Proctor Out

Meh.
I'm not going to begin to consider his motivations. I could really care less and I'd be speculating. For all I know, or care, he missed the warmer weather. Fair enough. I mean, I think given the choice...what athlete wouldn't want to play for Alabama over Iowa? Take the black and gold glasses off, and answer genuinely. You know the answer.

But I will consider the state of affairs that allows this to happen. The money (comprehensively) is a paradigm shifter.
And not for the good.
1. The TV $$ for, and ever growing importance of, "playoffs and a championship".
2. The TV money for superconferences (see 1)
3. The NIL money (there is good in it, I can feel it) is overall going to be bad. I can understand switching programs because they're not happy in their program. Good for them. They should have ease in doing that. But the idea of switching schools explicitly because of money? Good for the kid, I guess. It's no longer amateur sports. And now the schools have to manage essentially a professional sport, inside the confines and under the umbrella of an organization that also manages any number of sports that simply only cost them money.

Fine, so split football and basketball out of the NCAA into some new organization. What now? Do we get "owners" in college football? Does Stan Kroenke come in, offer Michigan $5 million a year to subcontract out the Michigan football team? And he gets to keep whatever's left of the $40 million they generate? Maybe shares some percentage of revenue growth beyond $40 million?

It seems somewhat inequitable when you can outright pay college athletes. Are we gonna see salary caps? I mean, sh$t. If I'm any team other than 10 or so teams that are constantly vying for the title, I'm thinking it's time to start pushing for a draft. Free agency, I think would begin what junior year? Not sure how red shirting would play into that. Of course, how are we going to handle trades? Seems like this is all gonna shake out great.

Regardless, I cannot lay complete blame on his mother. Granted she has a big influence on him apparently, but money, fame and so forth corrupt young minds. At some point, his character has to come into question.
Chasing money and fame is one thing and I totally get it. As a parent I'd be incliuined to follow money to a degree as well.

But flipping 3 times (twice on Iowa and once on Alabama) after making promises is a character issue. If his mom is fine with what her kid is doing she's somewhat of a POS in my opinion. It's fine with me if folks don't agree with that. Part of being a good human being is integrity, some people don't have it because they weren't taught it, and some people don't have it despite the efforts of their parents/mentors to teach it to them.

Either way, at least one person in that household is a shit burger, doesn't matter too much to me who it is. I'd never hire someone like that to work for me and wouldn't choose to be friends with someone like that. Rich or poor, integrity is the ultimate test of someone's worth.

Chasing money and fame is one thing and I totally get it. As a parent I'd be incliuined to follow money to a degree as well.

But flipping 3 times (twice on Iowa and once on Alabama) after making promises is a character issue. If his mom is fine with what her kid is doing she's somewhat of a POS in my opinion. It's fine with me if folks don't agree with that. Part of being a good human being is integrity, some people don't have it because they weren't taught it, and some people don't have it despite the efforts of their parents/mentors to teach it to them.

Either way, at least one person in that household is a shit burger, doesn't matter too much to me who it is. I'd never hire someone like that to work for me and wouldn't choose to be friends with someone like that. Rich or poor, integrity is the ultimate test of someone's worth.
Best point of this whole situation. Well said.

I 100% agree. It is also the responsibility of a parent to instill values in your child regardless if your child is athletically gifted or just an average kid. These values are what make them into a decent person with character as the grow into an adult.

Somewhere this has been lost with greed and fame and fortune with this young man. And sadly, some who get propped up by those interested in a young man's talents, you begin to become drunk from the power you hold. Couple in his LaVar Ballesque mother proclaiming her son is a further NFL lottery pick and wants compensation, it's a sad and pathetic situation. She isn't the first and won't be the last of a parent trying to cash in her kid's talent.

It's hard not hide the anger being a diehard Hawkeye fan, but moreover it's disappointment and disgust of being a human being. We have seen this narrative before where all can be lost in a moment and dreams come crashing down. I don't wish anything of this nature on him. It's just sad and disappointing.

And maybe this was more mutual than we know. Maybe with some of the character flaws we are now potentially seeing, maybe he was not right for our program and how things are run at the Universit of Iowa Athletics. Who knows....

You will never convince me this wasn’t planned all along.

