Preview: Hawkeyes Aiming for Season Sweep of Indiana

They had the chance to beat a Maryland team, who is better than Indiana, while not shooting very well. Presuming they'll shoot better this game, and they'll play good defense, it will be an upset if they lose this one, meaning I'll be upset if they lose this one.

Although its obviously not a "must win" this feels like a huge game for the Hawks. Losing here and then travelling to Ohio State would be no bueno

There’s no such thing as a sure thing in the Big 10. But let’s assume the next 5 games are relatively “normal.”

Indiana - Lost 11 out of 12. The win happened when 2 abnormal things happened. MSU refused to make a FT. Indiana shot better than usual from 3. It took both for Indiana to get an OT win. Hawks Win.

Ohio State - 0-6 against the conference’s top 6 teams...3 losses at home and 3 on the road. Every game but one has been lost by double figures...the exception being a 9 point home loss to MSU. Four of remaining 5 against top 6 = NIT. Hawks Win.

Rutgers - Two conference road wins are PSU and NW by 4 and 3 respectively. They should have kept the talk of revenge in the locker room. Hawks Win.

Wisconsin - They are 5-3 at home...3 of the wins by single digits. Iowa is 1-5 against the top 5 with no road wins. Hawks Lose.

Nebraska - 2-6 since Copeland went down. 0-6 against the conference’s top 6 and 0-3 since Copeland went down with loss by 9 (home to low scoring Wisconsin) being closest game. Hawks Win.

There’s no such thing as a sure thing in the Big 10. But let’s assume the next 5 games are relatively “normal.”

Indiana - Lost 11 out of 12. The win happened when 2 abnormal things happened. MSU refused to make a FT. Indiana shot better than usual from 3. It took both for Indiana to get an OT win. Hawks Win.

Ohio State - 0-6 against the conference’s top 6 teams...3 losses at home and 3 on the road. Every game but one has been lost by double figures...the exception being a 9 point home loss to MSU. Four of remaining 5 against top 6 = NIT. Hawks Win.

Rutgers - Two conference road wins are PSU and NW by 4 and 3 respectively. They should have kept the talk of revenge in the locker room. Hawks Win.

Wisconsin - They are 5-3 at home...3 of the wins by single digits. Iowa is 1-5 against the top 5 with no road wins. Hawks Lose.

Nebraska - 2-6 since Copeland went down. 0-6 against the conference’s top 6 and 0-3 since Copeland went down with loss by 9 (home to low scoring Wisconsin) being closest game. Hawks Win.
I would take all the above. Just praying don’t have a complete collapse like 3 yrs ago!

If Iowa plays to the level of Indiana they could easily get beat. They haven't shown much of a killer instinct in putting teams away.

Who woulda thunk, this team is so much fun to watch this year! 20 wins and 6 losses is a big turn around from last year. I'm enjoying watching this team. We're in a good shape. and don't be an azz when we lose. Stay positive.
giphy.gif

Iowa has seemed to respond well to adversity. But 3 consecutive physically draining close games and a short turnaround from a close loss Tuesday to tonight has me a little worried. Indiana also played Tuesday and almost won scoring less than 50 points. So I don't know who has an advantage in the psychological game here. I feel if a big Friday night crowd can consistently keep the building loud Indiana will fold eventually, because that's what they've done all season. My heart says Iowa will respond to the close loss by making 10 3's and Garza and Cook return to dominance but my gut tells me the late season grind is starting to take it's toll on this team and it will be closer than it should be. I'll take any win but gosh I would love to see a double digit blowout in this spot.

Latest posts