Purdue @ Iowa Official Game thread

Fran and his staff don't develop players so well either. A Garza did it himself(with frank as well) and a talent like Keegan will blossom regardless but most of the others are coming along too slow and continue some bad habits that the coaches should be fixing more by now than they have.

We've seen a bunch of players develop under Fran and his staff. White, Baer, Uthoff, Olaseni to name a few developed under Fran and his staff. Keegan had some natural ability but both he and his brother have developed nicely under this staff.

It has reached the point when CMac is in the game basically the other team is playing 5 on 4 on the defensive side. Last night CMac was left wide open and his defender left immediately to double down on the ball. Fran is not stupid and he must recognize that this is a problem. The only thing I see right now that keeps CMac going into games is Ulis, Perkins, and Joe T don't have much of an ability to knock down shots. I would say recruiting mishap for sure. Those players mentioned above solid defenders for the most part, athletic enough, but can't score. Major problem going forward.
I disagree. I think Ulis, Perkins, and Joe T. Simply need to shoot the damn ball. Off the drive, floaters, short jumpers and even 3’s. The are waayy too tentative. ( same with Pmac)

One loss along with Illinois at home that showed we can't compete with the big boys even at home. Also at the 20 game point so it seals it. We pretty much are what we are. Don't see any big improvement or run at anything coming.

Would they have been that good against everyone last night? Can't underestimate our role in it. You would think Oregon was gonna win the title after how they played against us!

There is a reason he gets way less effective in conference. He is on the slow side and a lightweight 6'9". A rebounding liability in conference and gets the worst of it if he try to go aggressive in the B1G. Needs to come off screens and give and go's and catch some lobs but not beating many forwards in conference off the dribble or inside.

We need Sandfort to be out there hitting the 3's and PMac trying to track down boards. Would be nice if he could do that more like Baer did but he is not Baer. Not sure why Sandfort is not there more as a dangerous 3 point shooter yet. He doesn't have to bulk up or develop something new. They just need to run stuff to get him open and he should do what he seems to be known for and shoot. At this point to have CMac and Bohannon shooting way more is a bit puzzling. I'm lying of course cause it is Fran so not puzzling just frustrating.
He is not slow. Not at all. Watch him guard, even smaller, quicker players. See how deep he gets into the lane. Watch him block some shots. Yes, he is a light weight for 6’9”. He also gets tired. It is a health issue, of course. We all know that. I want him to relax and enjoy the game. Even if he plays fewer minutes that is ok. Hard worker, this young man. Wow.

I disagree. I think Ulis, Perkins, and Joe T. Simply need to shoot the damn ball. Off the drive, floaters, short jumpers and even 3’s. The are waayy too tentative. ( same with Pmac)
That would be nice but let's be realistic. We are 19 or so games into this season and you are what you are. Ulis Joe T and Perkins are good defenders but just haven't shown consistent offensive production. I'm guessing in high school they couldn't be stopped but this level better competition and they have hit the wall so to speak. Maybe it's a coaching thing a recruiting thing idk. I just know it's frustrating to watch say a Wisconsin team run out bench guy after bench guy and they all can score.

That would be nice but let's be realistic. We are 19 or so games into this season and you are what you are. Ulis Joe T and Perkins are good defenders but just haven't shown consistent offensive production. I'm guessing in high school they couldn't be stopped but this level better competition and they have hit the wall so to speak. Maybe it's a coaching thing a recruiting thing idk. I just know it's frustrating to watch say a Wisconsin team run out bench guy after bench guy and they all can score.
You certainly have the cold facts stated correctly. No argument there. I just really wonder if giving these guys marching orders to let it fly would improve things. Fran is famous for giving guys the green light. I think I have seen these guys open for shots they should take. Maybe wishful thinking.

