Pressure off Fran and Hawks

I'm hoping for sophomore slumps and freshmen bigs that won't have sophomore slumps next year. Oh, and Joe to be a 1 and done type player who wants a degree really really bad.
Joe is one and done like Cook was one and done or will be a three and done.

Anyone comparing Fran and Kirk are clueless as can be!!!
Kirk Ferentz record as a head coach= 155-118 (56.7%) = Legend!
Fran McCaffery record as a head coach= 397-286 (58.1%)= Not Legend

powuj.jpg

Last edited:
It is different type of hole being dug. Inept and uneven recruiting combined with lackluster schemes on defense is leading to Lick like results though.

We were pretty good 2 years in a row while losing almost every close game we played. I think the coaching is fine given in the right players. Average players who are young are not the right players.

The unfortunate thing is they've shown beyond a doubt that they will be nothing other than average players. That's not counting the freshmen. They still might end up good.

our starting point guard cannot even take andrew dakich off the dribble. however, since he was B1G freshman of the year, we need to keep him at pg. that's the consensus on this board. the time is now to move bohannon to sg and daily to pg. just needs to be. moss isn't proving he's ready and that is a huge disappointment for me. cook, garza, baer, daily and bohannon. pemsl needs to start taking 15 footers and make a valid %. nunge needs to shoot more. but the overriding problem with this team is lack of speed on defense at the guard position. not sure how this team can overcome that, this season. fran needs to get creative and 'find a way' to bring in at least 1 quick and fast guard. hell, keep conner as a walkon and use that scholly for an '18 juco guard that will play defense.

I'm not sure where this team finds a win in conference play. Fran and his staff are evidently not capable of coaching defense.
I’ve said it before. I’ll say it again.

Fran wasn’t brought in to coach a great defense. Fans wanted an exciting, running offense.

We got it.

With average defense and a exciting, running offense this program is good. Without it and a bad defense this is what we get.

Barta makes me more angry than Fran or Kirk. He doesn't have the stones to do anything besides sit on his hands and watch us fail at fucking everything.

This is correct. Paid 550k a year to make Iowa irrelevant. Comes into the office around 9ish - hops on the computer and checks his sick days/vacation days and calls wife to plan how to take 90 days worth of paid vacation - takes a 2 hour lunch on the University credit card - then a little golfing with the donor class - gets home around 4 pm. Sits in his 4,000 dollar massage chair and dreams about his early retirement to the Virgin Islands. Wakes up the next day and is driven to work in the University-Provided Mercedes AMG G-class SUV. Has his secretary confirm he and Kirk will take the private jet in February to board whatever cruise ship they booked this year. Reminds his secretary that he wants the 5,000-a-day Adnan Kashoggi suite on the cruise ship. Calls his wife to make sure she went and purchased 5,000 dollars worth of scuba gear last week. Talks to a reporter from Newsweek who asks him if the rumors are true that the Univ. of IA is changing its name to NAU . . .etc.

NAU----->NoAccountabilityUniversity

Last edited:
This is correct. Paid 550k a year to make Iowa irrelevant. Comes into the office around 9ish - hops on the computer and checks his sick days/vacation days and calls wife to plan how to take 90 days worth of paid vacation - takes a 2 hour lunch on the University credit card - then a little golfing with the donor class - gets home around 4 pm. Sits in his 4,000 dollar massage chair and dreams about his early retirement to the US Virgin Islands. Wakes up the next day and is driven to work in the University-Provided Mercedes AMG G-class SUV. Has his secretary confirm he and Kirk will take the private jet in February to board whatever cruise ship they booked this year. Reminds his secretary that he wants the 5,000-a-day Adnan Kashoggi suite on the cruise ship. Calls his wife to make sure she went and purchased 5,000 dollars worth of scuba gear last week. Talks to a reporter from Newsweek who asks him if the rumors are true that the Univ. of IA is changing its name to NAU . . .etc.

NAU----->NoAccountabilityUniversity
You should take a look at his house.

I've seen quite enough of guys loafing on D and not bringing the attitude. Hope Mac plays the players who are gonna be our future and sits guys "just not into it". Would rather see guys making mistakes than sophs and juniors still making the same mistakes.

