Pro football rumors is reporting...

Drakebulldog93

That Wirfs and Epenesa are both returning next year... never heard of the site before and I tried to link it but I couldn't. Have no idea how accurate or what their actual knowledge is. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I'll bet you that even Wirfs and Epenesa don't know what they will do next year. Waaay too early for that kind of talk.
Had they gone out there and participated in the festivities and met their parents at midfield with the seniors it would have removed all doubt.
:)

They can't do that - they aren't seniors but I know you are kidding.. However, you should watch Tristan's post game interview about watching the Paulsens run on the field today. Sounds like he wants to be a Hawkeye senior, but agree too early.

I think it’s quite plausible that Wirfs and AJ stay for another year. You look at what’s coming back next year, and it can be a special season ahead. AJ is just such a humble guy, and family and education is big in his life. He probably thinks he’s got a lot of improvement to make and maybe feels he didn’t meet his goals or feels like he wants to finish what he started.(like a big ten championship.) I would love to have him stay another year, but also understand if he doesn’t.

That Wirfs and Epenesa are both returning next year... never heard of the site before and I tried to link it but I couldn't. Have no idea how accurate or what their actual knowledge is. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

I’m sure a website called “pro football rumors” has accurate information

What difference does it make anyway?????

Doesn’t matter what personnel is on the field. We are not going to win the West next year and maybe never as long as the same sheriff is in town.

How would I describe the Hawkeye football program. It’s very simple. Participation trophy football. The question every year will be whether it will be a gold, silver, or bronze participation trophy. Bronze 7-5, Silver 8-4 and gold 9-3. No big ten championship as we are always on the outside looking in. Some times even with three games left in the conference.

It’s maddening watching Kirk’s stubborn Bohemian/Polish pride when it comes to trying something different with the offense. Nope not going to do it. Why mess with the goose that lays the golden five million dollar egg every year?

Of course I am happy with the win and if we take the next two a 10-3 season will help numb the pain. Then next year comes and the Novocain wears off and the pain comes back as soon as we are knocked out of contention for the divisional title.

Ok,

I think both should go and get paid as 1st rounders. But I understand the allure of coming back as well if love college and the community.

I thought I saw that the university now pays for insurance policy if player decides to stay? If so how much/max they cover for student?

If words mean things, Epenesa was speaking yesterday after the game like a man who just played his last game at Kinnick (which I believe). Wirfs talked like a man who would be coming back. Just sayin'.

First round money is a life changing paycheck. To delay it for a year and take a chance on getting hurt? Wouldn't be the smart move.

First round money is a life changing paycheck. To delay it for a year and take a chance on getting hurt? Wouldn't be the smart move.
Totally agree. However, if they get hurt and never play a snap in the NFL, they'll make more money of their insurance policy than I will in 35 years of teaching and coaching.

What difference does it make anyway?????

Doesn’t matter what personnel is on the field. We are not going to win the West next year and maybe never as long as the same sheriff is in town.

How would I describe the Hawkeye football program. It’s very simple. Participation trophy football. The question every year will be whether it will be a gold, silver, or bronze participation trophy. Bronze 7-5, Silver 8-4 and gold 9-3. No big ten championship as we are always on the outside looking in. Some times even with three games left in the conference.

It’s maddening watching Kirk’s stubborn Bohemian/Polish pride when it comes to trying something different with the offense. Nope not going to do it. Why mess with the goose that lays the golden five million dollar egg every year?

Of course I am happy with the win and if we take the next two a 10-3 season will help numb the pain. Then next year comes and the Novocain wears off and the pain comes back as soon as we are knocked out of contention for the divisional title.

Dude ..

I think it’s quite plausible that Wirfs and AJ stay for another year. You look at what’s coming back next year, and it can be a special season ahead. AJ is just such a humble guy, and family and education is big in his life. He probably thinks he’s got a lot of improvement to make and maybe feels he didn’t meet his goals or feels like he wants to finish what he started.(like a big ten championship.) I would love to have him stay another year, but also understand if he doesn’t.
Next year is an open door of opportunities, Brian can work on 2-3 new plays, returning skill players, and most of all an untainted "Tabula Rasa" QB...

My question regards what people such as Geno Stone, Alaric Jackson and Chauncey Golston are going to do. I see honorable mention All-B1G for these three, but nothing more. Still, it makes me wonder.

I would imagine they both are gone and I don't blame either. Take the millions and have a great life.

AJE needs to take the first round money and run. 6'6" 280 with his speed and strength...and his game is made for the NFL where you don't get doubled and they scheme to get you an advantage.

Wirfs...well, that's more difficult. Here's the question, do you want to spend another year dominating and working on technique and preparation for the league...or do you want to get your head kicked in for a year competing against the elite pass rushers in the NFL. He may get moved inside for a year to allow him to develop, but being an OL in the NFL is brutal for most rookies, especially playing outside on an island blocking guys like Nick and Joey Bosa...among others.

With the insurance policies these guys get...It's less of a risk for catastrophic injury...but if you feel you have nothing to prove in college...I say go and get bank.