have no chance the next two weeks unless the other team pulls a Nebraska against ISU from 3 years ago and fumbles 8 times.

Does Purdue & Wisconsin on the road in 2005 not count? How about Wisconsin, Penn St in 2009? Michigan in 2010? I would say you aren't quite 100% certain.

I remember a couple of years ago,Hope basically recruited exclusively in Georgia and Florida. I heard him interview the other day,and he said their team speed has been upgraded bigtime....I fear the Hawks might look slow out there tomorrow. We need some turnover help to win...go get it,Hawks! Go Hawks! Beat the Boilers!!

Latest posts