He is not slow. Not at all. Watch him guard, even smaller, quicker players. See how deep he gets into the lane. Watch him block some shots. Yes, he is a light weight for 6’9”. He also gets tired. It is a health issue, of course. We all know that. I want him to relax and enjoy the game. Even if he plays fewer minutes that is ok. Hard worker, this young man. Wow.
I'll argue it with you. He is not the slowest but a bit too slow. Long stride covering more ground helps you keep up but does not mean you are quick enough to gain an edge. He is not Aaron White who had a step and would get open for some lobs and was better as a slasher who could attack. How about not quite quick enough if you don't like the term slow. :)

PMac is fast enough he just hesitates too much. He dribbles all the way across the top of the key but doesn't get anywhere. PMac plays way too many minutes, you can just see him pacing himself, less minutes would make him more effective. Fran refuses to sub one or two players at a time unless foul problems. He is playing the starting five 10 plus minutes regardless of how they are playing as individuals and mass subs around the 10 to 12 minute mark. I don't know why he won't play more players early to see who has the hot hand or if one of the bench players would play better with the starters. At some point against the bigger centers in the league he has to play one of his back up centers more minutes. My biggest criticism of Fran this year was not playing some of the players more when we had the creampuff schedule games. Kris, Perkins, the young centers, and Sandfort should have been playing many more minutes that they did. I was at the game and it's undeniable that the two glaring weaknesses of this team is point guard and center. That's just something that can't really be fixed in season. I will continue to watch and enjoy this team but my expectations have been lowered.

I'll argue it with you. He is not the slowest but a bit too slow. Long stride covering more ground helps you keep up but does not mean you are quick enough to gain an edge. He is not Aaron White who had a step and would get open for some lobs and was better as a slasher who could attack. How about not quite quick enough if you don't like the term slow. :)
Fair enough

PMac is fast enough he just hesitates too much. He dribbles all the way across the top of the key but doesn't get anywhere. PMac plays way too many minutes, you can just see him pacing himself, less minutes would make him more effective. Fran refuses to sub one or two players at a time unless foul problems. He is playing the starting five 10 plus minutes regardless of how they are playing as individuals and mass subs around the 10 to 12 minute mark. I don't know why he won't play more players early to see who has the hot hand or if one of the bench players would play better with the starters. At some point against the bigger centers in the league he has to play one of his back up centers more minutes. My biggest criticism of Fran this year was not playing some of the players more when we had the creampuff schedule games. Kris, Perkins, the young centers, and Sandfort should have been playing many more minutes that they did. I was at the game and it's undeniable that the two glaring weaknesses of this team is point guard and center. That's just something that can't really be fixed in season. I will continue to watch and enjoy this team but my expectations have been lowered.

He should put Ogy in sooner when we are being punished by bigs

He can put 5 Hard fouls on them, make them think twice about taking it to the basket

Riley should get more minutes simply for his size and defensive ability

What could it hurt to give those guys more floor time

Give the starter and first lads off the bench a bit of a break

Don't know if Riley is red-shirted or not

It’s only 1 loss folks, to a team that has a legit shot at winning it all. The way Purdue shot the 3 ball, paired with their inside power, they would have beaten anyone last night.

As I stated before…losing to Purdue means you need to win in Happy Valley. That game is a tricky spot for Iowa on Monday.

As I stated before…losing to Purdue means you need to win in Happy Valley. That game is a tricky spot for Iowa on Monday.
I hope they win and I will eat crow if they do, but this team is not beating one of the most physical teams in the Big on their court. Keegan would have to go for 40 and it would still probable be a loss. Penn State will punish our guards who can't handle physical play. Their defense was stifling us in Iowa City.

Purdue humiliating Number 16 Ohio State at the Mackey Complex

They are the real Deal

To come back from a large deficit at Mackey and Carver

Says a lot about the Hawks, outsized and undermanned

They take it to the limit

Purdue is a Final Four team and a threat to take the Natty Trophy home

Excuse me

Buckeyes tie it up with 20 seconds to go in the game

Purdue Ball

Boilermakers nail a three with .3 seconds on the clock

Not looking forward to playing at Ohio State next Thursday