Preview, Prediction: B1G Championship Game

21-17 Hawks

Brian dials up some shit with those scripted plays on the opening drive and they score a touchdown. Wetjen returns a punt for a touchdown in the 3rd quarter and the final touchdown comes on a pick 6 by Castro. The int will come in the middle of the 4th to give Iowa a 21-10 lead. Michigan gets another touchdown, but Iowa hangs on to win.

Michigan comes into the game emotionally drained and overconfident and really doesn't get going until the 2nd quarter. Think '06 Alamo bowl against Texas, not an exact apples-to-apples comparison, but somewhat similar.

^^^^^^^Do I actually believe any of the bullshit in those 1st two paragraphs? No. I fully acknowledge I am just zagging. I'm doing the whole reverse psychology bit of agreeing with everyone that Iowa will get smoked and deep down inside hoping the opposite happens.

Last edited:
Iowa 21
Michigan 20

Iowa kicks off. Michigan drives down field and stalls. Field goal
Iowa gets the ball and its bootleg game is working and a gets a broken tackle TD to a TE
Michigan's drive stalls out at midfield. Punt. Iowa gets a TD through a missed assignment 70 yard KJ run.
Michigan starts to tighten up. They drive to midfield and there is a tip ball INT returned to the 4. Iowa punches it in.
Michigan drives the length of the field and scores. Iowa kneels for the last minute. 21-10 half time.

Iowa takes the opening drive and gets to the 45 and punts. The teams spend the rest of the 3rd quarter exchanging 6 play drives followed by punts. Total field position game, but Michigan slowly starts to win that.
Michigan scores a TD and a FG in the 4th quarter. Iowa does not get a first down in the 4th quarter, but keeps the clock running. Michigan is driving for the 3rd time for the game winning field goal when a receiver is stripped. Iowa recovers. Runs out clock.

Go Hawks!!!!!!

There is your 5% chance!!!

I with you, brother. I decided to zag, too.

This is the key.
Which we haven't been great about forcing a ton of this yr compared to past ones.. Our Dline and LBs are going to earn their schollys this game. Higgins and Jackson both will have to play their asses off. Michigan is going to want to run it down our throats all game. So unless we can get them in some 3rd and longs and get off the field we'll be in for a long night. I just wonder if say Iowa struggles against the run early if Parker makes any kind of adjustments in regards to bringing a safety down in the box. Only times I remember seeing him sneak them into the box is on passing downs usually to either blitz or fake it (the one we got burned on at Neb) He's always been reluctant to stack the box against the run on early downs

Which we haven't been great about forcing a ton of this yr compared to past ones.. Our Dline and LBs are going to earn their schollys this game. Higgins and Jackson both will have to play their asses off. Michigan is going to want to run it down our throats all game. So unless we can get them in some 3rd and longs and get off the field we'll be in for a long night. I just wonder if say Iowa struggles against the run early if Parker makes any kind of adjustments in regards to bringing a safety down in the box. Only times I remember seeing him sneak them into the box is on passing downs usually to either blitz or fake it (the one we got burned on at Neb) He's always been reluctant to stack the box against the run on early downs

He did against Rutgers (blitzed around 50% according to Hawkeyegamefilm), but they couldn't really hurt us through the air. Unfortunately, Michigan can, so we'll have to pick our poison.

He did against Rutgers (blitzed around 50% according to Hawkeyegamefilm), but they couldn't really hurt us through the air. Unfortunately, Michigan can, so we'll have to pick our poison.
Yeah but I think we blitzed LBs against Rutgers I don't remember him bringing Shulte or XN into the box on early downs much did he? But yeah regardless Michigan ain't Rutgers

Low scoring first half 10-3 Michigan.

Michigan pulls away in 2nd half.

Mich 23, Iowa 3.

Shampoo, rinse, repeat, basically repeating 2021. I can definitely see that. 2021 it was a 14-3 halftime score with Iowa botching a golden opportunity to score on that opening drive. Lets say Iowa gets momentum early...do you think Michigan still runs away with it?

7 things I will watch for:

1. Who wins the turnover battle.

2. Can Iowa's defense get Michigan off the field on 3rd down...especially 3rd and long? Do they get burned by their tight ends?

3. Will Michigan play straight up....or do they dial up trick plays of their own? Do they work?

4. Can Iowa jump out on them early and or survive the 1st and 2nd quarter onslaughts?

5. Luck factor, does Michigan lose a key player due to injury or ejection that Iowa can exploit?

6. Field position. Iowa does not have to score everytime out, but they do need to get some first downs that would allow Tory to pin Michigan deep.

7. Will Iowa break some tendancies offensively.....will they dial up some trick plays? Do they work?

Iowa is a dog for a reason, but don't count them out. This is a team that has only given up 3 defensive touchdowns in X amount of games.....it is almost close to 81 level defensive production. Just hang around Iowa, not give up anything big, and win field position.

Latest posts