Preview, Prediction: Iowa-Ohio State

Hard to argue with Rob's prediction and his conclusion that it is really hard to even think of what a victory would look like.

It would have to be ugly, with turnovers and special/D scores. I guess it could be 23-20 Iowa with one long, broken coverage play on offense for a score, a special teams TD, and three short field FGs courtesy of defensive turnovers.

I disagree with Rob's comment that he doesn't expect Ohio St. to "move the ball up and down the field" with ease. Iowa's defensive players have said their game plan going into this game is to "prevent big plays". That means 2-deep safety looks and soft zone pass coverage the entire game...'making them earn' their points. That means a lot of relatively easy, long drives, i.e. like Michigan's first drive at Kinnick. I fully expect to see the Bucks take whatever Iowa will give them, since the Hawks have pretty much been transparent about their plan.

Honestly if Iowa holds OSU to 4 TDs and a couple of FGs that aint bad. Considering probbaly 12 posessions, half of them are punts or turnovers, 2 stops forcing FGs and 4 TDs. Not too bad really

I disagree with Rob's comment that he doesn't expect Ohio St. to "move the ball up and down the field" with ease. Iowa's defensive players have said their game plan going into this game is to "prevent big plays". That means 2-deep safety looks and soft zone pass coverage the entire game...'making them earn' their points. That means a lot of relatively easy, long drives, i.e. like Michigan's first drive at Kinnick. I fully expect to see the Bucks take whatever Iowa will give them, since the Hawks have pretty much been transparent about their plan.
Yup. I'm sure OSU will take some shots. But they'll most likely 'scratch where it itches' against us. Iowas D doesn't give up 40 yrd chunks but we give up 8-12 yard chunks in the passing game all the time. In that zone between the corners and the safeties there's a huge chunk of grass open and patient teams can go to that over and over if they want. To prevent that takes quick pressure and since we rarely blitz that means the front 4 has to do it and sometimes they can sometimes they can't... As the game goes on and they get tired the less effective our rush usually is.

It will be similar to the Notre Dame game where OSU grinds out a win...24-13, 27-10 something like that. It will be a mini prep for Michigan.

All that said, I do think Iowa gets 3 more wins and gets to a bowl game. Speaking of Notre Dame, beating them in the Mayo Bowl would be nice. Beating them wouldn't solve the litany of issues you would have to address in the off season, but you could end the season on a good note.

It will be similar to the Notre Dame game where OSU grinds out a win...24-13, 27-10 something like that. It will be a mini prep for Michigan.

All that said, I do think Iowa gets 3 more wins and gets to a bowl game. Speaking of Notre Dame, beating them in the Mayo Bowl would be nice. Beating them wouldn't solve the litany of issues you would have to address in the off season, but you could end the season on a good note.
Holy Crap! So, you're saying take the Hawks + points, straight-up?
I'm not there - Ohio State remembers 2017 and has publicly mentioned it this week.
I will include Iowa on my teaser parlay to cover 36 cuz I see this being 40 / 42 to 10. (Hey, I'm still betting the Hawks to "win" ;) )

No matter how much they lose by, nothing will happen and nothing will change. Just get tory to punt the season already

Rob, you predicted 10 points. Is the offense going to score that touchdown or you thinking defense? Maybe a kick return?

Another questions, which side of the ball gives up more points to Ohio State, the offense or the defense? Can the offense score more points than they give up to Ohio State?

Hard to argue with Rob's prediction and his conclusion that it is really hard to even think of what a victory would look like.

It would have to be ugly, with turnovers and special/D scores. I guess it could be 23-20 Iowa with one long, broken coverage play on offense for a score, a special teams TD, and three short field FGs courtesy of defensive turnovers.
A victory would look like the top defensive performance by any unit of the season, because I'm not even sure we get to Rob's prediction of 10 points.

We've all heard about how Iowa makes teams drive the length of the field without making mistakes, if they score kuddos to the other team. Well, that doesn't work so well against the elite offenses like it does the Iowa States of the world.
Our only chance is a reliving of the 2010 Iowa at OSU game, except without a QB taking his first start, rather we have a third year QB.

An Iowa victory would require a bunch of crap that isn't on film. It would require like 10-15 Wildcat plays that work and a shitload of 3 TE sets that Ohio just isn't ready for. And of course the o-line would have to come to play. We would need to put together at least 3 sustained drives that eat 6+ minutes of clock and end in touchdowns. We would need 3 TOs and probably an injury to Stroud. The defense would have to make Ohio work for every inch of ground. It would have to be a perfect Iowa game. I don't see it happening.

Latest posts