Purdue observations

Does Painter have a magical portal to a land of giants? Seriously, every year he has a new guy that is freakishly tall. Granted, that kid was not very good and looked as likely to trip as run, but man he was big.
I was impressed with Edey, I think he's going to be a force in a couple of years. He's only a freshman and very raw but he looks like he's got a lot of potential.

My love for Keegan Murray keeps growing each game. I'm still in shock that he's contributing at all let alone playing very meaningful minutes. I thought for sure that the twins would redshirt the first year and were project players. But Keegan is far from a "project" player, he belongs.

There is no reason to redshirt a basketball player this year. This season is a free season from the NCAA for all players - the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility for all players this season. The bonus is that Keegan is in the main rotation - as you said, he belongs.

My takeaway is that Purdue isn’t very good. I really didn’t think Iowa played well either. Another poor shooting night, at least from 3. But, they won a big 10 game not playing as well as the are capable of, so that’s a good thing.
I guess Ohio State (rated) and Notre Dame are not very good either., since Purdue beat them both? Last night was a good win against a good team. Purdue will win their share of games this year.

There is no reason to redshirt a basketball player this year. This season is a free season from the NCAA for all players - the NCAA granted an extra year of eligibility for all players this season. The bonus is that Keegan is in the main rotation - as you said, he belongs.
Just to be clear I felt that way before we knew all players would get an extra year of eligibility. In fact I'm sure there are articles on here where I mentioned this when they committed to Iowa.

So to rephrase my point is that I didn't expect anything out of the twins in their first year.

But he's not the only one, Connor hasn't been hitting many 3's either. Granted he hasn't "chucked" up as many as Nunge (3 less) but when Connor isn't a threat to shoot and make a 3 it makes it much easier for the opposing team to defend the others. I was cringing last night watching Purdue give Connor zero respect from the 3 point line, they were leaving him wide open daring him to shoot.

If I'm the opposing coach game planning my defense against Iowa I'm going to collapse around Garza and force the McCaffery boys, Toussaint, Nunge, and even Bohannon to beat me on the perimeter. Bohannon has made a few 3's (16) but he's also chucking up WAY more (54) and I'll adjust the defense if he suddenly gets hot. I'm going into the game just worried about Weiskamp, Garza, and Fredrick on the perimeter.
When the announcer commented that they were leaving Connor open all night, it's kind of obvious to everyone. We have enough weapons. Don't try to make yourself one. Nobody will buy it anyway.

My observation...Purdue is a tough team. They are really athletic. They are just going to be streaky on offense. Fran actually had a good game plan...they doubled the post...and made them find the open guy...who had to hit from long range. They couldn't do it consistently.

My other observation. What is with the horrific turnovers by Bohannan and Connor...especially Bohannon. He had a couple of head scratchers against Gonzaga and then last night. You are getting ready to put some distance between a team and he hands them two points twice. Connor has made some horrible passes too.

Toussaint, if he starts hitting the three...is going to be someone you have to have on the court more. He's made some silly turnovers also...but he puts so much pressure on the defense with his penetration...cut down on the turnovers and he just has to get more minutes. Murray also needs more minutes...as does Nunge. Good problems to have.

One thing nobody has mentioned was the fantastic job that Fredrick did playing defense against Purdue's #55. That dude came in red-hot from 3 and nailed an early one -- in past years it would have been off the races and the Boilers would jump out to a big, early lead. Every time I looked for #55 after that Fredrick was in his grill, absolutely blanketing him. Not being able to stop the opponent's best player, or best shooter on any given night, has historically been a hallmark of Fran's teams. That was clearly Fredrick's assignment last night, and if it affected his offensive game, so be it. Iowa's defense on #55 was huge, and as far as Iowa's rebounding goes -- once again it proves rebounding is about strategy and effort -- and the Hawks punched both those tickets on the boards last night. Purdue is younger than usual and down a bit, but there's no doubt that in past years that game is a nail-biter down to the end.

Toussaint, if he starts hitting the three...is going to be someone you have to have on the court more. He's made some silly turnovers also...but he puts so much pressure on the defense with his penetration...cut down on the turnovers and he just has to get more minutes.

He doesn't even need to be really good at shooting the 3, just enough to where the defense has to respect him. If he can get the defense to come out and defend him he can blow by about anybody.

Both Connor and Patrick are getting way too many minutes.
Joe T and Keegan should be seeing more PT than either of Fran's boys with the way they're all playing now.
Defensively they are both solid, especially Connor. I think that's why he's on the court as much as he is (besides the obvious coaches son).

I thought Wiesy summed it up incely in his postgame interview, Iowa had been embarrased by Purdue in the games he's played since arriving in IC. The Hawks knew what they were in for, Purdue would play good D, hit the boards, hustle and would be well coached, that's what they were up against and they responded like a good team should.

Purdue really put on some defensive pressure there in the second half and while we had some lapses we did what we had to do.

In Nunge's defense, I'd guess he's making those shots in practice, if h weren't he wouldn't have the green light to keep shooting. I'm guessing he'll start hitting.
What I’ve noticed is almost every 3 is on target and a few inches short. Maybe he should aim for the back of the rim.

But he's not the only one, Connor hasn't been hitting many 3's either. Granted he hasn't "chucked" up as many as Nunge (3 less) but when Connor isn't a threat to shoot and make a 3 it makes it much easier for the opposing team to defend the others. I was cringing last night watching Purdue give Connor zero respect from the 3 point line, they were leaving him wide open daring him to shoot.

