PTL Update 7/22

Woodbury is still the only "pure 5" on the team, IMO, for whatever that is worth. Gabe didn't most of his scoring by facing up his defender and using his speed/length. He doesn't really have a back to the basket game. Neither does Meyer.

This is why eventually I think Woodbury and Olesani could do well in the front court together at the same time after Basabe and McCabe graduate. Right now my bet is White and Basabe will start at the two frontcourt spots.

What about McCabe?

Either/or really. I think McCabe and Basabe are like 1A and 1B. More than starting lineups, the fun part of this year is Coach Fran can really start to look at player combinations. Not just who is playing well individually but which players mesh well together?

The main thing is with these three players as solid bets, that I'm not sure Gabe or Adam will start at 5 at least at the beginning of the year.

What do you think?

I do think that Gabe and/or Adam will start early in the season against our non-conference foes, just to get their feet wet and see what they can do against non-Iowa opponents. There seems to be so much talent and depth on this team that one of the main jobs of the coaching staff will be to discover what combination of players will be the most effective on each particular game day.

Either/or really. I think McCabe and Basabe are like 1A and 1B. More than starting lineups, the fun part of this year is Coach Fran can really start to look at player combinations. Not just who is playing well individually but which players mesh well together?

The main thing is with these three players as solid bets, that I'm not sure Gabe or Adam will start at 5 at least at the beginning of the year.

What do you think?

I would agree.

Woodbury is still the only "pure 5" on the team, IMO, for whatever that is worth. Gabe didn't most of his scoring by facing up his defender and using his speed/length. He doesn't really have a back to the basket game. Neither does Meyer.This is why eventually I think Woodbury and Olesani could do well in the front court together at the same time after Basabe and McCabe graduate. Right now my bet is White and Basabe will start at the two frontcourt spots.

im not sure where you got the idea that 5's must play back to the basket. Hakeem Olojiwon and David Robinson both come to mind as 5's who primarily faced the basket and used quickness to attack the basket.

Gabe is most certainly a five. Rarely if ever will he and woody be on the floor at the same time.

Rarely if ever will he and woody be on the floor at the same time.

This year, but if they are both still here in two years im guessing they will be on the floor together allot. They have almost opposite skill sets.

Gabe has a really good looking jump shot, I wouldn't be surprised to seem him develop range almost to the 3 line in a year or two.

I think I'm in love with Fran McCaffery. Total mancrush. There I said it. How they hell did he get this done so quickly? We have legitimate depth and some players that have great upside potential in the near term. I think we are almost back.

the high post offense has become much more integral to basketball anymore than the low post offense. most 4s & 5s are more face up guys without pure back to the basket moves...this is facilitated by a move to the high post and pick and roll offenses. fran uses some low post things but mainly uses high post offenses. i would argue that the best low post game on the team belongs to mccabe. woody is probably 2nd because he hasnt really been challenged in the low post until now (he's always been half a foot to a foot taller than everyone).

the high post offense has become much more integral to basketball anymore than the low post offense. most 4s & 5s are more face up guys without pure back to the basket moves...this is facilitated by a move to the high post and pick and roll offenses. fran uses some low post things but mainly uses high post offenses. i would argue that the best low post game on the team belongs to mccabe. woody is probably 2nd because he hasnt really been challenged in the low post until now (he's always been half a foot to a foot taller than everyone).

Just pure ability to put the ball in the basket I would say the best post scorer is Basabe. Hes almost automatic when hes down low one on one.

Problem is hes way to easy to double because hes a terrible passer.

Latest posts