Pressure is on KF, time to deliver

WinOneThisCentury

I'm sure many of you are feeling much that same as I do. How does three months alter the image of Hawkeye Football from everything going in the right direction to the depths we now find the program. I didn't have Jon Miller expectations (12-0), but I honestly felt, with the schedule and the games at home with the top teams in the B10, that we would most certainly be BCS bound somewhere.

Now the program appears in complete disarray, with clouds and vultures circling at every pass. How can this all go so wrong and the image of Iowa Football get tainted so quickly?

The DJK thing, well, it doesn't surprise me that much and if anything I owe KF an apology for thinking he didn't know how to handle an outgoing, personality filled talent like DJK. I now understand KF's direction with this kid...and I think he had his teams interests and probably DJK's interests at heart. The fact that DJK was willing to put everything on the line for drugs, just shows how insecure and reckless he was. He will learn from this hopefully.

I certainly have issues with our offensive conservatism, but for the most part, the only thing that has bothered me is the way they played at Minnesota. That performance doesn't personify Hawkeye Football. They weren't there to win that game...and they truly didn't show heart. This runs against everything Iowa Football is known for. I get the dejection of close losses, the unmet expectations, but when you show up to play Iowa Football, you leave it all out there as per every other contest I've witnessed over the past three years. This team didn't quit against Arizona, Wisconsin, NW, or Ohio State and I respect that. Why Minnesota?

KF needs to get this team on the same page and get them ready to play. I believe this bowl game provides the opportunity to say the DJK issue is isolated and the issues from the Minnesota game have brought us together. If there was ever a 'backs against the wall' type of motivation, this is it.

I'm curious to see which team shows up and how much emotion they play with. I'm hopeful they play with heart and passion because I can respect that even in a loss. I just can't get past the emotionless effort in that Minnesota game.

He just got an extension on his contract...what kind of pressure is he under?

To show that he can get his team ready to play and he hasn't lost this team. I for one don't want to wait 8 months to erase the images of our defense getting physically abused at the end of the Minnesota game.

Exactly, Ferentz is not being held, and never has been, accountable or held responsible for the continual problems this program has had over the past 4-5 years. There have been drug/alcohol problems (even his own son), players leaving and end of season collapses twice in that time frame. Lots of players have been sent packing but the problems continue. Now we have another end of season collapse, several players apparently departing of their own accord and drug issues reappearing. At what point does Barta and/or the University address the source of these problems and force Ferentz to get these problems fixed or else.

That's pretty funny. Here's some info that you don't know but should. Ferentz isn't paid for wins/season. He's paid for butts in the seats. We just sold out this year. That's like an undefeated season in Barta's mind.

To show that he can get his team ready to play and he hasn't lost this team. I for one don't want to wait 8 months to erase the images of our defense getting physically abused at the end of the Minnesota game.

Gimme that instant gratification cause I want it and I deserve it!

How old are you anyway? :(

That's pretty funny. Here's some info that you don't know but should. Ferentz isn't paid for wins/season. He's paid for butts in the seats. We just sold out this year. That's like an undefeated season in Barta's mind.

No its not. Not even close and it will count for little if the Iowa brand is seriously damaged along the way.

Players leaving? Are you seriously holding that against him? This isn't Jake Kelly, Tyler Smith, or Aaron Fuller transferring to another school. This Shonn Greene, Bryan Bulaga, and Amari Spievey going pro while their stock is high. I suppose Calipari should be on the hot seat because he lost 4 guys after their freshman season last year? (He should probably be for how he got them there in the first place, but that's another topic)

As much crap as we all give Barta (me included) the firing of TL proves the other way given the money paid with years left. That being said, KF is certainly in a different spot.

I doubt Barta is quite happy with our season given where we could have and should have gone. We don't fire KF after a bad season. That should be quite clear after the Jake Christiansen days and those expectations. Only because they way KF came back and won games.

The thing we (ourselves and Barta inlcuded) will have to go off of for next year will be how we adjust, or don't. How we do in the bowl game and more importantly next year, will be another test. It just is what it is.

Ferentz isn't under pressure and won't be until we suck for a long stretch. The University isn't going to do anything to someone who is worshiped in the state until it falls apart.

Plus if we hypothetically fired (not that we will or should for a long time) Kirk we'd have to pay him a lot of money. We're already paying two b-ball coaches.