If I'm the opposing coach game planning my defense against Iowa I'm going to collapse around Garza and force the McCaffery boys, Toussaint, Nunge, and even Bohannon to beat me on the perimeter. Bohannon has made a few 3's (16) but he's also chucking up WAY more (54) and I'll adjust the defense if he suddenly gets hot. I'm going into the game just worried about Weiskamp, Garza, and Fredrick on the perimeter.
Better close out on Murray at 42.9%. But I agree with your approach. I do think all of those guys will improve from 3...especially JBo.

He doesn't even need to be really good at shooting the 3, just enough to where the defense has to respect him. If he can get the defense to come out and defend him he can blow by about anybody.
He’s at 33.3% which is adequate IMO. But he may be much better or worse...only 2/6.

Better close out on Murray at 42.9%. But I agree with your approach. I do think all of those guys will improve from 3...especially JBo.
Yeah, I was admiring that earlier. I didn't mention Murray because he's a freshman and doesn't have a lot of history yet. So he would have to make a shot or 2 for me (as an opposing coach) to worry about.

But JBo does have the history but he's off to a terrible start. So the same thing with him, I would make him hit a couple before I focused much attention on him.

I didn't realize this, but going into last night's game, he was leading the team in steals, is second in blocks, third in rebounds and had committed only 2 turnovers. I agree with you, but I don't know what else he needs to do to get more time. Maybe if he shot 15% from 3...

it’s the mixing it up on the boards, always in the right spot and never forcing things. He’s got a nice stroke and knocks it down at a good clip when it’s there, but he is definitely a team first guy and I love it. Serious potential there.

CMs shot is so unorthodox I'm surprised he hasn't tinkered with it drastically. He often has his feet and shoulders angled totally the wrong way from the rim and not squared to it when he shoots. It's easy to see why he'd struggle. I'm sure inside 12 feet he can hit em but he isn't quick enough to get in the lane to take too many of those.

My feedback on this speaking as someone who was, at one point, an above average jump shooter and has spent a bit of time researching "The Art of Jump Shooting" as it were (an Internet expert, in other words)...

1. I agree Connor's form is bordering on "unorthodox" - it's a bit weird.

2. In my experience, there's not a lot that can be done about it. Tweaks? Absolutely. Every good jumpshooter I know thinks a lot about their shot and has made tweaks to it over the years. Given the kind of coaching microscope that Connor is under as a starting P5 D1 basketball player, you can rest assured tweaks have been suggested/tried. But, with form like Connor's, you're talking about a total overhaul to get to something more "orthodox" looking (for whatever that's worth...if his shot was unorthodox but money, we wouldn't be having this discussion!). I've never personally seen that work. Some of that is just well-worn habit, but a lot of it comes down to bone structure, body geometry, etc.

3. I think the whole "square up to the basket" thing is overrated. Some guys naturally shoot that way and some guys can be taught/tweaked into shooting that way...but there are way too many good shooters who don't shoot that way for that to be a hard and fast rule. Myself, I would deliberately angle myself - from feet through shoulders - so that my right shoulder (I'm right handed) was nearer to the rim. It feels very natural and, empirically, is effective. I have experimented several times with "squaring up" (and not just "let me try to shoot a couple differently", I mean systematically working on it to see if it would be effective) and it throws my entire shot off - I have trouble keeping my elbow straight, stuff like that. Angling my body keeps everything aligned for me, it's just my body structure I suspect.

My feedback on this speaking as someone who was, at one point, an above average jump shooter and has spent a bit of time researching "The Art of Jump Shooting" as it were (an Internet expert, in other words)...

1. I agree Connor's form is bordering on "unorthodox" - it's a bit weird.

2. In my experience, there's not a lot that can be done about it. Tweaks? Absolutely. Every good jumpshooter I know thinks a lot about their shot and has made tweaks to it over the years. Given the kind of coaching microscope that Connor is under as a starting P5 D1 basketball player, you can rest assured tweaks have been suggested/tried. But, with form like Connor's, you're talking about a total overhaul to get to something more "orthodox" looking (for whatever that's worth...if his shot was unorthodox but money, we wouldn't be having this discussion!). I've never personally seen that work. Some of that is just well-worn habit, but a lot of it comes down to bone structure, body geometry, etc.

3. I think the whole "square up to the basket" thing is overrated. Some guys naturally shoot that way and some guys can be taught/tweaked into shooting that way...but there are way too many good shooters who don't shoot that way for that to be a hard and fast rule. Myself, I would deliberately angle myself - from feet through shoulders - so that my right shoulder (I'm right handed) was nearer to the rim. It feels very natural and, empirically, is effective. I have experimented several times with "squaring up" (and not just "let me try to shoot a couple differently", I mean systematically working on it to see if it would be effective) and it throws my entire shot off - I have trouble keeping my elbow straight, stuff like that. Angling my body keeps everything aligned for me, it's just my body structure I suspect.

Probably a good thing we don't need Connor on the floor to score

He is a floor general and very game savvy

Earlier in his career, he would take the ball inside and usually

Make a layup and/or get free throws

He always has been around 90% on FTs

He is an excellent passer and is adept at the psychological game

He and Jordan get into the opponents' heads

Connor is also quite skillful at the Nudge

Throwing an opponent off balance while avoiding a foul

Last edited:
Hawk D has improved considerably

Jordan needs to keep shooting