PTL 7/2 Hawkeye stats

Coach K was interviewed on Dan Patrick once and DP asked him if there was any shooter throughout his coaching career that stood out above all others. His answer was Kingsbury. He may not have shot the highest percentage ever, but the percentage he shot in relation to his shot selection was unmatched. If he would have stayed his senior year, the career 3 point record would never be broken.

I was in college during the Kingsbury era. The guy absolutely filled it up and as PCHawks says not with spot up uncontested 3s. He would stop and pop from 30and drain em. His Soph year, he shot 40% from 3 with no fewer than 1/4 of those shots from well beyond the NBA line. He changed games by being on the floor. The only other player I remember draining shots from that far out was MSUs Scottie Skyles. Too bad both of them had off the court issues.

Most of the guys on the board aren't old enough to remember Kingsbury. I thought he was a good player. Time has a way to distort memory, and its been a long time since he played for Iowa. I don't think he was ever drafted by the pros. He did enter the NBA draft as a junior but wasn't selected. He was a great shooter, but I think McCausland had a higher 3 point shooting percentage. Ellingson and Fleming look like they are going to be really good players for Iowa, but it still remains to be seen. I doubt Kingsbury played better than Matt Gatens when Gatens was a senior.

Kingsbury > Gatens.....

I was in college during the Kingsbury era. The guy absolutely filled it up and as PCHawks says not with spot up uncontested 3s. He would stop and pop from 30and drain em. His Soph year, he shot 40% from 3 with no fewer than 1/4 of those shots from well beyond the NBA line. He changed games by being on the floor. The only other player I remember draining shots from that far out was MSUs Scottie Skyles. Too bad both of them had off the court issues.

30' turn around jumpers over defenders.

The 4-5 game stretch Gatens had his senior year > Kingsbury

Kingsbury > the rest of career of Gatens

It's really hard to compare the two. First of all, they played in different eras and secondly they played on much different teams. Gatens played on horrible teams where Kingsbury was just one of many weapons on his teams such as Woolridge, Bartles, Murray and Settles to name a few.

It's really hard to compare the two. First of all, they played in different eras and secondly they played on much different teams. Gatens played on horrible teams where Kingsbury was just one of many weapons on his teams such as Woolridge, Bartles, Murray and Settles to name a few.

Gatens and Kingsbury were both great players, but since neither one of them made the NBA there can't be that much difference between them. Ellingson and Fleming look like they are going to be real good for Iowa. I don't know if either one of them has the ability to make the NBA, but if they have solid careers at Iowa then the difference between Ellingson, Fleming, Gatens, and Kingsbury can't be that great. Gatens would of had a lot different career had he played on the teams Kingsbury did. Gatens was pretty phenomenal during a stretch of games his senior year.

Gatens and Kingsbury were both great players, but since neither one of them made the NBA there can't be that much difference between them. Ellingson and Fleming look like they are going to be real good for Iowa. I don't know if either one of them has the ability to make the NBA, but if they have solid careers at Iowa then the difference between Ellingson, Fleming, Gatens, and Kingsbury can't be that great. Gatens would of had a lot different career had he played on the teams Kingsbury did. Gatens was pretty phenomenal during a stretch of games his senior year.

There probably isn't much difference between Kingsbury and Lil Lick since neither one made the NBA. :)

There probably isn't much difference between Kingsbury and Lil Lick since neither one made the NBA. :)

By your logic there isn't much difference between Kingsbury and you if you ever played a game of basketball. Lil Lick wasn't a major conference recruit. Of course, he was a walk on at Iowa, so he probably could take you in a game of one-on-one.

By your logic there isn't much difference between Kingsbury and you if you ever played a game of basketball. Lil Lick wasn't a major conference recruit. Of course, he was a walk on at Iowa, so he probably could take you in a game of one-on-one.

Since I never made the NBA either, we are all 3 one in the same.

I'm pretty sure Lit'l Lick could have schooled me. As a matter of fact anyone who played any level of college ball could have taken me.

From a point per possession stand point Gatens' game against Wisconsin is as impressive as you're going to get:
33 points on 7-10 3s against a team playing at a tremendously slow pace.

From a point per possession stand point Gatens' game against Wisconsin is as impressive as you're going to get:
33 points on 7-10 3s against a team playing at a tremendously slow pace.

The other teams defense put a lot more pressure on Gatens than they ever did Kingsbury. Kingsbury had more help than Gatens did. I think Gatens, Kingsbury, Ellingson, and Fleming are all great players. Gatens and Kingsbury have already proven themselves when the lights are on.

Just trust the people who saw them both play.

Kingsbury was a more all around talented player and better shooter and it's not that close.

Kingsbury squandered his talent about every way possible while Gattens maximized his.

It astounds me the mythos that been built around Kingsbury.

True, he had a tremendous sophomore year where he averaged 17 ppg and made 2nd team All Big Ten; the team averaged over 80 points per game.

And did not make the NCAA tournament.