If I understand this correctly, he didn’t receive any money from the collective, but received a small percentage from NIL. Which makes me think this wasn’t planned, but there is no counter to Proctor’s timing in all this and you could very well be right.

Is there any nil money available to assist parent(s) in their moving expense to be closer to their kid? Maybe set up a gofundme page for Mom?

Actually i was surprised by the news. If anything, I expected him to stand out this year and take the first round bus to the NFL

To what end?
If I understand this correctly, he didn’t receive any money from the collective, but received a small percentage from NIL. Which makes me think this wasn’t planned, but there is no counter to Proctor’s timing in all this and you could very well be right.
It sounds to me 100% that he went on spring break with his Bama buddies (as reported), and they talked him into flipping. I don't think it's a greed thing. I think the kid is a dipshit and wasn't raised right, in that you don't do stuff like that because no one will respect you as a person eventually.

It's not money, it's ethics.

And from the sound of it he doesn't have any ethics. Luckily for him he'll be worth 9 figures over his career and he won't have to be concerned with being a good person. Being a huge douche bag isn't illegal, and if you have enough money you just surround yourself with people who don't mind huge douche bags...because you can afford to.

I 100% agree. It is also the responsibility of a parent to instill values in your child regardless if your child is athletically gifted or just an average kid. These values are what make them into a decent person with character as the grow into an adult.
There's a lot of comparison being made to Wirfs because it was similar situations...single mom raising kids on her own, etc.

Welp...here's the deal. I've had the pleasure of meeting Wirfs' mother a couple times at tailgates and she's an absolute peach of a person. Total sweetheart of a lady. One of those people you can tell they have a heart of gold right off the hop. I've also met Wirfs and he's a frickin hoot. Talked to my son for quite a while after a spring game and a whole bunch of other kids, permanent smile on his face and he addressed every single kid standing there. It was a gaggle of 10-12 year olds all staring at this guy who's the size of an ealry 80s Ford Bronco and he ate it all up.

I haven't met Proctor or his mom, but I'm pretty confident in saying that neither Wirfs nor his mother would do any of the bullshit Proctor and his mom do. At all. The comparison couldn't be more apples/oranges. Which is probably why Wirfs fit so well here and will go down as one of the Iowa footbal GOATs.

But I digress...it's a free country. One can be as big an asshole as one wants and Proctor has every right to flip 20 times if he thinks there's enough demand for himself. And I'm also free to think the kid is a dunce who doesn't know any better at best, and a narcissistic dick bag at worst.

Yup. Good one.

It sounds to me 100% that he went on spring break with his Bama buddies (as reported), and they talked him into flipping. I don't think it's a greed thing. I think the kid is a dipshit and wasn't raised right, in that you don't do stuff like that because no one will respect you as a person eventually.

And from the sound of it he doesn't have any ethics. Luckily for him he'll be worth 9 figures over his career and he won't have to be concerned with being a good person. Being a huge douche bag isn't illegal, and if you have enough money you just surround yourself with people who don't mind huge douche bags...because you can afford to.
That is truly sad.

There's a lot of comparison being made to Wirfs because it was similar situations...single mom raising kids on her own, etc.

Welp...here's the deal. I've had the pleasure of meeting Wirfs' mother a couple times at tailgates and she's an absolute peach of a person. Total sweetheart of a lady. One of those people you can tell they have a heart of gold right off the hop. I've also met Wirfs and he's a frickin hoot. Talked to my son for quite a while after a spring game and a whole bunch of other kids, permanent smile on his face and he addressed every single kid standing there. It was a gaggle of 10-12 year olds all staring at this guy who's the size of an ealry 80s Ford Bronco and he ate it all up.

I haven't met Proctor or his mom, but I'm pretty confident in saying that neither Wirfs nor his mother would do any of the bullshit they do. At all. The comparison couldn't be more apples/oranges. Which is probably why Wirfs fit so well here and will go down as one of the Iowa footbal GOATs.

But I digress...it's a free country. One can be as big an asshole as one wants and Proctor has every right to flip 20 times if he thinks there's enough demand for himself. And I'm also free to think the kid is a dunce who doesn't know any better at best, and a narcissistic dick bag at worst.
narcissistic dick bag

I want to be mad at the kid but if I think back to what I was like at his age I’m not sure that I was any better at decision making. I hope he finds what he’s looking for. Go Hawks.

It's called having "F you" money

Latest posts