No its not. Not even close and it will count for little if the Iowa brand is seriously damaged along the way.

Uh...ya it is. Barta kneels down at the feet of Ferentz. And for good reason. He's bringing in the money. Why would you try and alienate your money maker? As long as we're selling out the stadium Barta isn't going to say "boo" to Ferentz.

Also, are you implying that the Iowa brand is being damaged now? Or in jeopardy of somehow being damaged? Because things have been a hundred times worse than they are currently so I don't understand the panic.

Exactly, Ferentz is not being held, and never has been, accountable or held responsible for the continual problems this program has had over the past 4-5 years. There have been drug/alcohol problems (even his own son), players leaving and end of season collapses twice in that time frame. Lots of players have been sent packing but the problems continue. Now we have another end of season collapse, several players apparently departing of their own accord and drug issues reappearing. At what point does Barta and/or the University address the source of these problems and force Ferentz to get these problems fixed or else.
I think your definition of being the coach and his responsibilities are way out of wack.

Uh...ya it is. Barta kneels down at the feet of Ferentz. And for good reason. He's bringing in the money. Why would you try and alienate your money maker? As long as we're selling out the stadium Barta isn't going to say "boo" to Ferentz.

Also, are you implying that the Iowa brand is being damaged now? Or in jeopardy of somehow being damaged? Because things have been a hundred times worse than they are currently so I don't understand the panic.

Agreed. Now if half the team were to get busted in this DJK/drug thing, THEN the image would be damaged. However, that is just speculation at this point. Unless that stuff happens, the program's image is not in any danger.

As much crap as we all give Barta (me included) the firing of TL proves the other way given the money paid with years left. .

I really wasn't trying to imply that Barta was spineless. More that he's a smart man. If you are bringing in the money that Iowa football is right now, you're not going to look to throw it away. Period. There's no reason to gamble throwing it away as long as it's paying the bills. Now if things started going real south and attendance and revenue showed a similar decline, than I'm sure Barta would start to apply some pressure.

Responding to the OP's question. The reason why Iowa didn't show up for Minnesota is quite simple and was completely predictable. They were emotionally and physically spent. After 2 crushing defeats in a row, the team was in the tank.

How many fans had given up after the Ohio State game? Just about everyone. Were you excited or pumped up for the Minnesota game? I don't know any fan that was, so how are the players just supposed to magically be excited? These are 18-22 year old kids. If you ever played sports on any level, you would know it's impossible to get up for every game you play. It's even more difficult after getting beat down by 2 last minute defeats. Minnesota was in the exact opposite situation and was the team that wanted it more. That game is a complete throw away in my mind and not representative of KF coached teams, nor the team you will see in the bowl game.

Responding to the OP's question. The reason why Iowa didn't show up for Minnesota is quite simple and was completely predictable. They were emotionally and physically spent. After 2 crushing defeats in a row, the team was in the tank.

How many fans had given up after the Ohio State game? Just about everyone. Were you excited or pumped up for the Minnesota game? I don't know any fan that was, so how are the players just supposed to magically be excited? These are 18-22 year old kids. If you ever played sports on any level, you would know it's impossible to get up for every game you play. It's even more difficult after getting beat down by 2 last minute defeats. Minnesota was in the exact opposite situation and was the team that wanted it more. That game is a complete throw away in my mind and not representative of KF coached teams, nor the team you will see in the bowl game.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. Not that I was in a high level of sports, but our record played no outcome when I played a rival. Also, when we were out of it record-wise (it was soccer) I played my a** off. The drive to play is always there when you are playing a game you love to play.

KF has a plan, he will win a national title before his days here are done.

Sorry, but a quick question. I have seen your logo with both Northwestern and Iowa cap logos. Which are you wearing? Not a dig in any way, just trying to understand.

Sorry, but a quick question. I have seen your logo with both Northwestern and Iowa cap logos. Which are you wearing? Not a dig in any way, just trying to understand.

The NW cap was a photshop job by OK4P. He borrowed Tex's avatar for his switch to being a Wildcat fan.

KF has a plan, he will win a national title before his days here are done.

Hawkfanin I used to believe you were a voice of truth & reason in this world of craziness now I just think you are as whacked as the others that think this is within reach.

Latest posts