Public Poll on Fran's future!

Do you want Fran fired, round 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3 NCAA appearances in 8 years. Team is worse this year than it has ever been, and will likely miss the NCAA tournament again next year. Time to move on.

3 in 8 ties Steve awfulford, next year will be 3 in 9 which is worse. If he fails to win more than 14 this year and next season he ties Lick for Lick type seasons It’s your stat of the day , stat of the day

3 in 8 ties Steve awfulford, next year will be 3 in 9 which is worse. If he fails to win more than 14 this year and next season he ties Lick for Lick type seasons It’s your stat of the day , stat of the day

Exactly. I can't believe that some people still give Fran a pass in year 8. 3 NCAA appearances in 5 years is like the minimum we should expect, that is barely getting by and Fran isn't even doing that.

Contrast what ISU has done crawling out of the gutter at the same time Iowa has. They have 6 NCAA appearances, and have a young team now that is going to be lots better next year. Fran has 3 NCAA appearances, and has a team that missed the NCAA last year, is worse this year, and will likely miss the NCAA again next year.

8 years is more than generous, and Fran just hasn't got it done. I am also sick and tired of his buffoonery on the sidelines making himself and Iowa look like a clown show. Keep your emotions in check for *ucks sake.

The other problem is the fact is if Fran comes back next year, and then we fire him, the 2019 recruiting class falls apart with Patrick being the centerpiece. Get him gone, hold onto Weiskamp (he is a Hawk fan) and now you have plenty of time to reset the 2019 class. Plus the next coach will have some decent young pieces to work with in Weiskamp, Jordan, Cook, Nunge and Garza.

Exactly. I can't believe that some people still give Fran a pass in year 8. 3 NCAA appearances in 5 years is like the minimum we should expect, that is barely getting by and Fran isn't even doing that.

Contrast what ISU has done crawling out of the gutter at the same time Iowa has. They have 6 NCAA appearances, and have a young team now that is going to be lots better next year. Fran has 3 NCAA appearances, and has a team that missed the NCAA last year, is worse this year, and will likely miss the NCAA again next year.

8 years is more than generous, and Fran just hasn't got it done. I am also sick and tired of his buffoonery on the sidelines making himself and Iowa look like a clown show. Keep your emotions in check for *ucks sake.

The other problem is the fact is if Fran comes back next year, and then we fire him, the 2019 recruiting class falls apart with Patrick being the centerpiece. Get him gone, hold onto Weiskamp (he is a Hawk fan) and now you have plenty of time to reset the 2019 class. Plus the next coach will have some decent young pieces to work with in Weiskamp, Jordan, Cook, Nunge and Garza.
Careful HawkGold thinks we are the same person lol. You can never be sure about JW or kids getting influence from their parents. I grew up with the Hinrich family . He was a Leeds boy which is a neighborhood in Sioux City. He was an Iowa st fan growing up but then he switched when Tim Floyd was no longer in the picture

I voted to give the axe at Season's end.

I feel strongly about this because if we do not move now we are roster doomed. In 2 years 80% of the roster is gone. More than half of the incoming recruits are Fran loyal. If we make the move now we have an extra year to fill Connor and Patricks spots.

Just so everyone knows. I do indeed love Fran as a person and as a mentor of children into men. I will be sad to see him out on his goose. I appreciate what he has done for Iowa basketball, but not enough to let him put it back in the cellar. Mark my words. If Fran doesn't go this year we are dooming ourselves to 4 to 5 years of abysmal basketball.

I voted that he deserves a few years. Let's face it, he's got a few good players coming in that are highly rated and when they play in the allstar games or camp with the top players...they belong (Joe & Patrick). The only problem is, he needs to recruit a top player outside his family and life long Hawk fans. He's got a couple of guys, Garza and Nunge, but they aren't ready yet to be prime time players...yet. Give them a year, and hopefully we make progress. The real issue is the backcourt. We need a point guard who can create for others...consistently.

Here's my issue with Fran though. If you are going to be a dick and do the tirades (berating his players, referees), you better win. Bobby Knight got away with that routine because he won games...Tom Izzo wins. Question...if you had options...would you play for Fran? I'm not sure. Obviously, I'm not sure how he treats his players in private...but the public lashing when mistakes happen is a bit much.

I also think on questionable calls, they rarely go Iowa's way. Basketball is one of those games where officials have more leeway on the way the game is called than any other sport. Charges and fouls can be ambiguous calls...and swallowing the whistle or calling a block vs charge is subjective. I'm not saying it's why we lose...but Fran hasn't really endeared himself to the zebra's over the years. He's somewhat of a liability in this regard...and it's something else to overcome.

I think he steps down at the end of the year. I forgot who posted it, but the way he or she laid it out made a lot of sense.

It would be easier for everyone if he just got out now. This is Fran’s last year.

I voted 2 more years.

This year is a loss. And ugly.

BUT, I will give him an opportunity to fix what he has created. I will give him time to show me he can learn from this and take us to the next level.

He rebuilt this program from the depths. And as much as I dont like watching the games this season, I will be fair.

Maybe he can fix it. I doubt it. But Im willing to give him a shot.

And to be honest, I dont want Barta hiring another coach for our 2 major programs.

Fire Barta and I will change my answer.
That's really the bigger issue is Barta. Don't really understand why the U would let a guy that was derelict in his admin. responsibilities that costed the U a bad reputation AND $6M would be allowed to remain at the helm, THEN allow him to screws up more athletic programs for the next decade potentially. He certainly could cost the U more than he brings in.

I think he steps down at the end of the year. I forgot who posted it, but the way he or she laid it out made a lot of sense.

It would be easier for everyone if he just got out now. This is Fran’s last year.
I think the only way he leaves at the end of this year is if his agent goes in and asks for an extension in Fran's contract. At some point soon Fran's going to contend you need to extend me or how am I going to be able to recruit and turn this thing back around. In fairness to Fran, Kirk always gets alot of leeway to turn things around and now he's locked in to the lifetime "just win 1 more game than you lose" contract. So, as bad as this year is going to end we really owe it to him to see if there's significant improvement next year. If he hits a 6th place finish next year or better in the conference then you'll owe him another year with Cook and JBo as Seniors to see if he can finish Top 3.

Funny, there are a lot of people that don't consider a play in game loss as a Tournament appearance. Some people have a losers mentality, some don't.

The NCAA tournament field is 68 teams. Iowa made the tournament, it is pretty simple. Only a loser would want to say that his team didnt' make the NCAA when indeed they did.

Oftentimes timing is key when considering a coaching change. Are there some clear up and comers that might be wise to approach and check for interest? This may or may not be a good year for good available candidates (that would show interest). Some years are better pool years than others and I would think the agent network would help quality that once approached.

I'm for letting the season play out before a Fran verdict is reached and assess whether some improvement shows itself in the 2nd half of the season. Need to see some positive movement that shows we are better than the recent games have shown. Fran needs to sell his next season vision with detail to Barta. Will Barta buy into it or is it a stretch?

I'd be surprised if Fran is gone but Barta also puts himself in a hot seat position if he waits and we see another season of struggles with Fran. Barta will be gone if BB and FB struggle next season in my opinion.

Latest posts