Punt Return Team "Performance"

hawkod

I know this is a small part of the picture, but since it is small it should be one of the easiest things to fix. I have two primary gripes: 1) Whatever happened to our ability to block or nearly block our opponent's punts with some regularity? 2) Why can't we at least catch the majority of the balls punted to us?

It seems that whoever drops back to receive punts is under explicit instructions to do whatever it takes to 'not fumble' the kick. In other words, unless you're sure the punter has outkicked his coverage by at least 20 yards stay the hell away from the ball. I understand not wanting to turn the ball over, but I am so tired of watching the other team get off a 35-40 yard punt and then watch it roll another 20 yards with of course no return.

With 85 Division I scholarship athletes and a number of other capable walk-ons why can't we find one guy who can at least get under 90% of these punts and at least catch them. I don't care if he fair catches every last one of them, at least we won't be giving up countless field position yards by just letting them bounce and roll closer to our goal line.
So far this year our opponents have punted 34 times and we've returned a whopping 7 of them for an even more whopping 34 yards. The returner is protected completely if he wishes to fair catch the punt so there's no reason to not field every last one of them unless they're shanked or crushed completely over the player's head.

Let's get back to making the other team afraid of a block when they drop back into punt formation and save needless yards by being a little more assertive on our receiving end. We don't need new players to pull these two things off.

You do realize that a fair catch doesn't count as a return, right? Hyde hasn't let very many just go by, unless they're too difficult to reliably catch or he lost it in the sun (as he did on one two weeks ago).

You do realize that a fair catch doesn't count as a return, right? Hyde hasn't let very many just go by, unless they're too difficult to reliably catch or he lost it in the sun (as he did on one two weeks ago).

I'll say that he hasn't done a bad job, but he does leave a lot to be desired. I just seem to remember him letting a lot more roll past him than you do.

oh, for an andy brodell on this team. of course, didn't he fumble that one that ended up costing us against NWern?

it seems like Hyde has let quite a few roll by, don't have any stats on that though. hey, maybe Bernstine can fair catch a punt?

I'll say that he hasn't done a bad job, but he does leave a lot to be desired. I just seem to remember him letting a lot more roll past him than you do.

I meant outside of the ones that are just not able to be reliably caught, Hyde doesn't let many (if any) go.

Our punt return game is one of the LAST areas that I'm actually concerned with. It's been like this for a LONG time. No reason to nit-pick on it now.....unless you're just looking from something to nit-pick.

Latest posts