Pressure off Fran and Hawks

Go for it.. Fran couldn’t hold a candle to KF accomplishments at the manor division level. It could change but based on what I’ve seen out of Fran, I highly doubt it. Fran has coached at the mid majors for 14 out of his 22 years and appears he is that a Mid Major level coach..
I actually don't think it's fair, cuz Kirk's lost to more cupcakes than Fran. :p

Go for it.. Fran couldn’t hold a candle to KF accomplishments at the manor division level. It could change but based on what I’ve seen out of Fran, I highly doubt it. Fran has coached at the mid majors for 14 out of his 22 years and appears he is that a Mid Major level coach..
Hey, btw have you seen the thread about Fran's championship defense video for sale?

How can you say that good players lost every close game and the coaching is fine? That is on the coaching too.

Good players under Fran? Win 20 games and lose every close game.
Average players under Fran? Win 10 games and not even be in close games.

My stance has always been players win close games in basketball. In football, coaches have a lot more control over close games. In basketball, there isn't much a coach can do.

My other point in that post is, when you either blow a team out or lose a close game, you were a lot closer to being better than being worse. If you find players with the same skill level as those teams, and were also clutch, they would win 25 games instead of 20 with Fran coaching the exact same way.

How can you say that good players lost every close game and the coaching is fine? That is on the coaching too.

Good players under Fran? Win 20 games and lose every close game.
Average players under Fran? Win 10 games and not even be in close games.

He had the silliest caveat. (paraphrasing) "Fran is fine as long as he has veteran talented players." He doesn't understand the most important aspect of coaching. lol

I didn’t realize there Was pressure on Fran or this year’s team?

But there probably is now to not finish in last or with a worse record than Fran’s first team.

Kirk Ferentz record as a head coach= 155-118 (56.7%) = Legend!
Fran McCaffery record as a head coach= 397-286 (58.1%)= Not Legend

powuj.jpg
No kidding!

I think we're forgetting how bad Lickliter's teams were. I don't forget. I remember the athletic dept. giving away free pizza and hot dogs to get the students to come out. Aside from Gatens show me a player that would start on this year's team. I'll wait.

Roster
Player # Class Pos Height Weight Hometown Summary

Matt Gatens 5 SO G 6-5 212 Iowa City, IA 12.2 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 3.3 Ast
Aaron Fuller 21 SO F 6-6 235 Mesa, AZ 9.7 Pts, 6.2 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Eric May 25 FR G 6-5 219 Dubuque, IA 9.0 Pts, 4.6 Reb, 1.4 Ast
Cully Payne 1 FR G 6-1 180 Schaumburg, IL 8.7 Pts, 3.0 Reb, 3.8 Ast
Jarryd Cole 50 JR F 6-7 250 Kansas City, MO 8.1 Pts, 5.2 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Anthony Tucker 1 SO G 6-4 200 Minnetonka, MN 11.9 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 2.9 Ast
Brennan Cougill 44 FR F 6-9 265 Sioux City, IA 4.0 Pts, 3.0 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Devan Bawinkel 15 SR G 6-5 210 Winnebago, IL 3.1 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 0.4 Ast
John Lickliter 34 FR G 5-11 170 Iowa City, IA 1.9 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Andrew Brommer 20 SO F 6-9 247 Rosemount, MN 1.7 Pts, 1.3 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Nick Neari 13 FR G 6-2 185 St. Charles, IL 0.1 Pts, 0.1 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Gatens and Tucker would probably go 26-40 from 3pt land on this Iowa team!

our starting point guard cannot even take andrew dakich off the dribble. however, since he was B1G freshman of the year, we need to keep him at pg. that's the consensus on this board. the time is now to move bohannon to sg and daily to pg. just needs to be. moss isn't proving he's ready and that is a huge disappointment for me. cook, garza, baer, daily and bohannon. pemsl needs to start taking 15 footers and make a valid %. nunge needs to shoot more. but the overriding problem with this team is lack of speed on defense at the guard position. not sure how this team can overcome that, this season. fran needs to get creative and 'find a way' to bring in at least 1 quick and fast guard. hell, keep conner as a walkon and use that scholly for an '18 juco guard that will play defense.

Excellent post! Spot on!!

yeah, I really get why people are upset at Fran. When you put all 8 years combined, he's been very average. I can say that now, I couldn't before this season. I've defended Fran like crazy on here, because I thought some of the criticism was premature and people were unhappy with his results when Iowa was doing pretty well when you considered all the factors he dealt with coming to Iowa. Last season, I felt like he should be given a year to reload and like I've said a billion times before, Iowa has never been to the dance 4 times in a row, so I wasn't that "hot" about it when we missed last season. Well, the results are trickling in and I am able to look at the program with wider lens, and this is not good.

And comparing Fran and Kirk is hilarious. Fran hasn't had the success Kirk has had, he hasn't had the wins Kirk has had, the conference titles, the big post season wins or NCOY awards and most of all... Kirk hasn't had teams that are this over matched this far into his program. 2012 is the only blip and there was major turnover in his staff. What is happening at Iowa for basketball right now is inexcusable.

Yeah you gave me hell a few times for questioning Fran.

When you have followed college basketball for almost fifty years like I have you learn to identify hairline fractures before the average joe can see the craters in the road before they realize there is a problem.

It’s all good though. Just glad most of you are starting to see the craters.

Latest posts