Still, he led the team in scoring and shot nearly 40% from 3.

The next year I remember vividly. It was a year very much like Iowa basketball 2 years ago: High expectations that resulted in massive disappointment (though, I'm afraid, not to the degree of RDM's senior year).

At the heart of that disappointment was Kingsbury. He was benched often. Those same 3s he launched 5 feet behind the arc clanged as his 3 point shooting percentage dropped to 30% (For comparisons sake, Josh Oglesby shot 29% behind the arc last year). Mr. Davis often yanked him, and he found himself not even starting. An unspectacular athlete, who only shot OPEN 3s, by the name of Kent McCausland started to pilfer minutes from him. The Hawks turned the season around with Kingsbury mostly riding the pine: going 7-3 over their last 10 and making the NCAAs behind Woolridge, Settles, Millard, and Murray.

He then declared for the pros after a junior season average of 11 points per game.

True, at their respective zeniths Kingsbury was a superior player: limitless range, a quick release, a perfect lift fake, and artistic passing.

Unfortunately, with the exception of that sophomore season, his career was uneven and frustrating.

For Gatens, getting Iowa back to the NIT his senior year is nothing to sneeze at or discredit; he was raising walls that had been utterly demolished. Gatens did the unsexy during most of his career; however, he unquestionably raised his game during his senior year: hitting a higher % of open shots, providing long-sought vocal leadership, playing tenacious defense, and working his tail off coming around screens. Also during that year he went SUPER NOVA. For a 2 game spell he reached a ceiling very, very few in Big Ten HISTORY have hit: making 12 consecutive 3-pointers during a 2 game span to became the first BIG TEN PLAYER to score 30 points in back-to-back games versus two ranked teams since 1996-97 (Indiana and Wisconsin, respectively).

With all of this being written, Hawkeye fans will be fortunate if any of our shooters turn into a Gatens or a Kingbury. Just put me in the camp of wanting our young athletes to turn out more like 4 years of Gatens instead of 3 years of Kingsbury.

And sorry for the long post.

I'm pretty sure Lit'l Lick could have schooled me. As a matter of fact anyone who played any level of college ball could have taken me.

I think you sell yourself short. Unless you are wheelchair bound, I think you have a shot at breakin Lick Jr's ankles.

It astounds me the mythos that been built around Kingsbury.

True, he had a tremendous sophomore year where he averaged 17 ppg and made 2nd team All Big Ten; the team averaged over 80 points per game.

And did not make the NCAA tournament.

Still, he led the team in scoring and shot nearly 40% from 3.

The next year I remember vividly. It was a year very much like Iowa basketball 2 years ago: High expectations that resulted in massive disappointment (though, I'm afraid, not to the degree of RDM's senior year).

At the heart of that disappointment was Kingsbury. He was benched often. Those same 3s he launched 5 feet behind the arc clanged as his 3 point shooting percentage dropped to 30% (For comparisons sake, Josh Oglesby shot 29% behind the arc last year). Mr. Davis often yanked him, and he found himself not even starting. An unspectacular athlete, who only shot OPEN 3s, by the name of Kent McCausland started to pilfer minutes from him. The Hawks turned the season around with Kingsbury mostly riding the pine: going 7-3 over their last 10 and making the NCAAs behind Woolridge, Settles, Millard, and Murray.

He then declared for the pros after a junior season average of 11 points per game.

True, at their respective zeniths Kingsbury was a superior player: limitless range, a quick release, a perfect lift fake, and artistic passing.

Unfortunately, with the exception of that sophomore season, his career was uneven and frustrating.

For Gatens, getting Iowa back to the NIT his senior year is nothing to sneeze at or discredit; he was raising walls that had been utterly demolished. Gatens did the unsexy during most of his career; however, he unquestionably raised his game during his senior year: hitting a higher % of open shots, providing long-sought vocal leadership, playing tenacious defense, and working his tail off coming around screens. Also during that year he went SUPER NOVA. For a 2 game spell he reached a ceiling very, very few in Big Ten HISTORY have hit: making 12 consecutive 3-pointers during a 2 game span to became the first BIG TEN PLAYER to score 30 points in back-to-back games versus two ranked teams since 1996-97 (Indiana and Wisconsin, respectively).

With all of this being written, Hawkeye fans will be fortunate if any of our shooters turn into a Gatens or a Kingbury. Just put me in the camp of wanting our young athletes to turn out more like 4 years of Gatens instead of 3 years of Kingsbury.

And sorry for the long post.

Great post. I attended many, many games that Kingsbury and Gatens played in (different times, of course). I'd take Gatens in a heartbeat, over Kingsbury. Gatens is what a college player is supposed to be. Someone that gets better every year, for 4 or 5 years. Put it this way. Imagine that team of Woolridge, Settles, Mullard and Murray if Gatens was on it. Gatens would have fit into the framework of that team. It would have been "pick your poison". And Gatens played much better defense than Kingsbury.

Latest posts