Purdue @ Iowa Official Game thread

Student section was close to full and into the game. Pep band was explosive! Crowd tried pretty hard to support the team, but damn, Purdue couldn’t miss tonight. One comment on the officials. They are no worse than the other crews I have seen this year. The BT teams will not last long on the tournament where they have to play by the rules.

Student section was close to full and into the game. Pep band was explosive! Crowd tried pretty hard to support the team, but damn, Purdue couldn’t miss tonight. One comment on the officials. They are no worse than the other crews I have seen this year. The BT teams will not last long on the tournament where they have to play by the rules.

Yawn!!!!!!! Lmao.. Iowa lost because Fran is an idiot. that’s FACT…

Like football, Purdue just plays well v. Iowa.
They've had their best 3pt shooting games at CHA the few years.
Tonight, no exception.

Mon @ PSU in big, can go 6-4 at midpt of conf schedule, playing half on the road
Williams definitely shows up vs Iowa.

I've seen him come up MIA in other league games.

It’s only 1 loss folks, to a team that has a legit shot at winning it all. The way Purdue shot the 3 ball, paired with their inside power, they would have beaten anyone last night.

It’s only 1 loss folks, to a team that has a legit shot at winning it all. The way Purdue shot the 3 ball, paired with their inside power, they would have beaten anyone last night.
One loss along with Illinois at home that showed we can't compete with the big boys even at home. Also at the 20 game point so it seals it. We pretty much are what we are. Don't see any big improvement or run at anything coming.

Would they have been that good against everyone last night? Can't underestimate our role in it. You would think Oregon was gonna win the title after how they played against us!

I am begging for PMAC to shoot the damn ball. He can drive and pop or shoot the 3. He is 6’9” and needs to go up aggressively.
There is a reason he gets way less effective in conference. He is on the slow side and a lightweight 6'9". A rebounding liability in conference and gets the worst of it if he try to go aggressive in the B1G. Needs to come off screens and give and go's and catch some lobs but not beating many forwards in conference off the dribble or inside.

We need Sandfort to be out there hitting the 3's and PMac trying to track down boards. Would be nice if he could do that more like Baer did but he is not Baer. Not sure why Sandfort is not there more as a dangerous 3 point shooter yet. He doesn't have to bulk up or develop something new. They just need to run stuff to get him open and he should do what he seems to be known for and shoot. At this point to have CMac and Bohannon shooting way more is a bit puzzling. I'm lying of course cause it is Fran so not puzzling just frustrating.

One loss along with Illinois at home that showed we can't compete with the big boys even at home. Also at the 20 game point so it seals it. We pretty much are what we are. Don't see any big improvement or run at anything coming.

Would they have been that good against everyone last night? Can't underestimate our role in it. You would think Oregon was gonna win the title after how they played against us!

Huge difference between Oregon last year, who got awarded a first round bye, and Purdue. Purdue actually has a chance at winning it all, I'm not saying they will but they have a team capable of it. Long odds of winning a game when the opposing team shoots 60% from the floor, including 13 out of 22 from the 3. You want to blame the defense for that, fine, but I've seen shittier defenses not allow 60% shooting on their own home court. At this level of college basketball it's rare for an away team to shoot that well, hell you don't see many teams shoot that well in their own gym.

Going into this season we all knew Iowa was going to have a problem with opposing Big Ten bigs, nobody with a rationale mind expected this team to compete for the Big Ten championship. What Iowa does have is a good team that has some talent on it, talented enough to win enough games that should qualify them to play in the big dance. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year after losing Garza & Wieskamp to the NBA and Fredrick & Nunge to the transfer portal. If this is what rebuilding looks like I'll take it.

On Feb 1st, we will have zero quad 1 Wins for the season.

Are you surprised? Keep in mind Iowa lost almost 70% of it's scoring from last year. Iowa is in good shape to reach the NCAA tournament despite not having anyone that can really compete with Big Ten post players. Last year if you would have told me that after losing Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, and Nunge we would still be in good shape to reach the NCAA tournament I wouldn't have believed you.

It has reached the point when CMac is in the game basically the other team is playing 5 on 4 on the defensive side. Last night CMac was left wide open and his defender left immediately to double down on the ball. Fran is not stupid and he must recognize that this is a problem. The only thing I see right now that keeps CMac going into games is Ulis, Perkins, and Joe T don't have much of an ability to knock down shots. I would say recruiting mishap for sure. Those players mentioned above solid defenders for the most part, athletic enough, but can't score. Major problem going forward.

Remember back when Iowa hit 19 3s in a game? That was this season believe it or not. Now we can't hardly hit any. When your 2 pgs both can't shoot and CM stinks at them as bad as he does it just bogs down the O. Messes up whatever spacing you need to try and give the Murrays room to work. Purdue is good and well coached. They are a matchup nightmare for us. If not for us not turning it over very much and making a ton of FTs (and Purdue missing a bunch of them) it wouldn't have been as close as it was.

It has reached the point when CMac is in the game basically the other team is playing 5 on 4 on the defensive side. Last night CMac was left wide open and his defender left immediately to double down on the ball. Fran is not stupid and he must recognize that this is a problem. The only thing I see right now that keeps CMac going into games is Ulis, Perkins, and Joe T don't have much of an ability to knock down shots. I would say recruiting mishap for sure. Those players mentioned above solid defenders for the most part, athletic enough, but can't score. Major problem going forward.

This has been going on for a while now. He's only attempted 28 shots all season, 25 of them from 3. He's not on the court to score.

This has been going on for a while now. He's only attempted 28 shots all season, 25 of them from 3. He's not on the court to score.
Last night was the first time that I've noticed the defender just runs away from him to double down. Seems like most teams sag off him and pray he'll fire away. What is his % on the 28 shots??? 15% at best

Last night was the first time that I've noticed the defender just runs away from him to double down. Seems like most teams sag off him and pray he'll fire away. What is his % on the 28 shots??? 15% at best

Probably, he's only made 5 shots. Again, he's not on the court to score. He's on the court to defend and help everyone else out to score. Bitching about Connor got old a long time ago.

This team has some players on it that probably don't have to be here. Didn't really lose that much and as much a rebuilding year than it being constructed worse than it could be. Could have moved on from Bohannon and CMac could be playing baseball only. Maybe have a true center and another quick distributing guard to help hone JT along with himself.

Hey you get a Garza or a Keegan once in a while and you only have them for so long. Either you make the hard decisions and get the best in here for them to have a more complete team or you don't. You go home early or you maybe get to that sweet 16. You can look back on how good they were or look back at both them and their teams as quite good and memorable.

Fran and his staff don't develop players so well either. A Garza did it himself(with frank as well) and a talent like Keegan will blossom regardless but most of the others are coming along too slow and continue some bad habits that the coaches should be fixing more by now than they have.

Not so hot in either individual or team aspects. If I had a quarter for all the times I can say why is that guy in that position, why aren't they moving w/o the ball, why aren't they closing the middle, why did they shoot with no one close to being in rebounding position etc.

Probably, he's only made 5 shots. Again, he's not on the court to score. He's on the court to defend and help everyone else out to score. Bitching about Connor got old a long time ago.
Call it what you will, but I think what I trying to say was CMac on the court is not a scoring threat we knew that now his minutes on offense is getting his teammates doubled down on. Not good.