Proposed B1G Schedule Asjustment

BrueCrew3

I know with other "more important issues" to be discussed on the message board this might get overlooked, but I've been thinking about this for a while. The B1G needs to revamp their basketball scheduling. Here's what I think they should do:

Go to something similar to football: Two divisions of East/West. You play everyone in your division twice. If you split it just like football, you have good basketball schools in both divisions.

You want to keep it 20 games? GREAT! You have one team from the opposite division that you play home/home. You want to reduce the number of games to 18? That's fine too. You have one team from the opposite division you don't play at all. Both ideas keep it so all teams have the same number of home and away games.

Here's where I think you take it. You make it a 19 game schedule. You pick a weekend mid season. You have a "B1G Jamboree" at 2 neutral sites, someplace where the BTT is NOT being played. You play 4 games at one site and 3 games at another. You've got plenty of cities that could host. New York, DC, Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis. Heck, you could even throw in Des Moines or Omaha, or Milwaukee!

When it comes to B1G Tourney time, the top 2 teams in each division get the double bye. The next two in each division get the bye. I'll leave how you seed them up in the air.

Again, just my 2¢ .. ..

I like the conference standings as it is. My only suggestion would be (and this would never happen) go to a 26 game conference schedule and play everyone twice. That would leave one or two "warm up" games, a rivalry type game (Iowa State), and a conference challenge. Eliminate the Kennesaw State type games and possibly the neutral site tournaments.

I like the conference standings as it is. My only suggestion would be (and this would never happen) go to a 26 game conference schedule and play everyone twice. That would leave one or two "warm up" games, a rivalry type game (Iowa State), and a conference challenge. Eliminate the Kennesaw State type games and possibly the neutral site tournaments.
I think we have to play some games against non conference opponents. It provides a baseline for how the Big 10 matches up. Outsiders would say there’s no way of knowing if those teams are good because they don’t play anyone.

And 20 games is my personal limit. I don’t want the entire season to be 13 opponents.

I think with basketball you need enough non conference games (preseason tournaments, Big Ten/ACC challenge, etc) to really get a feel for how the Big Ten conference stacks up with other conferences.

I think we have to play some games against non conference opponents. It provides a baseline for how the Big 10 matches up. Outsiders would say there’s no way of knowing if those teams are good because they don’t play anyone.

And 20 games is my personal limit. I don’t want the entire season to be 13 opponents.

beat me to it, but yeah.

I know with other "more important issues" to be discussed on the message board this might get overlooked, but I've been thinking about this for a while. The B1G needs to revamp their basketball scheduling. Here's what I think they should do:

Go to something similar to football: Two divisions of East/West. You play everyone in your division twice. If you split it just like football, you have good basketball schools in both divisions.

You want to keep it 20 games? GREAT! You have one team from the opposite division that you play home/home. You want to reduce the number of games to 18? That's fine too. You have one team from the opposite division you don't play at all. Both ideas keep it so all teams have the same number of home and away games.

Here's where I think you take it. You make it a 19 game schedule. You pick a weekend mid season. You have a "B1G Jamboree" at 2 neutral sites, someplace where the BTT is NOT being played. You play 4 games at one site and 3 games at another. You've got plenty of cities that could host. New York, DC, Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis. Heck, you could even throw in Des Moines or Omaha, or Milwaukee!

When it comes to B1G Tourney time, the top 2 teams in each division get the double bye. The next two in each division get the bye. I'll leave how you seed them up in the air.

Again, just my 2¢ .. ..

Interesting thoughts.

How did you come up with 19 game schedule? Seems a rather odd number and actually is an odd number. Why not an even number like 20.

If you have two divisions, how do you come up with the overall conference season champ?

You play a couple of warm up games. Basically with my idea I'm adding more Big Ten games instead of games against Texas Tech, San Diego State, and Cincinnati so what difference does it make? Now those games count towards the conference standings. The non conference schedule wasn't too bad this year but we've seen non conference schedules where it's been one cream puff after another.

But don't worry my idea will never happen anyway. Schools wouldn't like losing 2-3 home games per year even though keeping the revenue in the conference would probably even out. Big Ten games should produce more TV revenue than Iowa vs Oral Roberts/Kennesaw State/ect.

I think with basketball you need enough non conference games (preseason tournaments, Big Ten/ACC challenge, etc) to really get a feel for how the Big Ten conference stacks up with other conferences.

You can still do conference challenges, maybe even a tournament. I'm wanting to get rid of the games against Cream Puff U.

But like I said, it will never happen. It's a preference I have, I prefer watching Iowa versus the Big Ten instead of Iowa verse SIU-Edwardsville/Oral Roberts/Cal Poly.

Interesting thoughts.

How did you come up with 19 game schedule? Seems a rather odd number and actually is an odd number. Why not an even number like 20.

If you have two divisions, how do you come up with the overall conference season champ?

It'd be 19 because the 2-plays would be in your own division, which makes 12 games (you can't play yourself), and then the 1-plays against the other division which would be 7 games.....equals 19. Honestly, that's probably the fairest way to do it. You could still crown the team with the overall best conference record as the regular season champion. The divisions would just exist for scheduling purposes.

The issue as it exists right now would be competitive balance. The West would have the two dogshit teams in Neb and NW and the East would be loaded with traditional powers in Indiana, MSU, Mich, OSU, and Maryland.

You can still do conference challenges, maybe even a tournament. I'm wanting to get rid of the games against Cream Puff U.

But like I said, it will never happen. It's a preference I have, I prefer watching Iowa versus the Big Ten instead of Iowa verse SIU-Edwardsville/Oral Roberts/Cal Poly.

Well then you run into the revenue streams and all that BS. A lot of big ten teams desire creampuffs for additional home games and also to work out kinks in their rosters. Kinda like how Iowa football won't play a home/home with anyone because they already play Iowa State and "need" the extra home game revenue from cupcakes

make no mistake...college football/basketball #1 priority is money.

It'd be 19 because the 2-plays would be in your own division, which makes 12 games (you can't play yourself), and then the 1-plays against the other division which would be 7 games.....equals 19. Honestly, that's probably the fairest way to do it. You could still crown the team with the overall best conference record as the regular season champion. The divisions would just exist for scheduling purposes.

The issue as it exists right now would be competitive balance. The West would have the two dogshit teams in Neb and NW and the East would be loaded with traditional powers in Indiana, MSU, Mich, OSU, and Maryland.
Thanx Spidey .. you beat me to it ..

Well then you run into the revenue streams and all that BS. A lot of big ten teams desire creampuffs for additional home games and also to work out kinks in their rosters. Kinda like how Iowa football won't play a home/home with anyone because they already play Iowa State and "need" the extra home game revenue from cupcakes

make no mistake...college football/basketball #1 priority is money.

I know those extra home dates are a big deal (I said this in my reply to Winsor) but I would think having extra decent games to sell would make up that difference but it's extra revenue going through the BTN instead of directly to the school in gate receipts and concessions. There is a reason why some of those non conference games are only available through BTN+, it's because they don't sell.

Yeah, there are always a few non-conf games that are weak and attendance suffers. It was one of the reasons Tom Davis was sacked as attendance dwindled. But there are so many of the made for TV conf vs conf and blue blood vs blue blood type games scheduled that it would take away from the season.

A 20 game schedule seems to take out the chance of a less than deserving team making a run with a few upsets in a 14 game schedule.

Latest posts