Preview, Prediction: B1G Championship Game

What I want to happen and think will happen are pretty different things...

If Iowa is going to win it'll take Michigan turning it over and choking pretty much. And Iowa taking advantage of it. First to 20 wins. Even with great field position turnovers and unexpected great play I'm not sure Iowa is capable of putting up 30 pts. And it'll be tough to hold them under that. But crazier things have happened.

Rats- can't predict the upset here. If we were perfectly healthy, I might be able to devise an upset scenario. Perhaps hoping for the under to upset the multitudes expecting a Mich blow out will have to be victory enough......24-10, bad guys.

I don't expect us to get blown out but we have so many injuries. And if they blitz the hell out of us we will make mistakes. I would start Joey Labas for another great win.

We lost by 39 points in 2021, but only 13 points in 2022. If we continue this trend, we will win by 13. It's science.

If I was forced to bet my life-savings, I think it will be another 30+ point loss, but I feel like there is a glimmer of hope with this team who continually accomplishes the improbable.

Iowa 21
Michigan 20

Iowa kicks off. Michigan drives down field and stalls. Field goal
Iowa gets the ball and its bootleg game is working and a gets a broken tackle TD to a TE
Michigan's drive stalls out at midfield. Punt. Iowa gets a TD through a missed assignment 70 yard KJ run.
Michigan starts to tighten up. They drive to midfield and there is a tip ball INT returned to the 4. Iowa punches it in.
Michigan drives the length of the field and scores. Iowa kneels for the last minute. 21-10 half time.

Iowa takes the opening drive and gets to the 45 and punts. The teams spend the rest of the 3rd quarter exchanging 6 play drives followed by punts. Total field position game, but Michigan slowly starts to win that.
Michigan scores a TD and a FG in the 4th quarter. Iowa does not get a first down in the 4th quarter, but keeps the clock running. Michigan is driving for the 3rd time for the game winning field goal when a receiver is stripped. Iowa recovers. Runs out clock.

Go Hawks!!!!!!

There is your 5% chance!!!

Iowa 21
Michigan 20

Iowa kicks off. Michigan drives down field and stalls. Field goal
Iowa gets the ball and its bootleg game is working and a gets a broken tackle TD to a TE
Michigan's drive stalls out at midfield. Punt. Iowa gets a TD through a missed assignment 70 yard KJ run.
Michigan starts to tighten up. They drive to midfield and there is a tip ball INT returned to the 4. Iowa punches it in.
Michigan drives the length of the field and scores. Iowa kneels for the last minute. 21-10 half time.

Iowa takes the opening drive and gets to the 45 and punts. The teams spend the rest of the 3rd quarter exchanging 6 play drives followed by punts. Total field position game, but Michigan slowly starts to win that.
Michigan scores a TD and a FG in the 4th quarter. Iowa does not get a first down in the 4th quarter, but keeps the clock running. Michigan is driving for the 3rd time for the game winning field goal when a receiver is stripped. Iowa recovers. Runs out clock.

Go Hawks!!!!!!

There is your 5% chance!!!

I think any scenario involving an Iowa win depends heavily on turnovers and Kaleb Johnson long runs.

So they're due for a big turnover game?

Freaky things happen in football, sometimes. I am really not one to believe in luck and omens and such, but Michigan really seems to expressing a lot of hubris and is primed for some karmic justice. I just have a hard time believe that Iowa is the team that can deliver it. But if it happens...

One somewhat unlikely although not impossible path to an Iowa win is knocking McCarthy out of the game. I'm not saying anything dirty - but taking clean, punishing hits is something opponents have to deal with in playing Iowa.

Michigan is loaded with talent, including well into the depth chart, but rolling out the backup QB in a title game would be a major variable. Maybe he is out of synch and can't find a rhythm with his receivers. So Michigan relies on the run and becomes more one dimensional. Maybe he takes some hard hits himself and gets happy feet (after hardly being hit all year as the backup QB).

Take that Evans hit on Stroud at Ohio State last year. That had the potential to completely change the game. I wasn't sure Stroud was going to get up at first - plus it was a bonus touchdown for Iowa.

Latest posts