I don't think a hole is being dug at all. We've got too many young players and good recruits to fall into another Lick type hole. Our program will still be fine if Fran gets fired next year. It really does suck that this happened tho. I really wonder what this year would look like if we would have lost to Maryland and Wisconsin last year. They might have come into the year hungry instead of arrogant. It might have made a difference.
Good recruits ???? Unless you think Nunge and Garza are going to show up with someone else’s feet they will still be below average as seniors. Hence the juniors we have on the team

Um, I think we can officially drop the "good recruits" line, at least with the current roster.

I think they could. They took the air out of the ball and struggled to score but a team of midgets could score 70 on this team

I think we're forgetting how bad Lickliter's teams were. I don't forget. I remember the athletic dept. giving away free pizza and hot dogs to get the students to come out. Aside from Gatens show me a player that would start on this year's team. I'll wait.

Roster
Player # Class Pos Height Weight Hometown Summary

Matt Gatens 5 SO G 6-5 212 Iowa City, IA 12.2 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 3.3 Ast
Aaron Fuller 21 SO F 6-6 235 Mesa, AZ 9.7 Pts, 6.2 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Eric May 25 FR G 6-5 219 Dubuque, IA 9.0 Pts, 4.6 Reb, 1.4 Ast
Cully Payne 1 FR G 6-1 180 Schaumburg, IL 8.7 Pts, 3.0 Reb, 3.8 Ast
Jarryd Cole 50 JR F 6-7 250 Kansas City, MO 8.1 Pts, 5.2 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Anthony Tucker 1 SO G 6-4 200 Minnetonka, MN 11.9 Pts, 3.5 Reb, 2.9 Ast
Brennan Cougill 44 FR F 6-9 265 Sioux City, IA 4.0 Pts, 3.0 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Devan Bawinkel 15 SR G 6-5 210 Winnebago, IL 3.1 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 0.4 Ast
John Lickliter 34 FR G 5-11 170 Iowa City, IA 1.9 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Andrew Brommer 20 SO F 6-9 247 Rosemount, MN 1.7 Pts, 1.3 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Nick Neari 13 FR G 6-2 185 St. Charles, IL 0.1 Pts, 0.1 Reb, 0.3 Ast

Good recruits ???? Unless you think Nunge and Garza are going to show up with someone else’s feet they will still be below average as seniors. Hence the juniors we have on the team

I think Woody was just as slow as Garza and he played great defense.

Kirk Ferentz record as a head coach= 155-118 (56.7%) = Legend!
Fran McCaffery record as a head coach= 397-286 (58.1%)= Not Legend

powuj.jpg

You know why I luv this don't you.

Half the board right now is saying to themselves, "Someone gets it. Fran's a legend."

On a not-serious-at-all note. If Fran could somehow stay here for 19 years he would leave as the all-time winningest coach.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
I think Woody was just as slow as Garza and he played great defense.
Woody was a little quicker than Garza but that isn’t saying much . Woody was a better rebounder even though he couldn’t jump over a music CD. Woody was an OK at best defender. Yes he tried and played hard but you have to be athletic to be a good defender. Woody was over 7 ft and he was almost tied for last on the team in blocked shots and he was completely non existent at protecting the rim

yeah, I really get why people are upset at Fran. When you put all 8 years combined, he's been very average. I can say that now, I couldn't before this season. I've defended Fran like crazy on here, because I thought some of the criticism was premature and people were unhappy with his results when Iowa was doing pretty well when you considered all the factors he dealt with coming to Iowa. Last season, I felt like he should be given a year to reload and like I've said a billion times before, Iowa has never been to the dance 4 times in a row, so I wasn't that "hot" about it when we missed last season. Well, the results are trickling in and I am able to look at the program with wider lens, and this is not good.

And comparing Fran and Kirk is hilarious. Fran hasn't had the success Kirk has had, he hasn't had the wins Kirk has had, the conference titles, the big post season wins or NCOY awards and most of all... Kirk hasn't had teams that are this over matched this far into his program. 2012 is the only blip and there was major turnover in his staff. What is happening at Iowa for basketball right now is inexcusable.

Reactions: DJL
I'm not sure where this team finds a win in conference play. Fran and his staff are evidently not capable of coaching defense.
. Just read an article where a former player at Iowa for Fran said they worked very little in practice on playing defense. Looks to me like that really shows.

Latest posts