Preview: Hawkeyes Head Back into Big Ten Play at Purdue

This isn't quite a must win for making the tournament, but its definitely a must win to keep any small hope alive for playing in Des Moines.

IMHO the game hinges on 3 factors: 1. hold Edwards to under 20 points. He's poised to blow right by JBo on every play. We simply can't allow him to score 6, 7, 8 lay-ups!
2. Purdue shoots alot of 3's! We need to defend well against the 3 and force them to earn points the hard way.
3. Take the crowd out of the game early, and keep them out. It's hard to win there and we need all the help we can get- especially if Garza can't go. If he doesn't play or plays very limited mins, it'll be that much harder. If we win this game, we will have earned it!

giphy.gif
Hopefully, Iowa can handle Purdue.

Cnsix3RUEAA6J_N.jpg

In my country, Purdue is well known and a very respected basketball program in the Midwest of the United States. It could be a good victory.

I hope the ghost of Jim Bain doesn't show up.....start out hot, play solid defense, and defend that perimeter, rebound, etc...

If we win it will be a good step in the right direction, but only a step. You can’t do the Iowa State thing and get geared up against one team and then let down against several other teams.

This Purdue team should not by all rights be as good as last years team because of the players they lost. That gives Iowa a chance especially considering that the nucleus of last years team is back for Fran.

So the question to be answered is if one of Fran’s better more experience teams is as good as a average Purdue team? I hope so as a 0-3 start in conference is a bad start by anyone’s standards. Not that the team can’t rebound from 0-3 and go in a terror and win several in a row, but beating Purdue would be a great way to start a long winning streak.

I like our chances if Garza can play (like himself). I would certainly take Iowa and the 8 points if wagering on the game.

Iowa needs Cook and Garza to be really good in this one. Edwards will give Iowa's guards problems because he gives everyone problems.

IMHO the game hinges on 3 factors: 1. hold Edwards to under 20 points. He's poised to blow right by JBo on every play. We simply can't allow him to score 6, 7, 8 lay-ups!
2. Purdue shoots alot of 3's! We need to defend well against the 3 and force them to earn points the hard way.
3. Take the crowd out of the game early, and keep them out. It's hard to win there and we need all the help we can get- especially if Garza can't go. If he doesn't play or plays very limited mins, it'll be that much harder. If we win this game, we will have earned it!
This is what's going to make it a tall order. We've got to keep their PG out of the lane but we can't allow them to shoot 3 pointers. Pick your poison here. The best we can hope for is to slow down Edwards and hope that Purdue has an off night from 3 pt land. Which doesn't seem likely considering they are @ home. But it could happen.