Public Poll on Fran's future!

Do you want Fran fired, round 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theboat

Some of the posts in the other poll made me want to see what happens if we break it down a little.

My post from the other thread on this (I voted 2 more years):

"I'm curious why you think a coach deserves two more years if he doesn't make the Tournament next year. I mean if you don't make the Tournament three straight years you should lose your job especially when one of them you were probably the worst team in the conference."

Yes, it is interesting my position as someone who thinks Fran is going to fail anyway, but is still willing to give him 2 more years. Here is the reason. If I was the AD, he has met my litmus test, for the most part, of getting Iowa to the NCAA tournament at least 2 out of every 4 years (up to this point). Technically speaking, I don't believe he did this though in his first 4 years. I don't count an NCAA first four as an official invite unless that said team wins that game. Some disagree with that, but that is my opinion on it. However, I'm willing to give him a pass on the first 4 years on my NCAA standard considering:

A. How the bad program was after the Alford and Lick years.
B. He made improvement every year in his first 4 years.

In his second 4 years (including this year and I am assuming no NCAA tournament appearance this year ), he will have 2 NCAA tournament teams. So, he met my basic expectations.

So all considering, I can't fire him based on merit. I think he does deserve a chance to right the ship.

Again, I don't think it is going to happen though. I think he will fail. But, as his boss, I would want to give him that chance. I do think there is a slight chance he could turn it around. But, I don't think it is very realistic considering he has to coach fundamentals much better, recruit much better, and be willing to do it.

But, not as his boss, if Barta were to let go of him before these 2 years are up, I don't think there should be pitchforks outside of Gary's office either. This is because, although what Fran has done has been nice, it has hardly been memorable. Iowa is not Northwestern. I think Iowa is a program that should and can be in the NCAA tournament at least 50% of the time in a decade.

Now what Bowlsby did to Mr. Davis, I think that was an outrage. In my opinion, Iowa was a competitive NCAA tournament team most years under Mr. Davis. Mr. Davis was Iowa's last real Big Ten coach in my opinion. Mr. Davis likely should have retired from Iowa. I believe, Iowa would still be consistently competitive to this day if that was the case.

I voted 2 more years.

This year is a loss. And ugly.

BUT, I will give him an opportunity to fix what he has created. I will give him time to show me he can learn from this and take us to the next level.

He rebuilt this program from the depths. And as much as I dont like watching the games this season, I will be fair.

Maybe he can fix it. I doubt it. But Im willing to give him a shot.

And to be honest, I dont want Barta hiring another coach for our 2 major programs.

Fire Barta and I will change my answer.

I voted "Yes, at the end of the year. It is time to go in a new direction and for the love of God don't let Gary Barta have anything to do with the new hire!"

Reactions: ISC
I see one glaring discrepancy with this poll. If one is allowed to change his or her vote and the poll never closes....

I see one glaring discrepancy with this poll. If one is allowed to change his or her vote and the poll never closes....
its-the-lug-nut-fixed-it.jpg

I voted "Yes, at the end of the year. It is time to go in a new direction and for the love of God don't let Gary Barta have anything to do with the new hire!"

"Deep down, I know you are right." I believe that. And, the flip side is we will spin our wheels and go nowhere for 2 more years. But, I guess I'm still not quite there and I'm willing to give Fran his due for meeting my minimal standards. But, I will gladly carry a pitchfork in a couple of seasons. In the meantime, I will be gladly sharpening the forks.

Yeah, but it will be interesting to see the psychological evolution of people’s stance if he loses out, or turns it around.

For sure, and I was just messing. Make as many polls as ya want. I personally feel this season has been lost for a while, so IMO, it doesn't matter how many wins they finish with, I am still gonna be in the "he gets next year and the NCAA or bust" position. Like, I don't think we need to re-visit the "Should Fran be fired" hot take after every loss. But that's just me.

What I am looking for the rest of the year is smaller rotation, more playing time for Jordan, Cook, Nunge, Garza, Moss, Baer and to an extent, Dailey & Pemsl in some spot minutes I suppose and for the team to play and work harder at defense. I am not holding my breath for any of that....but it's what I am looking for.

For sure, and I was just messing. Make as many polls as ya want. I personally feel this season has been lost for a while, so IMO, it doesn't matter how many wins they finish with, I am still gonna be in the "he gets next year and the NCAA or bust" position. Like, I don't think we need to re-visit the "Should Fran be fired" hot take after every loss. But that's just me.

What I am looking for the rest of the year is smaller rotation, more playing time for Jordan, Cook, Nunge, Garza, Moss, Baer and to an extent, Dailey & Pemsl in some spot minutes I suppose and for the team to play and work harder at defense. I am not holding my breath for any of that....but it's what I am looking for.

LMAO because you know after next season what the argument will be if Cook stays around; “Cook and Bo are seniors next year and Garza and Nunge are Juniors and Wieskamp in a soph and Fran’s boyz are now playing. On paper that looks compelling, but it’s a never ending saga.

I dont even know what approach fans will have for the football team? We get to wave at the kids in the hospital at the end of the first quarter?

Some of the posts in the other poll made me want to see what happens if we break it down a little.

I'm in between the first 2 No options. I can't see the team making a big enough jump to make the Dance next year so can't say its Dance or bust. That said, we need to be in the hunt into Feb. Basically if we see sizable improvement and development next year, I'd be willing to give him another year after next. If not...next year is it.

Let him stay here. He might coach a Final 4 team next year! Fran is running a clean program. " Clean clothes,means it's clean. Right? The kids are getting educated and are graduating with a degrees.

Latest posts