"Pro Set" offense

hawkdrummer1

Tebow, Steven A and Jesse Palmer are discussing DeShawn Watson's NFL projections post NC game. (forget whether you like any of these guys for the moment, in this case they know what they're talking about).

Tebow stated an obvious point (that Kirk and Brian need to hear). The "pro set" offense is no longer the standard in the NFL. Nobody goes under center and runs power right. Duh. You have to pass, you need to use the whole field. Wake up Kirk...you're living in the past. You don't run a "pro set" offense. You run a 20th century pro-set offense.

That's crazy because I was just watching Seattle beat some team this weekend and the lined up in the I-formation and the announcers went into this long detailed conversation about having a fullback and runningback directly behind the quarterback means that the defense doesn't know which side of the field you are going to run to. Then Seattle runs it up the middle for a first down.

Tebow, Steven A and Jesse Palmer are discussing DeShawn Watson's NFL projections post NC game. (forget whether you like any of these guys for the moment, in this case they know what they're talking about).

Tebow stated an obvious point (that Kirk and Brian need to hear). The "pro set" offense is no longer the standard in the NFL. Nobody goes under center and runs power right. Duh. You have to pass, you need to use the whole field. Wake up Kirk...you're living in the past. You don't run a "pro set" offense. You run a 20th century pro-set offense.
This is why the only hope I'm clinging to is that BF has taken a lesson from the folks in New England.

Tebow is right about the "pro set" not being pro anymore, but it doesn't have to be either Iowa style or straight up spread only. There is a middle ground (a la Patriots) than can work better than either one.

Comparing the role of the run game and the pass game in the pros to the college landscape is like comparing a giraffe to a helicopter.

There's you're problem right there. Steven A doesn't have a clue and Tebow and Palmer weren't fit for pro sets.

"Pro style" sets, such as the I-formation and ace formations are still absolutely a staple of NFL offenses. You'd be hard pressed to find a single NFL game where these formations aren't included. What's different is they've adapted the most successful parts of college offenses, such as pass heavy offenses and power spread teams (which is essentially pro-style concepts just from the shotgun or pistol), and integrated them into their systems. There is nothing wrong with the pro-style itself, as many people seem to confuse it with Iowa's style of offense. It's the playcalling and the creativity involved in the offense that determines its success.

Comparing the role of the run game and the pass game in the pros to the college landscape is like comparing a giraffe to a helicopter.
Agreed. You can get by with an average passing game in college, whereas the professional game requires elite QB play to win a championship.

There's you're problem right there. Steven A doesn't have a clue and Tebow and Palmer weren't fit for pro sets.

"Pro style" sets, such as the I-formation and ace formations are still absolutely a staple of NFL offenses. You'd be hard pressed to find a single NFL game where these formations aren't included. What's different is they've adapted the most successful parts of college offenses, such as pass heavy offenses and power spread teams (which is essentially pro-style concepts just from the shotgun or pistol), and integrated them into their systems. There is nothing wrong with the pro-style itself, as many people seem to confuse it with Iowa's style of offense. It's the playcalling and the creativity involved in the offense that determines its success.

Good job of point out some essential details. Thanks! (NO sarcasm)

Agreed. You can get by with an average passing game in college, whereas the professional game requires elite QB play to win a championship.
Exactly, they have to be able to quickly look at the defense and decide what they need to do and then execute it. Not so much in the college game.

I don't know about that. Maybe a helicopter to a F15 might be a better comparison. Both are designed to fly but 1 does it a whole lot better, faster and higher.

Hold on, aren't Tebow and Palmer QB who couldn't run a pro offense no matter what the "set" was?

Which means absolutely nothing within this framework. Look at a list of the greatest coaching minds in the NFL current and past. You won't find any all pros on that list. Great coach and great Player rerely overlap

Which means absolutely nothing within this framework. Look at a list of the greatest coaching minds in the NFL current and past. You won't find any all pros on that list. Great coach and great Player rerely overlap

agree it is rare, but I can think of a few exceptions, well at least at the college level

Jim Harbaugh was a pretty good QB and has been a pretty good coach

steve spurrier won the Heisman at Florida, then won the national championship as a head coach at Florida.

but for the most part, great coaches were not all pros, that is true.

Funny. I really liked watching the Chargers when Dan Fouts was in his prime. Air Coryell. They lined up in either an I formation or a two back backfield.... and passed a TON. That passing game is what the "West Coast" offense is based on. We don't need to change formations all that much; we need to have a passing game out of our running formations and running game out of our passing formations. Then the opposing side won't know what's coming. I'd guess something like 90% of the time (probably higher) when we were in shotgun formation we passed. Let's mix outcomes for the different formations.

Latest posts